Post a reply

Who has the best/tightest cue control in recent times?

Postby shanew48

I would say it's between the following players (obviously judging them by when they were in their prime) in the time that Iv'e been watching, Iv'e listed my top 5 in order so number 1 being the best to number 5 being the least tightest cue ball control:

1.) Mark Selby
2.) Ding
3.) John Higgins
4.) Ronnie O Sullivan
5.) Steve Davis

So of course Selby isn't a better player than any of them on that list but I think his cue ball control is the tightest from what I've seen.

I know it seems weird Ronnie being at number 4 in any list but just for pure keeping the cue ball under the tightest control I feel that the 3 above him, in their prime had better cue ball control

Could mark Allen replace Steve Davis? even though Hendry was a century machine that shows that he had very good cue ball control but I don't think it was as good as the 5 in my list above, anyway any thoughts on the above, agree, disagree, any glaring omissions? Please let me know, would like to hear others views on this.

Re: Who has the best/tightest cue control in recent times?

Postby shanew48

Badsnookerplayer wrote:Good post and welcome.

I think Allen is a great shout for close control

Yes I agree, he is excellent around the pink and black spot, not as good as Ding though I don't think, I think sometimes people forget how good Ding's cue ball control is, I think this is mainly because when he has one of his funny turns (The WC match against Hawkins I think it was springs to mind as one of his worst ones, bearing in mind the round before he played so sublimely (against Mcgill?) well that he received a standing ovation at the end of one of the sessions, which I believe is not seen that often?) or when he dips in form so much alot is made of it because everyone knows how good he can be, which he showed in the UK championship recently.

Postby shanew48

Iranu wrote:Ronnie O’Sullivan is definitely number one. The only two current players who come genuinely close are Ding and Allen.

Selby’s probably not even in the top 5.

Interesting opinion Sir, maybe I'm way off then and Selby's cue ball control when at his peak isn't as tight as I thought, will be interesting to see what others views are on this.

Postby shanew48

Badsnookerplayer wrote:
Iranu wrote:Ronnie O’Sullivan is definitely number one. The only two current players who come genuinely close are Ding and Allen.

Ding is not even top 10- amongst current players.

Maybe 3-5 years ago.

His positional play recently has been poor

If you read the first line of my post it states ' judging them by when they were in their prime' so not how each players cue ball control is today but in their prime.

Postby Iranu

Badsnookerplayer wrote:

Ding is not even top 10- amongst current players.

Maybe 3-5 years ago.

His positional play recently has been poor

If Steve Davis is eligible then Ding certainly is.

Postby Iranu

shanew48 wrote:

Interesting opinion Sir, maybe I'm way off then and Selby's cue ball control when at his peak isn't as tight as I thought, will be interesting to see what others views are on this.

It’s good. But it’s not top 5.

Top 5 of recent years would be:

1) O’Sullivan
2) Ding
3) Allen
4) Higgins
5) Robertson

Postby shanew48

Iranu wrote:
shanew48 wrote:

It’s good. But it’s not top 5.

Top 5 of recent years would be:

1) O’Sullivan
2) Ding
3) Allen
4) Higgins
5) Robertson

If you think that Robertson's peak cue ball control is better than Davis's and Selby's then I'm watching a different game to you and maybe I need my eyes tested or something, are you sure you don't think Wilson should be above Selby and Davis also?

Postby Iranu

shanew48 wrote:If you think that Robertson's peak cue ball control is better than Davis's and Selby's then I'm watching a different game to you and maybe I need my eyes tested or something, are you sure you don't think Wilson should be above Selby and Davis also?

I wasn’t really including Davis as that would be stretching the concept of “recent times” to breaking point.

If we’re going back as far as Davis I don’t see how Hendry’s not in there.

Postby Iranu

The Ace wrote:Selby is definitely ahead of Robertson when it comes to cue ball control. He has to make far fewer recovery pots.

I feel like Robbo has the edge. I’d put Selby ahead of Judd but behind Robbo.

Postby shanew48

Juddernaut88 wrote:Where's Stephen Hendry?

If you read my original post you will see that I did mention Hendry, as I said 775 century's (which took 28 years?) obviously shows very good cue ball control but was it as good as peak Davis cue ball control? I would say no, the reason why Davis is included in recent times is his career was long enough that he competed against the modern day players, even more than competed in fact (97 Masters win against O'Sullivan shows my point) I think the reason why he could compete against they younger players for so long was in large part down to his excellent cue ball control. I heard that someone commented when watching Davis at his peak in regards to his cue ball control that he was "never more than a foot away"

Hendrys cue ball control wasn't as tight as Davis's in my opinion but Hendry was such a good potter that he could keep breaks going and then go on to make a century.

Postby shanew48

Iranu wrote:
The Ace wrote:Selby is definitely ahead of Robertson when it comes to cue ball control. He has to make far fewer recovery pots.

I feel like Robbo has the edge. I’d put Selby ahead of Judd but behind Robbo.

You would put Robertsons cue ball control ahead of Selby's? if that is the case then we really must be watching the same thing but viewing them completely differently!

Also, even though Trumps cue ball control has improved greatly over the last couple of years, and yes he will end up with the record for most centurys when he finishes playing but there is a vast difference in his peak cue ball control vs Selby's peak cue ball control in my opinion.

Postby Iranu

Holden Chinaski wrote:I just read the thread title again. This thread is not about cue ball control, it's about cue control. Not sure who's the best at that.

Alan McManus turns his cue 90 degrees in its case periodically to counteract any warping from gravity. That’s some stringent cue control.

Postby shanew48

Holden Chinaski wrote:I just read the thread title again. This thread is not about cue ball control, it's about cue control. Not sure who's the best at that.

Yes, I made a mistake with the title but if you delve deeper, as in just read the actual post then you will see that I meant cue ball control, anyway Iv'e learnt quite a bit from some of the responses so far, it never ceases to amaze me how some people can watch a particular sport for years and years but still never fully appreciate what they are watching!

Postby Holden Chinaski

Iranu wrote:

Alan McManus turns his cue 90 degrees in its case periodically to counteract any warping from gravity. That’s some stringent cue control.

Good call.

Postby TheRocket

Selby is a good breakbuilder and an even better tactical player (one of the two best alongside Higgins) but his cue ball control is definitely not better than prime Ronnies or Dings.

Top 5 cue ball control based on peak level. Not counting retired players like Hendry or Davis as its about "recent time".

1. Ronnie O'Sullivan
2. Ding Junhui
3. John Higgins
4. Mark Allen
5. Mark Selby