Post a reply

Re: Yan Bingtao

Postby Ck147

Pink Ball wrote:Keep on eye on Yan Bingtao next season. Definitely one to watch.

World Champion 2021? Let me know, will bet my winnings from Ding winning WC2020 on that.

Postby lhpirnie

Pink Ball wrote:Keep on eye on Yan Bingtao next season. Definitely one to watch.

WST just published an interview:
https://wst.tv/yan-bingtao-qa/

But despite his efforts - only teenage tournament winner in the last decade, 6th on the 1-year ranking list - he hasn't been promoted in the way other sports would promote someone who's just turned 20.

Even worse, commentators and pundits have dismissed him as 'uninspiring', 'a plodder' and 'question marks about his pedigree'.

I feel that there are people are preparing to abandon snooker when Ronnie retires. By dishing Yan, they are effectively saying 'there are no young players', and the game is dead.

Postby Dan-cat

Bloidy hell LHP that's a bit doomsday. Sure some ronnietards will lose interest, but the sport is thriving.

He is a bit of an 80s style player though it muat be said.

Postby Holden Chinaski

Dan-cat wrote:
Holden Chinaski wrote:Come on Yan.

Which one?

Yan The Man.

Postby Prop

Maybe lately people are a little more reserved in proclaiming a player as the next big thing. The ‘future World Champion’ thing has become a bit of a meme.

And the game itself has changed. It’s not the same now as when the teenage Hendry and O’Sullivan came along and shook things up. Take Ding, for example. Came on the scene, raised eyebrows, and plenty of pundits and journalists were quick to make him that future WC. We’re still waiting for that*

Not taking anything away from Yan, he’s achieving lots at a young age. He’s developing a sound all-round game and priceless experience at the business end of tournaments, and he’s turning that into success. It’s sensible not to get carried away with it though. Let’s not burden him with unnecessary pressure.

*only 8 weeks or so to find out ;)

Postby Wildey

Main problem is about Chinese players you don't see that will to win in them its all very casual and going through the motions.

Yan has proven himself a winner and reached another final this season plus reach a further 2 ranking event semi-finals that put him firmly in the Tour Championship.

He is only 20 now he's well ahead of Mark Williams and Judd Trump when they were 20.

Postby lhpirnie

Wildey wrote:Main problem is about Chinese players you don't see that will to win in them its all very casual and going through the motions.

Yan has proven himself a winner and reached another final this season plus reach a further 2 ranking event semi-finals that put him firmly in the Tour Championship.

He is only 20 now he's well ahead of Mark Williams and Judd Trump when they were 20.

Yeah, they are very young when they come here. I know one Chinese player who said he was very scared to play against British players in the UK, that if he won he'd get lynched by the crowd.

Yan Bingtao hasn't shown us his full range yet. Believe me he is a heavy scorer when confident. To dismiss a player as 'boring' is pretty harsh on a 20-year old. Almost certainly Yan has lost fans and possibly sponsorship deals because of those comments.

Any other sport would be keen to promote a young player for the good of the game.

Postby Prop

lhpirnie wrote:
Wildey wrote:Main problem is about Chinese players you don't see that will to win in them its all very casual and going through the motions.

Yeah, they are very young when they come here. I know one Chinese player who said he was very scared to play against British players in the UK, that if he won he'd get lynched by the crowd.

Yan Bingtao hasn't shown us his full range yet. Believe me he is a heavy scorer when confident. To dismiss a player as 'boring' is pretty harsh on a 20-year old. Almost certainly Yan has lost fans and possibly sponsorship deals because of those comments.

Any other sport would be keen to promote a young player for the good of the game.

Who is that said all these things of him - uninspiring, a plodder, boring?

Postby lhpirnie

Prop wrote:Who is that said all these things of him - uninspiring, a plodder, boring?

Hendry, O'Sullivan and Foulds. More than once. I can imagine that the young man was very hurt.

Postby Prop

lhpirnie wrote:
Prop wrote:Who is that said all these things of him - uninspiring, a plodder, boring?

Hendry, O'Sullivan and Foulds. More than once. I can imagine that the young man was very hurt.

Well he knows what he’s got to do then - keep winning.

Players like ‘interesting’ Steve Davis and Mark ‘the siesta from Leicester’ Selby have been called all those things, and worse. Did they waste energy being hurt about it? Or did they focus their efforts on being granite and unbeatable on the table?

