Post a reply

Should the BBC keep Dave Farrar for snooker commentary?

Yes
46%
Yes and get rid of Dennis Taylor
35%
No
19%

Total votes : 26

Dave Farrar

Postby ROS147

As far as I’m concerned Dave Farrar is the best thing to happen to the BBC commentary team in a bloody long time. Would you like the BBC to keep him on for snooker comms?

Re: Dave Farrar

Postby SnookerEd25

I would give John Parrott & Dennis Taylor’s voiceboxes for them to keep him on.

Postby ROS147

SnookerEd25 wrote:I would give John Parrott & Dennis Taylor’s voiceboxes for them to keep him on.

Yes.

Postby Ck147

SnookerEd25 wrote:I would give John Parrott & Dennis Taylor’s voiceboxes for them to keep him on.

Unlikely - they are player-commentators they always get teamed up with a non-player commentator, like Farrar, who gets a "yes" vote from me.

Postby SnookerEd25

ROS147 wrote:Who voted no? Explain yourself.

DENNIS!
or JP

They’ve been exposed...

Postby vodkadiet1

Farrar needs to start talking about the nonsense sport of golf every other frame and he would then be guaranteed a job for life!

Postby lhpirnie

I give him my full support. BBC really do need to freshen up their commentary team. So far, Dave Farrar has been a little bit pedestrian, but of course it will take time for his personality to come through. Things I hope he can avoid:

(1) Don't try to be a statto - it's usually not that compelling telling us how many centuries a player made in the season

(2) Don't get sucked into this continual 1980's nostalgia like the other commentators - stay in the present

(3) Don't try to simulate a 'dramatic' voice - describe the drama not act it out

Postby chengdufan

lhpirnie wrote:I give him my full support. BBC really do need to freshen up their commentary team. So far, Dave Farrar has been a little bit pedestrian, but of course it will take time for his personality to come through. Things I hope he can avoid:
(1) Don't try to be a statto - it's usually not that compelling telling us how many centuries a player made in the season
(2) Don't get sucked into this continual 1980's nostalgia like the other commentators - stay in the present
(3) Don't try to simulate a 'dramatic' voice - describe the drama not act it out

I agree with 2+3. Disagree with 1. I love the stats.

Postby lhpirnie

chengdufan wrote:
lhpirnie wrote:I give him my full support. BBC really do need to freshen up their commentary team. So far, Dave Farrar has been a little bit pedestrian, but of course it will take time for his personality to come through. Things I hope he can avoid:

I agree, the stats can be great. What I meant was not to keep telling us the same old lame stats, and try to become 'Mr Statto'. It's a bit too easy for a commentator to copy down a few stats from Cuetracker, then repeat them over and over during a match. I'd much prefer if he knew about a player's background, who his coach is, where he practices.

Postby sundaygirl

I just like the fact he is a professional commentator and does some preparation pre match.
My father who is a more general sports fan and only watches the big three bbc tournaments really likes him.

Postby chengdufan

lhpirnie wrote:
chengdufan wrote:

I agree, the stats can be great. What I meant was not to keep telling us the same old lame stats, and try to become 'Mr Statto'. It's a bit too easy for a commentator to copy down a few stats from Cuetracker, then repeat them over and over during a match. I'd much prefer if he knew about a player's background, who his coach is, where he practices.

Can't argue with that.

Postby chengdufan

sundaygirl wrote:I just like the fact he is a professional commentator and does some preparation pre match.
My father who is a more general sports fan and only watches the big three bbc tournaments really likes him.

:goodpost:

Postby Dan-cat

chengdufan wrote:
sundaygirl wrote:I just like the fact he is a professional commentator and does some preparation pre match.

Here is in the flesh! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dRpW4TeFt0c

Postby vodkadiet1

Unlike Dennis Taylor who doesn't know who you are unless you have won The World Championship, played golf against him, or look like you have been in a boy band!

Postby SnookerEd25

Dan-cat wrote:
chengdufan wrote:

Here is in the flesh! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dRpW4TeFt0c

Oh my. Naked? I don’t think i’m quite prepared for that Mr. Cat :phew:

Postby badtemperedcyril

I like Dave Farrar. I'd say it's unlikely the BBC will keep him on once Virgo and Ebdon are back because they're obsessed with having former players, which was one of the reasons they axed the doyen of the commentary box, Clive Everton.

It does annoy me when such a well known snooker personality as Dennis gets his historical facts so hopelessly incorrect. There was one session he was commentating on last week when they started talking about Fred Davis. Dennis came in with: "The great Fred Davis - ten time World Champion"... really Dennis, I'm pretty sure it's EIGHT. He then followed up with "of course, in those days they played on a challenge basis" (!!!)... Nooooo, Dennis, the challenge system was between 1964 and 68. Every single one of Fred's titles came when it was played under the usual Knock Out format.

So given the choice of Dennis or Dave Farrar, I'd retain Dave.

Postby HustleKing

Actually don't like him personally and actually prefer Virgo and Taylor and Yates.

Just don't like his voice when commentating on snooker, but find his more animated football voice fine

Postby Pink Ball

HustleKing wrote:Actually don't like him personally and actually prefer Virgo and Taylor and Yates.

Just don't like his voice when commentating on snooker, but find his more animated football voice fine

"I find sex boring, and I'm not a fan of music. Music in general."

Postby SnookerFan

badtemperedcyril wrote:I like Dave Farrar. I'd say it's unlikely the BBC will keep him on once Virgo and Ebdon are back because they're obsessed with having former players, which was one of the reasons they axed the doyen of the commentary box, Clive Everton.

It does annoy me when such a well known snooker personality as Dennis gets his historical facts so hopelessly incorrect. There was one session he was commentating on last week when they started talking about Fred Davis. Dennis came in with: "The great Fred Davis - ten time World Champion"... really Dennis, I'm pretty sure it's EIGHT. He then followed up with "of course, in those days they played on a challenge basis" (!!!)... Nooooo, Dennis, the challenge system was between 1964 and 68. Every single one of Fred's titles came when it was played under the usual Knock Out format.

So given the choice of Dennis or Dave Farrar, I'd retain Dave.

rofl :goodpost:

Postby Alex0paul

Bad tempered Cyril is definitely a blast from the 606 past

Postby Alex0paul

badtemperedcyril wrote:
Alex0paul wrote:Bad tempered Cyril is definitely a blast from the 606 past
Have you missed him? :wave:

I cry every night

Postby SnookerFan

Alex0paul wrote:
badtemperedcyril wrote:
Alex0paul wrote:Bad tempered Cyril is definitely a blast from the 606 past
Have you missed him? :wave:

I cry every night

Because you miss him, or just generally?