Post a reply

Would you approve of a sets format for the UK?

Yes
43%
No
No votes
Needs change, not sure about sets
57%

Total votes : 7

Leave the Worlds alone, revamp the UK

Postby Tubberlad

The refreshing success of the World Open has come at a cost: some geniuses are now suggesting the World Championship needs shortening.

If it ain't broke, and so on...

So far Barry Hearn has done little wrong in my eyes, but tinkering at the Worlds would undo everything for me. I can genuinely say I prefer it to Christmas. Nothing would improve the World Championships for me, it's 17 days of the most intense snooker, brings the greatest drama, leaves the best memories.

There is however, another tournament that needs serious revamping.

The UK Championship suffers from dwindling crowds, no identity.

So here's my idea:

Move it to Preston

Play it up until the Sunday before Christmas

Bring in a brand new format, sets for instance.

1. Each set could be best-of-3 frames

2. First round and second round could be best of 5 sets, meaning a possible 15 frames. A reduction may be no harm for audiences, and is made up for in later rounds.

3. Quarter and semi-finals could be made best of 7 sets, meaning a possible 21 frames.

4. Final best of 9 sets, a possible 27 frames.

Leave the Worlds alone, revamp the UK.

Re: Leave the Worlds alone, revamp the UK

Postby Tubberlad

rocket_ron wrote:im not following this sets proposal tubbs its snooker not tennis.
But i agree with having a longer Final

It's something new, brings identity to a lifeless tournament

Postby Rocket_ron

thetubberlad wrote:
rocket_ron wrote:im not following this sets proposal tubbs its snooker not tennis.

i would test this sets on a smaller contest not the 2nd biggest IMO

Postby Tubberlad

rocket_ron wrote:
thetubberlad wrote:

That's where I disagree with you. The UK is an emergency case, and I think people would like this <ok>

Postby Rocket_ron

thetubberlad wrote:
rocket_ron wrote:
thetubberlad wrote:

That's where I disagree with you. The UK is an emergency case, and I think people would like this <ok>

lets see what the members say, but i say no.

But remember thats just my oppinion

Postby Wildey

Rocket

The UK is going nowhere at the moment

its not the tournament that got my blood racing as a kid where you had the Grand Prix followed with the UK it was different it had Prestige i honestly don't feel as strongly for it these days as i was.

it needs a face lift and i think something like this would do it.

i cant believe come to think of it how something like this not been mentioned by powers that be when they want a tournament to be different from each other.

i like the idea if not for the UK at some Ranking Tournament.

it will still be seeded but instead of playing Best of 17 you play best of 5 Sets

2-1 1-2 2-1 0-2 2-1 player A WINS despite winning 7 frames all

Postby Wildey

PLAYER A 2 0 2 0 2 = 6 frames

PLAYER B 1 2 1 2 1 = 7 frames

but player A wins because he won 3 sets to 2

that's different that's a first for snooker and its exciting

Postby jadechelsea

rocket_ron wrote:
jadechelsea wrote:
rocket_ron wrote:tennis <laugh>

dont you like tennis r-ron?

yes i do, do you?

i cant believe player A will win the match even tho he won less frames

no not really i like golf oh

Postby Rocket_ron

jadechelsea wrote:
rocket_ron wrote:
jadechelsea wrote:
rocket_ron wrote:tennis <laugh>

dont you like tennis r-ron?

yes i do, do you?

i cant believe player A will win the match even tho he won less frames

no not really i like golf oh

yes GOLF IS GOOD

Postby Roland

Not into the idea of making it finish the Sunday before Christmas, I'm easy with it at the start of December but set play sounds like a decent concept to me. Should be tried out.

Postby Bourne

I like the idea but would question it being used in the second biggest tournament in the calendar, i'd rather they just added some frames into the format and played a much longer final there.

Postby Wildey

Sonny wrote:Not into the idea of making it finish the Sunday before Christmas, I'm easy with it at the start of December but set play sounds like a decent concept to me. Should be tried out.

yes its far to near Christmas there needs to be a re think on that.

in the 80s they played the doubles just before Christmas and it was a nice novelty event at that time leading up for Christmas almost a carnival atmosphere to it but playing a serious ranking event at that time has to be a poor decision.

