Topic locked

Power Snooker line-up revealed

Postby Bourne

Organisers of the groundbreaking new format Power Snooker have confirmed the eight players who will contest its first event on 30 October in London.

Ronnie O'Sullivan, who describes the event as the "future of snooker", will feature, along with Jimmy White, Neil Robertson and Ding Junhui.

Ali Carter, Mark Selby, Shaun Murphy and Luca Brecel complete the line-up.

Players will compete for points, not frames, in 30-minute games refereed by women with music in the background.

Organisers have revealed that the players will be hooked up to microphones throughout the matches, and that audience interaction during the glamour event - which they claim is "completely different to traditional snooker" - will be positively encouraged.

The inaugural event, which will take place at the Indigo O2 in London, is being seen as the first step on the road to a genuine alternative to a game which is currently struggling for the widespread popularity it enjoyed in the 1980s and has been fighting to retain sponsors.

Australia's Robertson is the reigning world champion, Murphy a former world champion, while Junhui is China's number one and Selby the current Masters champion.

Highly-rated Brecel, from Belgium, is just 16.

After describing the World Championship as "boring" in July, three-time world champion O'Sullivan - who had already signed up for the event before Friday's confirmation of the seven players who will join him - stressed he was excited about a new challenge for the game.

"This is the future and a few people have got to get their heads around it," O'Sullivan said. "It is going to change snooker. The crowd will love it and the public will enjoy it. I cannot find a flaw in it.

"Snooker needs a new audience. A game ending in 30 minutes is exciting."

The tournament will take place over the course of two sessions in one day.

The afternoon session is between 1300-1700 GMT and will include all eight players in the first round knock out; the evening session is between 1800-2200 GMT and will feature two semi-finals, a third and fourth place play-offs, before concluding with the final.

The eight-hour event will be broadcast in its entirety on ITV4.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/other_s ... 031555.stm

MAIN RULES OF POWER SNOOKER
- Nine reds, instead of 15, in a diamond formation next to pink
- Potting middle red triggers two-minute PowerPlay where pots count double
- 20-second limit for shots with 20-point penalty for exceeding time
- A break-off must see at least two reds hit a cushion
- Century breaks are worth 50 bonus points

Re: Power Snooker line-up revealed

Postby GJ

i hope im working that day

future of snooker

:bs: <laugh>

Postby Bourne

GJtheaussiestud wrote:i hope im working that day

future of snooker

:bs: <laugh>

Robbo's in it which automatically means you'll be interested :ahh:

Postby randam05

still going to watch it? surely..

Im looking forward to seeing what a load of bull it is or a success(which i doubt)

Postby Roland

I'm definitely going to watch it. You'd be a fool not to with that line up and I'll reserve judgement until I've seen it for real. First impressions - ok concept but the baulk line rule is silly and the power red rule is silly because it's based on time and not number of shots. But let's wait and see. Apparently the company who are promoting it are going to pump loads of wedge into it and that can't be a bad thing.

Postby Roland

almost - the Dome in London. They'll need a fair few turn up to that to make it worth while that's for sure. For their sake I hope it doesn't backfire because that is very wishful thinking if you ask me.

Postby gallantrabbit

Some people don`t realise that it`s just a promotion of the main event.
Interesting line up, JImmy doesn`t get many days of these days does he?
Probably the rules are a bit too complex but hope the venue fills..If I were were there I`d go. Have a couple of mates going.

Postby NedB-H

Worst bit of it all:

Bourne wrote:

Players will compete for points, not frames, in 30-minute games refereed by women with music in the background.

I know plenty of us enjoy Michaela's matches :shy: but having a selling point that all the matches have women refs?!? Christ, is this a sport or a bloody leering parade? Maybe they should have a load of male models in CK Y-fronts as the refs, and try and get female fans in. <doh>

Postby Rocket_ron

well there is alot of negative input from you lot, its only a show, the rules arnt gonna change to this....its an exhibition that is on itv. i think it will be interesting and a laugh

Postby randam05

rocket_ron wrote:well there is alot of negative input from you lot, its only a show, the rules arnt gonna change to this....its an exhibition that is on itv. i think it will be interesting and a laugh

well said <ok>

Postby NedB-H

I would rather they showed a normal exhibition, or even six reds... they go on about having to change snooker cos other sports are adapting to new tastes, twenty20 cricket, rugby sevens etc... but both those follow basically the same rules as the original formats, and have been played for years by people for fun before the pros started playing them seriously. So it's easy for fans to follow them and still understand the other formats... most of the different snooker formats that keep getting proposed are so complicated and different that I struggle to understand them, never mind a casual fan or a newbie to the game. This is no exception, even if it does attract people, they'll not have a clue what's happening when normal snooker starts up again cos it's so different, and they'll give up again. At least 6 reds is similar to normal snooker in that respect.

Postby SnookerFan

NedB-H wrote:Worst bit of it all:

Bourne wrote:

I know plenty of us enjoy Michaela's matches :shy: but having a selling point that all the matches have women refs?!? Christ, is this a sport or a bloody leering parade? Maybe they should have a load of male models in CK Y-fronts as the refs, and try and get female fans in. <doh>

Take your point. It's not a selling point. If all the referees were Patricia Murphy types who are women trying to get enough experience in the game to make it properly, then I think we'd have nothing to against it. It shouldn't be a novelty though. To put it as a tag line, or to use it as a selling point, they might as well right; "Oi lads. The referees are a bit tasty. Hey." <doh>

Postby Casey

Bourne wrote:She could clean my cueball anyday :ahh:

On this occasion you couldn't blame the players for dragging the frames out ;)

Postby Sickpotter

If all the refs look like that I give it one match before ROS asks one to blow him :john:

It should be amusing for some who want a night out drinking...like darts. Pure entertainment only so it has a place. I won't go out of my way to watch it but I like real tournaments, not exhibitions.

Postby SnookerFan

sickpotter wrote:If all the refs look like that I give it one match before ROS asks one to blow him :john:

It should be amusing for some who want a night out drinking...like darts. Pure entertainment only so it has a place. I won't go out of my way to watch it but I like real tournaments, not exhibitions.

Imagine Brecel though. How old is he now? 15? 16? With his hormones, he'll be potting balls with his sausage.

Postby Rocket_ron

SnookerFan wrote:
sickpotter wrote:If all the refs look like that I give it one match before ROS asks one to blow him :john:

Imagine Brecel though. How old is he now? 15? 16? With his hormones, he'll be potting balls with his willy.

<laugh>
SF <ok>

Postby Noel

Michaela in leather bustier and stilettos.
She wants a riding crop ... so does Shaun.

What channel?

=o)

Noel

Postby GJ

big reveal 5 sec mention and no draw live

IM IN SHOCK <laugh> rofl