Post a reply

Kirk Stevens is the best player never to win a ranking event

Postby Pink Ball

Why is it that whenever people discuss the best players never to win a ranking event, Kirk Stevens' name is rarely one of the first mentioned? For me, he's quite clearly the best never to have won a ranking event. There's no way David Gilbert is better than he was. Before him, it was Anthony Hamilton and Ryan Day supposedly, but while better than Gilbert, they aren't better than Stevens was either.

Is it because his name being brought in immediatelly kills the discussion?

Re: Kirk Stevens is the best player never to win a ranking e

Postby mick745

No doubt he was a very fine player. Great to watch, had the style and good looks.

One of my early childhood memories was his 147 in the masters, very exciting at the time.

A good shout and a player who certainly never realised his full attention.

Postby SnookerFan

mick745 wrote:No doubt he was a very fine player. Great to watch, had the style and good looks.

One of my early childhood memories was his 147 in the masters, very exciting at the time.

Is it still the case that no British player has made a 147 at The Masters?

Postby HappyCamper

SnookerFan wrote:
mick745 wrote:No doubt he was a very fine player. Great to watch, had the style and good looks.

I believe so. Stevens, Marco Fu, and Ding Junhui so far.

Postby D4P

mick745 wrote:One of my early childhood memories was his 147 in the masters, very exciting at the time.

Interestingly enough, he played in 6 Masters, and the one where he made the 147 was the only one in which he didn't lose in the first round.

Another interesting tidbit: He played in only 1 ranking final in his career, and the guy he lost to also played in only 1 ranking final in his career.

Postby SnookerEd25

HappyCamper wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:

I believe so. Stevens, Marco Fu, and Ding Junhui so far.

But not Ken; Ken could’ve been in this list, but Ken isn’t.

Silly Ken.

Postby Prop

How few rankers were on the calendar back then? Nowhere near as many as now. You’d have to assume given comparable opportunity he would have had a few.

Proper showman he was. Miami white suit and Jimmy tagging along. I bet he had some stories.

Postby Pink Ball

Prop wrote:How few rankers were on the calendar back then? Nowhere near as many as now. You’d have to assume given comparable opportunity he would have had a few.

He was probably comparable to a Paul Hunter, Stephen Maguire, Stuart Bingham kind of level. Very, very good player.

Postby Prop

Pink Ball wrote:
Prop wrote:How few rankers were on the calendar back then? Nowhere near as many as now. You’d have to assume given comparable opportunity he would have had a few.

He was probably comparable to a Paul Hunter, Stephen Maguire, Stuart Bingham kind of level. Very, very good player.

Yeah I’d be inclined to agree with that.

Postby Andre147

Pink Ball wrote:

I wasn't born at the time, but from the matches I've seen from him on YT he was indeed great. I think he could have been a sucessful player if he dedicated himself more to the sport, but he liked the pleasures of life too much for a top sportsman, namely drugs and drinking.

Postby Iranu

Pink Ball wrote:

Then he must also be the biggest underachiever ever.

Postby Pink Ball

Iranu wrote:
Pink Ball wrote:

Then he must also be the biggest underachiever ever.

Yeah, top of the pile. Won buck all, even if his time at the top was brief due to being a nutter.

Twice a World semi-finalist, Masters semi-finalist, Classic semi-finalist, British Open finalist. Potential to be a top, top player.