Post a reply

Re: World Championship qualifiers

Postby PLtheRef

Wildey wrote:
Pink Ball wrote:I’d be inclined to give World Snooker the benefit of the doubt on this one. If this format were carried on for future editions, I would be very unhappy. But this isn’t a normal year.

I know some people have explained (and explained very well) why they can’t see why the qualifiers couldn’t all be best-of-19s this year as well. That’s fine, but we have to go with whatever WST is most comfortable with right now, what they feel will put the tournament proper in the least jeopardy.

At the end of the day, the most important thing of all is that there will be a World Championship, in-house spectators or not. Even if every session at the tournament filled out, the total attendance would still barely break 40,000. Not an insignificant number, but not a staggering one, which suggests to me — if the competition is as crucial to WST’s wellbeing as it seems — that television and other coverage is the main money-spinner. And all we need to do to secure that is make sure the tournament actually bloody takes place.

If that means the qualifiers have to be watered down this year, I’m fine with that. It’s crucial for the game’s future health that the tournament happens. What happens in the qualifiers and what we as anoraks think is not at all crucial.

i agree all 4 rounds as best of 19 would mean having 14 day qualifying and the expense that would mean. You can't play 3 sessions a day with the amount of players involved at the moment but i think 50/50 would have been much better so that players 17-48 would be coming in at the 3rd round with 2 best of 19 to qualify and all they needed to do was add 2 days and it would be safer as well.. With one session matches you will need 16 refs to ref them per day with best of 19 only 8. which will mean only 24 players and refs on site per day with best of 11s its 48.

Last season you needed 30 frames to qualify this year some will qualify with winning just 16

Which is more than its been for many years where players just needed the ten to reach the Crucible.

Been meaning to catch-up on this post and the question you asked on Tuesday about why the event had to remain at 8 days and whether or not it could have been increased to allow for a second round of Best of 19 matches with an 8 table format.

I take your point that if the venue was available that there wouldn't be any reason why the tournament couldn't have been extended (after all the Tour Championship has been though that was to remove a table) and that a 10 day event with more Best of 19 Frame matches would be preferable to many (me included despite the fact I agree with 11 frame matches for the first round the 17-48 players play) . The only point against it is circumstance given the reason why the matches in rounds 1 to 3 have gone to Best of 11 in the first place.

Postby Andre147

The_Abbott wrote:
Andre147 wrote:
D4P wrote:
lhpirnie wrote:Does it count as a 'proper' World Championship?

For at least some people, whether it "counts" or not will depend on who wins. If they like the winner, then it counts; if they don't like the winner, then it doesn't count.

It won't help matters if somebody wins it for the first time. There will always be people claiming he won it due to the special circumstances. If another player wins it who has done it before, then that silly excuse wont work because he won it under normal conditions.

But then again if Ronnie wins it - has he equalled Steve Davis or not? Some people will say he has others will say he still has 5 plus a mickey mouse WC

I personally have no problem if it means having some snooker back.

Can't see ROS winning it, he might not even play in it, but if he somehow won it I can also see people claiming he has 5 WCs plus a minor WC, thus not truly equalling Davis' record, which is quite unfair and a silly suggestion.

Postby SnookerEd25

Pink Ball wrote:In years to come, it will be a storyline and a half: the year Ding Junhui won a World Championship that many worried he’d not even get to attend.

Pinkie; I think we’ve all accepted (bar a couple of stragglers who will come around in a week or two) that Ding will lift the World Title in August. Can you look into your crystal ball and assess his chances of being the first to break the Crucible Curse (viruses notwithstanding)?

Postby Badsnookerplayer

Managed to get 20/1 on Ding at Betfair.

Lumped on £2000 - the last of my inheritance money from my dear mum.

Thanks Pinkball for the tip which has brought real hope to me and my family that we will now get through the summer until lockdown is over. Without these winnings I don't know what we would have done.

Postby SnookerEd25

Ah, BSP, you should have gone to BetFred; they have long accepted the inevitable and have set up an automatic payout for anybody placing a bet on Ding.

Now you’ll have to wait 7 weeks for your money, silly boy.

Postby SnookerEd25

(Warning : the above is a parody post; BetFred are NOT paying out ona Ding win (yet)

Postby lhpirnie

The_Abbott wrote:
Andre147 wrote:
D4P wrote:
lhpirnie wrote:Does it count as a 'proper' World Championship?

For at least some people, whether it "counts" or not will depend on who wins. If they like the winner, then it counts; if they don't like the winner, then it doesn't count.

It won't help matters if somebody wins it for the first time. There will always be people claiming he won it due to the special circumstances. If another player wins it who has done it before, then that silly excuse wont work because he won it under normal conditions.

But then again if Ronnie wins it - has he equalled Steve Davis or not? Some people will say he has others will say he still has 5 plus a mickey mouse WC

I personally have no problem if it means having some snooker back.

It's very unlikely to be seen as a 'Mickey Mouse' World Championship. Only if there is some major incident, such as a player testing positive in the later stages and having to forfeit.

But if it goes roughly according to plan, it will be recognised by 99% of people watching on TV.

Postby lhpirnie

SnookerFan wrote:I'm half tempted to book Judgement Day off work.

Might see what my leave situation is.

Possibly there will be two 'Judgement Days' if they play each match within 1 day.

Postby Deewee

lhpirnie wrote:

Possibly there will be two 'Judgement Days' if they play each match within 1 day.

Neal Foulds thinks that will be the case. Would make sense

Postby SnookerFan

lhpirnie wrote:

That's what I meant. Judgement Two Days.

Postby Wildey

Deewee wrote:
lhpirnie wrote:

Neal Foulds thinks that will be the case. Would make sense

I Know that's the case.

Postby Wildey

SteveJJ wrote:Although with it being on eurosport, thats Rob Walker out of a job.

My guess is Eurosport will be commentating and presenting from a studio in London like they normally do but you will need someone at the venue doing interviews who better than Rob he's doing that roll this week in milton keynes for ITV.

Postby Iranu

Wildey wrote:
SteveJJ wrote:Although with it being on eurosport, thats Rob Walker out of a job.

My guess is Eurosport will be commentating and presenting from a studio in London like they normally do but you will need someone at the venue doing interviews who better than Rob he's doing that roll this week in milton keynes for ITV.

https://mobile.twitter.com/robwalkertv/ ... 7565116418

Looks like he’s doing something for the Coral Tour Championships (possibly interviewing?) so no reason he couldn’t do commentary for Eurosport.

Postby SnookerFan

Iranu wrote:
Wildey wrote:

https://mobile.twitter.com/robwalkertv/ ... 7565116418

Looks like he’s doing something for the Coral Tour Championships (possibly interviewing?) so no reason he couldn’t do commentary for Eurosport.

I agree that Eurosport will probably be in a studio elsewhere.

Whether they'll use Rob, or just their usual Hendon and Joe Johnson etc we'll have to see.