Post a reply

Re: The Draw

Postby Iranu

Sometimes players just match up badly with another player. Kyren for whatever reason is a difficulty for Judd. That doesn’t mean he’s better than Robbo, Murphy etc.

Postby McManusFan

Iranu wrote:Sometimes players just match up badly with another player. Kyren for whatever reason is a difficulty for Judd. That doesn’t mean he’s better than Robbo, Murphy etc.

Just look at Hendry and Mark Johnstone-Allen.

Postby Andre147

McManusFan wrote:
Iranu wrote:Sometimes players just match up badly with another player. Kyren for whatever reason is a difficulty for Judd. That doesn’t mean he’s better than Robbo, Murphy etc.

Just look at Hendry and Mark Johnstone-Allen.

Exactly. Acé just cant seem to understand how a player like Kyren Wilson have a good h2h v Trump, but fact is he has. He's not better than any of the players he mentioned in he bottom half, but neither was Mark Johnston Allen v Hendry and he won 3 out of 3.

Postby lhpirnie

SnookerFan wrote:No Ghou Yolonge. :sad:

He had a nightmare getting home. But he would later admit that he was one of the lucky ones...

Postby The_Abbott

I hope DIng does turn up now or the draw will be in chaos.

Postby lhpirnie

The_Abbott wrote:I hope DIng does turn up now or the draw will be in chaos.

Well, there's also the chance that any player could test positive. It could happen on the day of the final. We just have to live with all of that I am afraid.

Postby Iranu

Hope?

There is no hope.

There is only fact.

Postby Wildey

lhpirnie wrote:

Well, there's also the chance that any player could test positive. It could happen on the day of the final. We just have to live with all of that I am afraid.

Yea getting 144 players through a month of snooker without a positive test would be an amazing achievement and possibly doubtful.

Postby SteveJJ

Ng On Yee reported to have pulled out of the qualifiers

Postby lhpirnie

SteveJJ wrote:Ng On Yee reported to have pulled out of the qualifiers

The Hong Kong Sports Institute (Wayne Griffiths) have withdrawn their support (i.e. funding) from the HK players, citing safety. It affects Andy Lee and Ka Wai Cheung as well as Ng, who apparently won't be here for their events.

Postby HappyCamper

lhpirnie wrote:
SteveJJ wrote:Ng On Yee reported to have pulled out of the qualifiers

The Hong Kong Sports Institute (Wayne Griffiths) have withdrawn their support (i.e. funding) from the HK players, citing safety. It affects Andy Lee and Ka Wai Cheung as well as Ng, who apparently won't be here for their events.

cheung kawai was due to play in the challenge tour playoffs for a tour card. shame if he misses out.

Postby SteveJJ

Brian Ochoiski has a wildcard into the qualifiers apparently

Postby Alex0paul

I hope Fred Done gets his wildcard

Postby lhpirnie

At the moment Hossein Vafaei is a doubt, but the other qualifier seeds are confident in making it to EIS. The expected line-up for Judgement Day would be:

Perry-Williams
Carter-Tian
Wilson-McManus
Un Nooh-Lu
Dott-Wells
Donaldson-Wakelin
Robertson-Hamilton
Holt-Milkins
Ford-King
Selt-Carrington
Lyu-Maflin
Stevens-Saengkham
Davis-Walden
O'Donnell-McGill
Liang-Woollaston
Day-Brecel

Postby SnookerFan

lhpirnie wrote:At the moment Hossein Vafaei is a doubt, but the other qualifier seeds are confident in making it to EIS. The expected line-up for Judgement Day would be:

Perry-Williams
Carter-Tian
Wilson-McManus
Un Nooh-Lu
Dott-Wells
Donaldson-Wakelin
Robertson-Hamilton
Holt-Milkins
Ford-King
Selt-Carrington
Lyu-Maflin
Stevens-Saengkham
Davis-Walden
O'Donnell-McGill
Liang-Woollaston
Day-Brecel

Live on Eurosport. <ok>

Postby lhpirnie

SnookerFan wrote:
lhpirnie wrote:...

