Post a reply

Re: Matchroom.live Championship League

Postby SteveJJ

Would we like to see this format as a permanent feature on the tour? More popular than the normal format or just a necessary evil as a one off in current unique times?

Postby rekoons

Luca telling the belgian press he feels this win might really launch his career. Says he didn’t feel that like When he won his first tournament 3 years ago, but now he’s up for it.

https://sporza.be/nl/2020/06/12/luca-brecel-na-toernooiwinst-gevoel-dat-ik-nu-wel-echt-vertrokken-kan-zijn~1591981535802/?linkId=sporza%7Cvrtnws%7C%2Fnl%2Fnet-binnen%7Cteaser

Postby Holden Chinaski

rekoons wrote:Luca telling the belgian press he feels this win might really launch his career. Says he didn’t feel that like When he won his first tournament 3 years ago, but now he’s up for it.

https://sporza.be/nl/2020/06/12/luca-brecel-na-toernooiwinst-gevoel-dat-ik-nu-wel-echt-vertrokken-kan-zijn~1591981535802/?linkId=sporza%7Cvrtnws%7C%2Fnl%2Fnet-binnen%7Cteaser

<ok>

Postby lhpirnie

SteveJJ wrote:Would we like to see this format as a permanent feature on the tour? More popular than the normal format or just a necessary evil as a one off in current unique times?

It will be remembered as a one-off, borne out of necessity.

It wouldn't attract the top players in normal times, so it can't work.

Postby Ck147

Alex0paul wrote:Really missed just having it on today

Me too, watching Moonraker for the 45th time :(

Postby SnookerEd25

If we’re in lockdown one years time, riding out the fourth wave, i’d be up for it again

Postby KrazeeEyezKilla

SteveJJ wrote:Would we like to see this format as a permanent feature on the tour? More popular than the normal format or just a necessary evil as a one off in current unique times?

I thought it was a good tournament, much better than the Championshit League monstrosity that the normal format is. The problem is that it's 11 days long and don't see a tournament that long being covered during the season.

Postby Ck147

My TV is still on ITV4, those American wrestlers are quite good, but think Big Daddy and Giant Haystacks would have screwed them up.

Postby csprince

KrazeeEyezKilla wrote:

I thought it was a good tournament, much better than the Championshit League monstrosity that the normal format is. The problem is that it's 11 days long and don't see a tournament that long being covered during the season.

you could do again when things go back to normal you would have more tables so it wouldn't take so long possibly include all 128 and make it a ranking event.if the shoot out is a ranker than anything else is fair game.

Postby chengdufan

A one-off I think.
There is about a 15-20% chance of this format working and being a success. Luckily for us, it did hit the spot this time, with a great final day.
Very unlikely to be as good again the next time, or the time after that.

Postby HappyCamper

The traditional CL was awful. Tedious and with perverse incentives where players could make more money by losing.

I think with the groups spread out over the season and the finals as a denouement towards the end of the season the Covid way would work.

It's good that it gave an opportunity for less established players to play on the TV table, and in more winnable circumstances. Normal events they can tend to be lambs to the slaughter for the top seeds a bit. Even better if would be in front of an audience.

Postby lhpirnie

chengdufan wrote:A one-off I think.
There is about a 15-20% chance of this format working and being a success. Luckily for us, it did hit the spot this time, with a great final day.
Very unlikely to be as good again the next time, or the time after that.

Yes I agree it was a bit lucky to have such a great finish, and few anti-climaxes.

I suppose it could happen again, but only if there are more pandemics...

Postby McManusFan

Just got round to watching the final group. Definitely much more enjoyable than the normal championship league, the best of four frames thing worked surprisingly well. Maybe playing the final group as a tournament might be better though.