Post a reply

Re: 2020 World Champs to run from July 31 to August 16

Postby Wildey

Neal Foulds coment on his instagram chat with Hendry was a good one he wouldnt want a new name on the trophy

He would like a past champion to win it someone whos done it with a full audience and the pressure that entails.

Then Nobody can say Umm Joe Perry World Champion BUT hes done it with nobody there.

Postby HustleKing

Jester82 wrote:Snooker without audience is a massive piece of marmite.

IMO the audience can often be a pain in the behind, so it will be nice to get some respite from the more loud-mouthed easily amazed fans

Postby Jester82

HustleKing wrote:

IMO the audience can often be a pain in the behind, so it will be nice to get some respite from the more loud-mouthed easily amazed fans

Well phone ringing is bloody annoying but you take out the atmosphere by not allowing audience.

Postby lhpirnie

HustleKing wrote:

I have watched many snooker matches where there are hardly any spectators (I generally support young players rather than the superstars). The matches still mean a lot to the players, they are still tense, so have atmosphere. If the top players feel they need to be cheered all the time, perhaps there's an element of self-satisfaction there?

I think we'll get used to these matches behind closed doors, and most of the players will as well.

Postby SnookerEd25

I agree, thanks to the qualifiers for many tournaments being streamed on the Internet I have developed a fondness for no crowds, no commentary, just pure unadulterated snooker the way God intended.

Postby D4P

I think the most awkward part of having no spectators will occur when a player wins a match (especially, the final) and then has to choose between celebrating and looking excited with no one to celebrate with, or not showing any emotion at all after having won the biggest event in the sport. It would look silly for the player to dance around and wave his arms and such, but it would also look weird to just stand there and look completely disinterested...
Last edited by D4P on 27 May 2020, edited 1 time in total.

Postby SnookerEd25

The Ace wrote:The empty arena will give us a feeling of how the World Championship is going to be once it gets moved to China.

Oh yes. Forgot about the Chinese events, with al the plebs priced out.

Postby lhpirnie

D4P wrote:I think the most awkward part of having no spectators will occur when a player wins a match (especially, the final) and then has to choose between celebrating and looking exciting with no one to celebrate with, or not showing any emotion at all after having won the biggest event in the sport. It would look silly for the player to dance around and wave his arms and such, but it would also look weird to just stand there and look completely disinterested...

If we were visited my martians, they would probably find it a bit weird seeing a player throwing an imaginery punch and make a strange gargling noise after rolling a coloured ball into a hole on a green table!

As they say: "It's all relative".

Postby Iranu

Wallace12 wrote:
Iranu wrote:I think lack of comms is generally more detrimental to my enjoyment than lack of spectators. I’m not sure why that is, exactly.

Admit it. You love Dennis Taylor, John Virgo and co.

You shut your mouth :grrr:

Postby Pink Ball

Wildey wrote:Neal Foulds coment on his instagram chat with Hendry was a good one he wouldnt want a new name on the trophy

He would like a past champion to win it someone whos done it with a full audience and the pressure that entails.

Then Nobody can say Umm Joe Perry World Champion BUT hes done it with nobody there.

Ding won't give a buck, and I don't see why he should. The World Championship is the longest, most beastly format there is, and whoever wins it, regardless of who's watching, deserves it.

Postby Scooper

SteveJJ wrote:It'll deprive Taylor of some of his stock phrases, not having an audience.

No Patsy Fagan to spot.
Cliff won't be flying in on an aeroplane.
This crowds a knowledgeable audience.
The lovely Vicki.

He’ll be fine. He can still talk about how the lovely Vicki will be watching from home etc. And he’ll still use his acronyms before saying what they stand for, “ooh the DDK, the dreaded double kiss”

Postby Wildey

lhpirnie wrote:Snooker's popularity was established by Pot Black in the 1970's. No crowd there.

The players will get used to it after a match or two. People watching at home will hardly notice.

There was crowds at Pot Black tournaments

Postby Wildey

Pink Ball wrote:
Wildey wrote:Neal Foulds coment on his instagram chat with Hendry was a good one he wouldnt want a new name on the trophy

Ding won't give a buck, and I don't see why he should. The World Championship is the longest, most beastly format there is, and whoever wins it, regardless of who's watching, deserves it.

he will be when hes reminded of it in 20 years as his only win if thats the case.

and regarding Ding or any player if they test possitive for the virus they wont be in it.

Postby Wallace12

Wildey wrote:
Pink Ball wrote:

he will be when hes reminded of it in 20 years as his only win if thats the case.

and regarding Ding or any player if they test possitive for the virus they wont be in it.

There will be a massive asterisk next to the name of whoever wins it this year should it be played behind closed doors. And that includes Judd Trump and Ronnie O'Sullivan.

Postby Pink Ball

Wildey wrote:
Pink Ball wrote:

He really isn't going to care. For a long time it looked like he was going to be the best never to win it, but now that's off his back. Who the hell cares?

Postby Pink Ball

Wallace12 wrote:
Wildey wrote:
Pink Ball wrote:

There will be a massive asterisk next to the name of whoever wins it this year should it be played behind closed doors. And that includes Judd Trump and Ronnie O'Sullivan.

Yes. When we look up the records every year, we'll see next to 2020, "Ding Junhui won the world title but nobody was in the room".

Postby Wildey

Pink Ball wrote:
Wildey wrote:and regarding Ding or any player if they test possitive for the virus they wont be in it.

Superb analysis.

That could easily be the final a Walk over World Final is a real prospect

Postby Wallace12

Wildey wrote:
Pink Ball wrote:
Wildey wrote:and regarding Ding or any player if they test possitive for the virus they wont be in it.

Superb analysis.

No it isn't. Stop being a negative nelly.

Postby Wildey

Wallace12 wrote:
Wildey wrote:
Pink Ball wrote:

Superb analysis.

No it isn't. Stop being a negative nelly.

Of course its a possibility not even Snooker players are Imune to having it.