Live on Eurosport. <ok>

Yes, the Day-Brecel match looks like a killer.

If Hossein Vafaei is able to make it, then it would be:
Day-Vafaei
Liang-Brecel
which is also tough to pick.

Postby Wildey

Guys with best of 11 the Judgement day draw looks a lottery when players havent been playing much i expect a lot of surprises.

Postby SnookerFan

Wildey wrote:Guys with best of 11 the Judgement day draw looks a lottery when players havent been playing much i expect a lot of surprises.

It's not best of eleven all the way through, is it?

Postby lhpirnie

SnookerFan wrote:
Wildey wrote:Guys with best of 11 the Judgement day draw looks a lottery when players havent been playing much i expect a lot of surprises.

No, best-of-19 for the final round only.

But yes, there could easily be some upsets. However, looking down the list of players outside the top 58, there are only a handful who look like they are capable. The withdrawals have weakened the field enough to make it more likely than normal the favoured players will get through.

Postby Wildey

lhpirnie wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:

But yes, there could easily be some upsets. However, looking down the list of players outside the top 58, there are only a handful who look like they are capable. The withdrawals have weakened the field enough to make it more likely than normal the favoured players will get through.

It wouldn't surprise me if an amateur reaches judgement day and who knows what will happen then.

Postby SnookerFan

lhpirnie wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:

Really? I thought it was only best of 11 first round. Then best of 19 the rest.

It's a real shame, but needs must at the moment. Safety is paramount.

I'd have a problem with it if this was a long term change.

Postby Alex0paul

Wildey wrote:
lhpirnie wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:

It wouldn't surprise me if an amateur reaches judgement day and who knows what will happen then.

Two managed to reach Judgement Day last year with it being best of 19 so best 11 is hardly an excuse

Postby SnookerFan

Alex0paul wrote:Two managed to reach Judgement Day last year with it being best of 19 so best 11 is hardly an excuse

Out of interest, do we know how many people who are trying to qualify for The Crucible this year won't have played in months?

For everybody barring the eight people in the Tour Championship, the only opportunity to get actual match practice since March was the Championship League tournament. It's better than nothing for those that did enter it, but are there many that didn't.

Even removing the best of eleven opening rounds, there's going to be a lot of rusty players in the Qualifiers, if we're honest. Even some in the Tour Championship looked strongly out of form. Judd for example.

The world we're living in at the moment, there just isn't an ideal solution. I could understand the argument that maybe we shouldn't be holding snooker until next season and just start when it's completely safe. But who knows then that'll be? The coronavirus might still be with us in 2021. Do we lockdown literally everything until there haven't been any new cases in months, just to be sure? If we do that, a lot of players won't be working enough to earn a living. Do we come back when deaths are lowering and take precautions? If so, we're going to have to make some precautions so it's as safe as possible. Precautions such as shortening matches earlier in the qualifying tournaments, try to lessen the amount of time players have to stay in the arena. It's not ideal, but there isn't going to be ideal solutions at the moment.

We can pick apart, will this happen, will that happen, would it all have happened if the event was held in April and May as planned. That's just how life is at the moment.

I'd rather the best of 19s were still there too, and will be the first to complain if this format becomes a long-term plan. But if there's ever a time to make allowances, it's now.

Postby Dan-cat

HustleKing wrote:Trump vs Hawkins is my final prediction, with Barry getting less than Higgins 9 frame haul last year

Have you forgotten about the curse?!

Postby SnookerFan

Dan-cat wrote:
HustleKing wrote:Trump vs Hawkins is my final prediction, with Barry getting less than Higgins 9 frame haul last year

Have you forgotten about the curse?!

The curse isn't real.

Fact.

Postby SnookerEd25

Well, that’s true.

Clearly forgotten about the pre-ordained crowning of Ding though.

Oh, ye of little faith...

Postby SnookerFan

SnookerEd25 wrote:Well, that’s true.

Clearly forgotten about the pre-ordained crowning of Ding though.

Oh, ye of little faith...

I'm looking forward to it.