Postby Rocket_ron

Bourne wrote:I like the idea but would question it being used in the second biggest tournament in the calendar, i'd rather they just added some frames into the format and played a much longer final there.

bourne, i agree with you mate. the UK is the wrong tourney to try the sets out on

Postby Roland

Doubles a good pre-xmas event. Better than 6 reds (sorry John)

To be honest, I'm a fan of the UK. I think it works out really well. Two sessions matches the whole way. I don't think I've ever heard anyone call it stale. I would leave it as it is. The big 3, the majors, leave well alone. All the rest, tinker till your hearts content.

Postby randam05

Yup a longer final and move it to november and have a 'novelty' tournament in december along with seniors being shown on sky.

Postby Monique

Sonny wrote:Doubles a good pre-xmas event. Better than 6 reds (sorry John)

To be honest, I'm a fan of the UK. I think it works out really well. Two sessions matches the whole way. I don't think I've ever heard anyone call it stale. I would leave it as it is. The big 3, the majors, leave well alone. All the rest, tinker till your hearts content.

I think the UK should be brought back to a better place than Telford. Deserves a bit more prestige.
I'm not asking for the WC to be shorten but if not touched it should be held over 3 weeks, the China Open should be moved earlier in the calendar and it should be one table setting from quarters on. If that's not possible, shortening the matches a bit would be welcome to me. And defo start the final earlier. Also it should end on Sunday, not Monday. Nobody but UK residents have anything like bank holidays.

Postby Wildey

Sonny wrote:Doubles a good pre-xmas event. Better than 6 reds (sorry John)

well you got to tinker somewhat

Telford ?

up to the Quarters 12 matches 50% played in qualifying cubicles in the second biggest event ?

Postby Tubberlad

Sonny, I think the UK IS stale. I like it personally, but I don't think it's doing it for a lot out there. The attendances are dire, I think it needs a new venue and a brand new format.

Postby Wildey

on the subject of Telford ive been there 4 times its not good at all its such a long way from the actual town centre and if you walking across the carpark in winter whitch december is you will get blown over and inside the foyer its soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo cold there waiting to get in the arena you need thermals the only reason ive been there that often over the last 5 years is its the nearest venue to me by about 2 hours in a car.

Postby Roland

Where I think they go wrong is in having one semi-final on one day, and one on another. Why not do it like this:

Friday 2pm: semi-final 1 session 1
Friday 7pm: semi-final 2 session 1
Saturday 10am: semi-final 2 session 2
Saturday 2pm: semi-final 1 session 2
Saturday 7pm: final session 1
Sunday 2pm: final session 2
Sunday 7pm: final session 3

semi-final best of 17
final best of 25

Postby Monique

Well we have to disagree again. Having a full match on one day is better for the viewers. Many can't afford to stay two days. Who will come to see 2 first sessions and no conclusion, on a friday to make it worse?

Postby Wildey

they used to play UK Semi finals on 2 tables why not play the semis on friday then play a best of 25 final 2 session Saturday and finish Sunday afternoon if best of 31 is 2 long for them.

Postby randam05

right like monique says it needs its location changing..im thinking south england..name me one tournament other than the masters in the actual south of england? its pathetic. I live in devon, the south west and the welsh open is nearest then the masters which are still hours away and why is all snooker up north for no apparent reason! it annoys me a lot cause its rare i can travel easily to a tournament

Postby Wildey

randam05 wrote:right like monique says it needs its location changing..im thinking south england..name me one tournament other than the masters in the actual south of england? its pathetic. I live in devon, the south west and the welsh open is nearest then the masters which are still hours away and why is all snooker up north for no apparent reason! it annoys me a lot cause its rare i can travel easily to a tournament

i take your point and it is a good point.

they used to have the Grand Prix at the hexagon reading but for me the UK's spiritual home is Preston