It’s sport. Criticism is part of it just as much as praise. The very best, in any sport, master their mindset just like they master their skillset. They take criticism - even hurtful criticism - and find a way of using it to empower themselves.

Postby Prop

Badsnookerplayer wrote:Mark Davis used to be called a journeyman but he came through it

Lolz :)

Postby Iranu

lhpirnie wrote:

He gets praised as much as he gets criticised though. If he struggles to perform on TV and that’s what the pundits are seeing then I’m not sure what you’d expect them to say, really.

They compliment his maturityand his ‘confidence’ and potting etc and his performance in ranking events while questioning his ability to score heavily for long periods. And I know Hendry says he doesn’t know what type of player he is because of his performances and decision making.

That seems pretty fair to me. Making him out to be better than he is based on what they know won’t do him any favours in the long run.

I know what you mean about promoting young players we’ve seen the other side of the coin with players like Brecel who were overestimated based on their natural ability and struggled to live up to it for a long time.

It’s a tough balance and if he’s good enough he’ll show the pundits what he’s really about - he’s already on his way there.

Postby Wildey

Iranu wrote:
lhpirnie wrote:

He gets praised as much as he gets criticised though. If he struggles to perform on TV and that’s what the pundits are seeing then I’m not sure what you’d expect them to say, really.

They compliment his maturityand his ‘confidence’ and potting etc and his performance in ranking events while questioning his ability to score heavily for long periods. And I know Hendry says he doesn’t know what type of player he is because of his performances and decision making.

That seems pretty fair to me. Making him out to be better than he is based on what they know won’t do him any favours in the long run.

I know what you mean about promoting young players we’ve seen the other side of the coin with players like Brecel who were overestimated based on their natural ability and struggled to live up to it for a long time.

It’s a tough balance and if he’s good enough he’ll show the pundits what he’s really about - he’s already on his way there.

Criticism is the most important thing a player gets.

For long period Judd Trump was praised, but he did not deliver on that until the pundits started to say he's getting older and Kyren Wilson is starting to overtake him and Judd hasn't looked back. Since then there's been 25 ranking titles and Judd has won 8 of them plus the Masters.

You have to take it on the chin and prove people wrong.

Postby Ck147

Wildey wrote:
Iranu wrote:
lhpirnie wrote:

For long period Judd Trump was praised, but he did not deliver on that until the pundits started to say he's getting older and Kyren Wilson is starting to overtake him and Judd hasn't looked back. Since then there's been 25 ranking titles and Judd has won 8 of them plus the Masters.

Total agree with that Wildey. (BTW, have you started using a spelling checker?)

Postby SnookerFan

I find Yan boring on occasion.

But that's not doubting his talent.

Postby SnookerEd25

Maybe there’s a Jack Bingtao to help him put it all together...

Postby lhpirnie

SnookerEd25 wrote:Maybe there’s a Jack Bingtao to help him put it all together...

Well the Chinese players don't have brothers of course, but he does have a girlfriend now.

Postby SnookerFan

lhpirnie wrote:
SnookerEd25 wrote:Maybe there’s a Jack Bingtao to help him put it all together...

Well the Chinese players don't have brothers of course, but he does have a girlfriend now.

With a bit of luck, his girlfriend is Reanne Evans.

Postby lhpirnie

SnookerFan wrote:
lhpirnie wrote:

With a bit of luck, his girlfriend is Reanne Evans.

She's a dancer, studying in Sheffield, which partly explains why Yan stayed here during the lockdown.

Postby Holden Chinaski

Wildey wrote:For long period Judd Trump was praised, but he did not deliver on that until the pundits started to say he's getting older and Kyren Wilson is starting to overtake him and Judd hasn't looked back. Since then there's been 25 ranking titles and Judd has won 8 of them plus the Masters..

Also Laser Eye Surgery.

Postby Prop

Wildey wrote:
Iranu wrote:
lhpirnie wrote:

100%

Postby lhpirnie

There are different types of criticism.

It's one thing to say a player's positional play isn't good enough and suggest he works on his cue-ball.

It's another thing to say a player dull and not worth watching.

Postby chengdufan

Wildey's spelling?

Postby SnookerEd25

chengdufan wrote:

Wildey's spelling?

Think that’s beyond hope.

(sorry, Wildey!)