Post a reply

Mark King asks for Compensation After 6 Reds Fiasco

Postby Roland

MARK King has urged WPBSA Chairman, Jason Ferguson to help him recoup his travel costs from the World Six-Reds Championship.

King lost over £1000 in travel costs after organisers informed the world No.15 that he had not been entered into the tournament by mistake.

It was later revealed that King’s exclusion was no accident and that Thai player James Wattana had threatened to withdraw from the event should King take part - after a sour ending to their match at the China Open earlier this year after which Wattana refused to shake his opponent's hand.

Now the event organisers say King is only entitled to compensation for his flight cancellation fee.

“I have contacted Jason Ferguson who is the Chairman of the WPBSA about helping me out and I look forward to hearing a response – it is completely unacceptable that a professional player should be treated in this way,” said King.

“In February the promoter got in touch and informed me of the arrangements for the tournament. Myself and Joe Perry were the first two players to book up and even though a few days later they contacted me as the dates had changed everyone was very good at helping organising some compensation towards paying for the changes the flights.

“It was only a month before the event that I received the call to say that there was a problem. They said that the organisers had made a mistake and as a result I wasn’t entered into the tournament.

“The next day Stephen Maguire pulled out to play in the BTV event but I still didn’t get a place. It was then that I was informed that James Wattana had told the governing body that he wouldn’t appear if I was playing.

“The reason he gave was that he didn’t like my conduct during our match at the China Open.

“I won that match 5-4 and he refused to shake my hand afterwards. During the match I missed a few balls and like any other player had a little word with myself but I certainly didn’t do anything out of the ordinary or attempt to put James off his game – he just threw the toys out of the pram,” added the 110sport player.

King admits experience has been made all the more frustrating after enjoying his first appearance in the six-reds two years ago.

“I went to Thailand to play in the Six-Reds a few years back and really enjoyed it. I got to the quarter-finals where I lost to Jimmy White. When I left I asked the organisers to make sure they let me know when the next event would be taking place - it’s a shame because I was really looking forward to the event and I just hope the current problems can be resolved.

http://www.110sport.tv/news/700

Be interesting to see how this one pans out. It seems James Wattana got the hump about something. Is the 6 reds under World Snooker's remit? If so King has a case.

Re: Mark King asks for Compensation After 6 Reds Fiasco

Postby Casey

King definitely has a case. In fact he would have a case to sue the organisers for excluding him in such a manner. Disgraceful from Wattana who knew with it being held in Thailand that the organisers would take his side.

Postby Smart

case_master wrote:King definitely has a case. In fact he would have a case to sue the organisers for excluding him in such a manner. Disgraceful from Wattana who knew with it being held in Thailand that the organisers would take his side.

Let me add the voice of reason from the Wattana angle.

MAK has a bit of a history it seems with making comments during a match.

Didn't Judd Trump have something to say on this matter re. MAK.

So perhaps MAK does say too much whilst playing and it may be off putting (even slightly intimidating) for some players to hear such things.

<ok>

Postby Casey

StalinESQ wrote:
case_master wrote:King definitely has a case. In fact he would have a case to sue the organisers for excluding him in such a manner. Disgraceful from Wattana who knew with it being held in Thailand that the organisers would take his side.

Let me add the voice of reason from the Wattana angle.

MAK has a bit of a history it seems with making comments during a match.

Didn't Judd Trump have something to say on this matter re. MAK.

So perhaps MAK does say too much whilst playing and it may be off putting (even slightly intimidating) for some players to hear such things.

<ok>

Possibly and it wouldn't surprise me if he did. However is it right for Wattana to deny him the right to earn money because he has the hump?

For me King seems like a hard working player who is in it to get enough for his family. I don't think he has a whole lot outside of snooker, so when he quits I expect his earning potential to be very limited and with a young family he needs all he can get now :huh2:

Postby Wildey

im with case personal issues should never be brought in to a professional environment in my opinion if this story is true and we have only one side of it James Wattana has acted in a poor way towards a fellow professional and the WPBSA is a players organisation that looks after the players and you could even argue James has brought the game in to disrepute with his Actions in this matter.

Postby SnookerFan

I don't like King, but I think he has every right to feel aggrieved. I'd be furious if this had happened to me. Not just that he was excluded, but how the hell can they remove him from the tournament without bothering to tell him? They expect him to travel across the world, get told he can't play, and they expect him to be alright with it?

It's beyond belief, to be honest. If I was Mark King, I'd make as much stink as possible.

Postby gallantrabbit

Can't believe Wattana still has that much power. The only chance of him playing King was if he drew in the first round...
If it's WSA sanctioned then 1. they should not be able to deny King the right to play and 2. should compensate King fully.
Hopefully this is nothing to do with King being anti-Hearn...

Postby Wildey

gallantrabbit wrote:Can't believe Wattana still has that much power. The only chance of him playing King was if he drew in the first round...
If it's WSA sanctioned then 1. they should not be able to deny King the right to play and 2. should compensate King fully.

point is no player

1 should have power
and
2 act on that power ......that comes under corruption.

Postby GJ

wildJONESEYE wrote:
gallantrabbit wrote:Can't believe Wattana still has that much power. The only chance of him playing King was if he drew in the first round...

point is no player

1 should have power
and
2 act on that power ......that comes under corruption.

JAMES <cool>

Postby SnookerFan

GJtheaussiestud wrote:king is a bully

wattana <cool>

You're still snake hissed because Mark King headbutted Quinten Hann, aren't you? Do Aussie Studs feel the need to stick together? rofl

Personally, I hope Mark King headbutts Wattana when he sees him.

Postby GJ

SnookerFan wrote:
GJtheaussiestud wrote:king is a bully

wattana <cool>

You're still snake hissed because Mark King headbutted Quinten Hann, aren't you? Do Aussie Studs feel the need to stick together? rofl

Personally, I hope Mark King headbutts Wattana when he sees him.

JAMES <cool>

king :bs: :fart:

Postby NedB-H

What an odd story... if it's a properly competitive event, what are the organisers doing deciding who plays on the whims of anyone they like? And if it's an invitational event, which they seem to have treated it as, why didn't they just tell King straight up he wasn't wanted, and save him the trip? Very strange, think the organisers have a case to answer.

Postby JohnFromLondonTown

NedB-H wrote:What an odd story... if it's a properly competitive event, what are the organisers doing deciding who plays on the whims of anyone they like? And if it's an invitational event, which they seem to have treated it as, why didn't they just tell King straight up he wasn't wanted, and save him the trip? Very strange, think the organisers have a case to answer.

Couldn't have put it better myself.

Postby Eirebilly

This is just silly. If Wattana has a personal grudge then so be it, it should not affect a match. King has every right to be claim the money if this is the case and if this was a santioned event, then the organisers seriously need to be looked at.