Post a reply

Re: Craigie Hits Out

Postby lhpirnie

Yes he is right about the commentators going on about 'lifestyle' things, although there was an incident in Gibraltar involving several players which wasn't mentioned.

But commentators can more reliably talk about technique, eye issues, pressure staying on tour, possibly young family. They must be aware that anything negative will be taken to extremes on social media, which is hurtful to a young player.

Having said that, talking about him as top-16 potential is surely way too premature.

I first saw him live in the 2017 World Championship qualifier playing brilliantly with: a 140 break, 8-4 lead. But then he ended up losing 10-8 to the 17-year old Yan Bingtao, en route to his Crucible debut. I'm sorry but I just cannot see how pundits can give lavish praise to the likes of Sam Craigie (by watching 3 frames) and yet continually trash Yan Bingtao.

Sometimes I think commentators just say things for the sake of a headline.

Sometimes I think they are preparing to abandon snooker when Ronnie retires. They don't seem to promote the young players at all...

Postby SnookerEd25

Hmmm. I can see why he is annoyed; best thing for him though is to channel this aggression into his snooker and really try and become a force in the game.

There is a lot of potential there from what we saw; if he takes to heart everything that is said / written about him it could be detrimental to his long-term career.

Just get yer head down, and keep potting balls, son.

Postby lhpirnie

Dan-cat wrote:He really doesnt come accross well in this at all.

Yes, nobody comes out of this very well. That's why the commentators could have been more discreet about it.

Postby lhpirnie

SteveJJ wrote:I did notice Ronnie's sniffing too. Was very loud.

I had thought that the sniffing from Ronnie might be a result of irritation from taking all these swab tests.

I'm actually very surprised that all the tests came out negative. I didn't think they were deemed to be so reliable. Surely the odd false positive, at least?

Postby Iranu

lhpirnie wrote:

I had thought that the sniffing from Ronnie might be a result of irritation from taking all these swab tests.

I'm actually very surprised that all the tests came out negative. I didn't think they were deemed to be so reliable. Surely the odd false positive, at least?

I read somewhere that there’s like up to a 20% false negative rate or something.

Postby lhpirnie

Iranu wrote:
lhpirnie wrote:

I read somewhere that there’s like up to a 20% false negative rate or something.

Well that's just the chance we all have to take. That's why they did all that 'social distancing' stuff even inside the isolation zone.

Postby Alex0paul

No smoke without fire

Postby Wildey

By getting so defensive and getting upset about it shows theres some truth in it.

As a Sportsman the criticism he has had was tame compared to some he has to gain thicker skin otherwise his career will go nowhere.

Postby Alex0paul

Wildey wrote:By getting so defensive and getting upset about it shows theres some truth in it.

As a Sportsman the criticism he has had was tame compared to some he has to gain thicker skin otherwise his career will go nowhere.

Don’t you mean continue to go nowhere