Post a reply

Willie Thorne 1954-2020

Postby Pink Ball

I know we've been discussing Willie Thorne's death on another thread, but it followed on from initially discussing that he was in extremely poor health and isn't an official thread.

I noticed Alex Higgins had one, and while Thorne was nowhere near as good as Higgins, he was an iconic snooker figure and had tremendous love for the game, which he shared with all of us for many years after his playing days were over.

He was obviously flawed, and also put on a confident, almost cocky persona. But that never felt like the real him because I don't believe it was.

Yes, he tried his hardest to make us not like him, but he never achieved it because he was, when all is weighed up, a quite loveable person.

Rest in Peace, Mr Willie Thorne.

Re: Willie Thorne 1954-2020

Postby Dan-cat

ole Willie Thorne, his air's all gorn, and his mates all take the rise,
His opponent said "Cover up his head, 'cos it's shining in my eyes,"
When the light shines down on his bare crown, it's a cert he's gonna walk it,
But it's just not fair giving off that glare - (Willie Thorne): "Perhaps I ought to chalk it."

Postby SnookerFan

Dan-cat wrote:ole Willie Thorne, his air's all gorn, and his mates all take the rise,
His opponent said "Cover up his head, 'cos it's shining in my eyes,"
When the light shines down on his bare crown, it's a cert he's gonna walk it,
But it's just not fair giving off that glare - (Willie Thorne): "Perhaps I ought to chalk it."

:dance:

Postby SnookerFan

Holden Chinaski wrote:Did you know Mark Selby used to play in Willie's club in Leicester back in the day?

Well, why didn't he ever mention?

(Just kidding Willie.)

Postby Holden Chinaski

SnookerFan wrote:
Holden Chinaski wrote:Did you know Mark Selby used to play in Willie's club in Leicester back in the day?

Well, why didn't he ever mention?

(Just kidding Willie.)

Just having a laugh. I actually really enjoyed Willie's commentary through the years. He was naturally funny and like Pink Ball said a very likeable character.

Postby mick745

There were those who were critical of his commentary over the years, i being one, but like others have said he was a character.

He also had addiction issues he found difficult to deal with, i remember his interview on morning telly when he broke down in tears about his gambling debts, i felt enormous sympathy for him.

Rest in peace WT.

Postby Wildey

@pinkball

nothing at all wrong starting this thread.

Postby acesinc

Rest in Peace, Mr. Maximum. I enjoyed your exploits on table and found your commentary interesting as well as instructional. You certainly brightened up the Snooker Loopy video! Snooker overall is better for having had you.

Postby Andre147

His commentary could sometimes be repetitive, but he always knew what shot the player was gonna play, I just hated when he said "that's careless" almost everytime a player played a bad shot lol.

Postby SnookerEd25

SnookerFan wrote:https://mobile.twitter.com/davehendon/status/1273622733511954437

Hendo :hatoff:

Postby SnookerEd25

SnookerFan wrote:
Scooper wrote:Beeb sacked him didn’t they?

He still did the Welsh Open for BBC Wales.

As recently as this past February, which I guess was his last commentating job; a week or two after it ended came his diagnosis.

Postby The_Abbott

Poor Willie Thorne has now all gawn :-(

I personally never had a problem with his commentary. Rather Willie then Dennis Golfer and JV.

Never had a great career but was a recognisable face in the game and an 80's icon. Always wanted him to win back in the 80's.

Postby SnookerEd25

The_Abbott wrote:I personally never had a problem with his commentary. Rather Willie then Dennis Golfer and JV.

Absolutely.

But it seems to be BBC policy to ditch anybody who actually seems to be doing a competent job (Everton, Griffiths, Foulds etc)

Postby Iranu

SnookerEd25 wrote:
The_Abbott wrote:I personally never had a problem with his commentary. Rather Willie then Dennis Golfer and JV.

Absolutely.

But it seems to be BBC policy to ditch anybody who actually seems to be doing a competent job (Everton, Griffiths, Foulds etc)

Everton and Foulds I just don’t think were well-known enough as personalities, they weren’t favourites of the old-biddies that the Beeb seem to cater to.

Did Griff ever commentate full-time? I know he used to do the early rounds of the Worlds, and the Welsh.

Postby Snooker Overdrive

I always enjoyed his commentary over the years. He had tremendous inside regarding the technical side of the game and he was never shying away from criticizing players when they played the "incorrect" shot.

Rest in piece. An icon of the game :hatoff: