Post a reply

Murphy calls Ronnie "Offensive, Pathetic, Unprofessional"

Postby Roland

RONNIE O'SULLIVAN has been branded 'offensive... pathetic... unprofessional' by rival Shaun Murphy.

The 2005 world snooker champ rapped The Rocket for refusing to complete a 147 at last month's World Open because of the meagre £4,000 prize money on offer.

Multi-millionaire O'Sullivan caused outrage for downing his cue just one black ball away from a maximum and had to be persuaded by the ref to return to the table and finish off.

Murphy blasted: "I thought it was pathetic, unprofessional. It was disrespectful to the public who had paid to come and watch him play. Four thousand pounds is a lot of money to a lot of people. It was bad taste."

O'Sullivan insists it was never about the money but admitted he gets no thrill from clearing up these days.

The Rocket has endured a flood of criticism for his actions from fans and players.

The three-time world champ suffers with depression and mood swings and his volatile nature has got him into several scrapes with the authorities, including a fine for a foul-mouthed outburst at a Press conference in China.

Murphy reckons the game's most gifted player gets unfair favouritism from snooker bosses.

He said: "I'm a bit tired of all this 'Ronnie's Ronnie' stuff. I don't subscribe to it, that he should be allowed to get away with it.

"There's no doubt Ronnie is the biggest draw in snooker and he is the person everyone flocks to watch.

"Snooker is better with Ronnie than without. He creates a buzz and I enjoy playing him.

"We play in the Premier League this week. As far as the players are concerned he is the benchmark even though he is not No1. But from a bloke's perspective, I watched what he did on TV and didn't like it.

"Some of my mates thought it was quite funny when I told them but for the people who saw it, it was quite offensive."

Murphy, 28, and O'Sullivan will meet at the inaugural Sun-backed Power Snooker one-day tournament on October 30.

Eight of the world's best players will slug it out for a winner's cheque of £35,000 at the O2 Arena.

World champion Neil Robertson, Ding Junhui, Mark Selby, Jimmy White, Belgian whizkid Luca Brecel and Ali Carter join Murphy and O'Sullivan in the shootout.

Murphy said: "It's another example of how snooker has changed in the last 12 months. We were all feeling a bit negative about the future of the game 18 months ago.

"Now there's between 20 and 25 events. None of us thought this was possible a while back. It was like pulling teeth trying to get sponsors involved.

"It's a great time to be a snooker player and I'm delighted to be part of it. Snooker is at the best level it's ever been as far as potential is concerned."

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sp ... 7-row.html

Re: Murphy calls Ronnie "Offensive, Pathetic, Unprofessional

Postby Monique

Ronnie certainly didn't think how his "stunt" would come across for people who struggle to make a living on less than 1000£ or even 500 £ and that certainly wasn't very considerate at the minimum.

On the other hand Shaun might be well inspired to ask himself if he would play in 25 tournaments this season if Ronnie hadn't made this outburst in the Masters 2009 for which he got so much stick at the time. It wasn't a diplomatic move but it was the expression of the despair many players were feeling about the stale state of the game and their unlikely future. It got the people thinking and speaking, and in the end it got things moving for better.

Having said that Shaun in entitled his opinion like everyone. I also, as always, would like to know what Shaun said exactly and how he was brought to say it. Ronnie's quotes have been taken out of context many times by journalists and there is no reason they would not do it with others.

Postby Eirebilly

I am a bit confused Mon, do you think that Ronnies outburst in 09 is the reason why there are now 25 tournements?

I dont think that Murphy's comments were taken out of context as he does have prior and is never short of a disparaging thought towards Ronnie.

Postby Monique

Yes Billy I think that if nobody had had the guts to expose the situation as it was, when the board was doing its best to keep the players in hypocrite silence, it would have gone on, we would still have the old board in charge and we would have 6-7 tournaments maximum this year. I'm not saying it was Ronnie's plan to stir a revolution, I don't think he had any plans at all, he was just being himself, but his outburst was a catalyst for a change.
Sometimes this world needs the fools and rebels to go forward and Ronnie does exactly that for snooker.

Postby Casey

I think a bit of needle is a good thing. Ronnie v Selby has plenty, but that's about the only big one at the minute. Higgins v Ronnie will probably dissipate now, although there is no needle between them.

Postby SnookerFan

Judging this situation based on what has happened now, rather then what happened in 2009, then I am torn.

On the first part, I think it's good to hear somebody within the game who isn't afraid to say when they think Ronnie is in the wrong. By listening to commentators, anybody would think Ronnie is Mother Theresa incarnate. I personally get sick of certain commentators creaming themselves everytime he walks to the table, and especially sick when Ronnie isn't playing and they still talk more about what Ronnie was doing in his matches yesterday more then what is happening now. When Ronnie beat Ding in the Master's final one of the commentators-and memory doesn't serve me as to which one- sneered about Ding giving up somewhat. Saying people had paid good money to watch a match, and he should at least try. It'd be a decent point, if it hadn't have come a month after Ronnie walked out on a match against Hendry.... You can't sneer at one player for being a bit that way once, and then in the next breath talk about Ronnie like you're a teenage girl with a crush on the other. Ronnie doesn't try his best a lot himself.

And to the point about him not wanting to pot the black. It's also good to see some players register there disgust at the incident. Other players didn't. Hendry seemed to not mind and Robertson was a bit :excited: Ronnie.

On ranting about that, you do wonder if it's a player's place to criticise another player. It was a controversial issue, and one seemed to approve of. But is it really in the players best interest to badmouth other players. It's not really Murphy's place. And it certainly wasn't right for Murphy to brand Ronnie pathetic. Or unprofessional. If anything Murphy is the one acting unprofessionally here. As a fan I disagree with what Ronnie did on the black ball. And I feel it should have been made more of by the analysists. They are the ones there to analyse, not Murphy. And if Murphy does feel the need to speak up on an issue, he shouldn't make his point by calling Ronnie pathetic. It doesn't get his point across, he just looks bitchy. Which is Murphy's problem, I find. He thinks his opinion is worth more then it is.

Postby Eirebilly

I dont agree Mon, Higgins was also making noises. I dont think that this whole change was down to Ronnie. There is also an arguement to made about Ronnie initially refusing to take the black as a slap in the face of the sponsor. If i was a sponsor i would'nt have been to happy to see what Ronnie did, they are putting the money in and he is lauding it as not being enough. I would'nt be so keen to sponsor another event if i was going to be laughed at. I think Mr Hearn also spotted this and spoke to Ronnie as he was the model professional after that.

Postby Monique

Billy what sponsors want is publicity and this was it big time! I have not a hint of a doubt they were rubbing their hands in delight! Seriously.
I'm nonplussed at peoples reactions about Ronnie's antics harming the game and put off sponsors. It's just as daft as saying that Paris Hilton (for instance) next "scandal" will harm tabloids selling. What Higgins did, yes, that harms the game, big time, because it causes distrust to the core when the game relies heavily on the betting industry. The little scandals and petty sins if anything just add a bit of spice and excitement...

Postby Eirebilly

The only thing i do agree with Murphy on this, there is far too much "Its Ronnie being Ronnie" tolerance shown. I ask you, If Shaun Murphy had of done this, would people be so forgiving? I can assure you that he would have been treated alot worse than Ronnie.

Postby Eirebilly

The tabloid comparison is a bit silly Mon, as they make there money on scandles. They are not sponsoring any Paris Hilton events.... All i am saying is that, if you yourself invested money into an event (were proud of that fact) and the top draw card laughed at it, would you be happy? Snooker is struggeling to get sponsors, especially sponsors that want to invest alot of money, so i dont think that top draw cards should be doing such things.

Postby Monique

eirebilly wrote:The only thing i do agree with Murphy on this, there is far too much "Its Ronnie being Ronnie" tolerance shown. I ask you, If Shaun Murphy had of done this, would people be so forgiving? I can assure you that he would have been treated alot worse than Ronnie.

No he wouldn't. If anything Ronnie is treated a lot worse than most because he is in the spotlight all the time and when he acts daft it shows big time. I personally think he gets away with less than most.
Last week-end in EPTC2 a player I won't name walked out of his match, after pulling a frame back to make it 2-3 he walked away; there was no telly but there was a paying audience. It was not even mentioned anywhere and I'm not sure there will be any consequences.
Two top players conceded early (really early) and were warned and again there was a good crowd watching in both cases ... but it was not put into the highlight.

And to your previous question, the answer is yes I would be happy as I'm certain they are because it brought a lot of buzz, talking and publicity around the event and it's all they want.

Postby GJ

shaun is entitled to his opinions and for him to be given personal abuse on other forums for giving his opinion is sad and pathetic

Postby GJ

Monique wrote:
GJtheaussiestud wrote:shaun is entitled to his opinions and for him to be given personal abuse on other forums for giving his opinion is sad and pathetic

agreed. But then that should apply to all players. :)

<ok>

Postby Wildey

Ronnie outburst had sod all to do with why there are more tournaments now or John Higgins its a combination of players being fed up all players especially young players of choosing snooker as a profession and having sod all to do for 80% of the time.

it was common sense why the PTC Was created nothing else we needed someone with vision and Barry Hearn gave us that yes Ronnie was part of the players that called for change but he wanted simon cowell.

Ronnie O'Sullivan like Stephen Hendry and Every other person is a number when they retire give up whatever the Sport goes on and gets Bigger.

the PTC was not created for Ronnie or Higgins they have made their Living but for Young Players that could benefit from the PTC if they put in the hours and goes for it.

Regarding this thread yes Ronnie did come over as a pathetic idiot that day no getting away from that fact but i agree with monique it came over in a way ronnie didn't intend it to.. it was not throwing £4,000 back in the face of anyone it was just a joke thing that went wrong as if Ronnie wouldn't pot that Black jan or no jan.

Postby Roland

I don't see how Ronnie sitting back and having a go at snooker calling it boring and saying we need Simon Cowell can take any credit for the number of events this season. I think the snooker world owes far more to John Higgins and Pat Mooney on that score.

Postby Eirebilly

Of course Ronnie is under the spotlight Mon but that noway excuses him from these actions. He, as a top player, is well aware of the responsibilities he has to his sport. If he is not then he should be made aware of it. I agree that all the players should be treated the same.

I work for Scania and we as a company sponsor many events in Sweden, before we sponsor an event, a code of conduct is drawn up between us as the sponsors and the holders of the event. By laughing at the amount of money, Ronnie would have broken that code of conduct.

I suggest to you that Mr Hearn was well aware of the implications of Ronnies actions and adressed it immediately because for the rest of the tournement Ronnie was the model professional.

Postby Wildey

case_master wrote:Actually it was Pat Mooney who made the first approach to Hearn ;)

it was SPA which at that time was headed by Pat Mooney your right forgot about all that lol

Postby Monique

wildJONESEYE wrote:Ronnie outburst had sod all to do with why there are more tournaments now or John Higgins its a combination of players being fed up all players especially young players of choosing snooker as a profession and having sod all to do for 80% of the time.

it was common sense why the PTC Was created nothing else we needed someone with vision and Barry Hearn gave us that yes Ronnie was part of the players that called for change but he wanted simon cowell.

Ronnie O'Sullivan like Stephen Hendry and Every other person is a number when they retire give up whatever the Sport goes on and gets Bigger.

the PTC was not created for Ronnie or Higgins they have made their Living but for Young Players that could benefit from the PTC if they put in the hours and goes for it.

Regarding this thread yes Ronnie did come over as a pathetic idiot that day no getting away from that fact but i agree with monique it came over in a way ronnie didn't intend it to.. it was not throwing £4,000 back in the face of anyone it was just a joke thing that went wrong as if Ronnie wouldn't pot that Black jan or no jan.

I'm sorry Wild but if nobody had moved, nothing would have changed. As I said Ronnie did NOT have any plans to make things moving and he wasn't diplomatic about it but he got people talking and thinking and ultimately moving. So, yes, it has all to do with Ronnie's outburst. I very much doubt that if it hadn't be for that, and Steve Davis taking his side, Barry Hearn would have moved and come back to snooker.

Postby Wildey

eirebilly wrote:Of course Ronnie is under the spotlight Mon but that noway excuses him from these actions. He, as a top player, is well aware of the responsibilities he has to his sport. If he is not then he should be made aware of it. I agree that all the players should be treated the same.

I work for Scania and we as a company sponsor many events in Sweden, before we sponsor an event, a code of conduct is drawn up between us as the sponsors and the holders of the event. By laughing at the amount of money, Ronnie would have broken that code of conduct.

I suggest to you that Mr Hearn was well aware of the implications of Ronnies actions and adressed it immediately because for the rest of the tournement Ronnie was the model professional.

The Scania World Snooker Championship has a ring to it for future years (put in a close as long as format stays the same) :redneck:

Postby Roland

"So, yes, it has all to do with Ronnie's outburst. I very much doubt that if it hadn't be for that, and Steve Davis taking his side, Barry Hearn would have moved and come back to snooker."

And what about John Higgins and Pat Mooney who were actually pro-active instead of sniping from the sidelines?

Postby GJ

wildJONESEYE wrote:
case_master wrote:Actually it was Pat Mooney who made the first approach to Hearn ;)

it was SPA which at that time was headed by Pat Mooney your right forgot about all that lol

mooney is a spa <laugh> :)

Postby Wildey

monique

there's been talk to get things moving for years and years it took SPA to make things happen and not Ronnie .

Ronnie been sniping for years with respect nobody taking much notice of him these days even seifer says he talks rubbish and that says a lot.

Postby Monique

Sonny wrote:I don't see how Ronnie sitting back and having a go at snooker calling it boring and saying we need Simon Cowell can take any credit for the number of events this season. I think the snooker world owes far more to John Higgins and Pat Mooney on that score.

Snooker owes those two the biggest scandal it ever had to face and it could have been a killing one under the old board. Fred Done came forward right after the facts saying he trusted Hearn to put it right ... HEARN. I doubt he would have done the same for Sir Rodney.
Sonny I'm almost certain you read snooker scene and so you know that Ronnie was misquoted and didn't actually called snooker boring and he didn't say snooker needs Cowell, he said snooker needs someone of the type of Cowell with a mind for entrepreneurship and entertainment. That's not exactly the same thing innit?