Post a reply

Re: Ones to watch

Postby rekoons

Thanks for sharing, I watched the clips at the end, looks like Florian and Sean Maddocks stand the best chance (solely based on these few minutes clips)

Postby Badsnookerplayer

rekoons wrote:Thanks for sharing, I watched the clips at the end, looks like Florian and Sean Maddocks stand the best chance (solely based on these few minutes clips)

Keep an eye out for little Ben Mertens

Postby rekoons

He ain’t little no more, check out the clip via your link, looks like he’s gonna be a tall dude :)

Postby rekoons

Great to see all these youngsters and their individual techniques.
That Bulcsu kid really impresses me

Postby mick745

There are a number of top sportspeople in Belgium with the surname Mertens. I wonder if Ben is related to any of them. Sporting excellence runs in families sometimes.

Elise Mertens is a top 20 ranked tennis player. There is also a male tennis player in the top 200, Yannick Mertens.

Dries Mertens is a professional footballer at Napoli and has won 90 caps for the belgian national team.

Postby SnookerEd25

Elise Mertens is Dutch. She is not related to Yannick or Dries (according to Wikipedia).

Postby rekoons

SnookerEd25 wrote:Elise Mertens is Dutch. (according to Wikipedia).

Last time I checked she was Belgian...

Postby SnookerEd25

You're right, my bad. Better get my eyes checked out.

Where did I park the car? :chin:

Postby SnookerFan

SnookerEd25 wrote:You're right, my bad. Better get my eyes checked out.

Dude. Where's My Car?

Postby SnookerEd25

SnookerFan wrote:

Dude. Where's My Car?

Your car, SnookerFan, has been towed. You parked in a disabled space again. I've told you before, a bad back DOES NOT COUNT.

Postby SnookerFan

SnookerEd25 wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:

Dude. Where's My Car?

Your car, SnookerFan, has been towed. You parked in a disabled space again. I've told you before, a bad back DOES NOT COUNT.

I'm blind. They let me drive like that now.

Postby SnookerEd25

SnookerFan wrote:

Surely your posts would be in braille then?

Something doesn't add up. Your story is full of holes :chin:

Postby SnookerFan

SnookerEd25 wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:

It was meant as cutting edge modern satire.

Postby SnookerEd25

In Croydon?!?

Still dubious...

Postby Iranu

SnookerEd25 wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:

Full of bumps, I’d have thought.

Postby SnookerFan

Iranu wrote:
SnookerEd25 wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:

Full of bumps, I’d have thought.

stfu Iranu.

Postby lhpirnie

It's very welcome that the WST has decided to do these articles on 'Ones to Watch'. They haven't been so supportive of young players until this, nor have other journalists. For example, in the end of year round-ups, nobody mentioned Yan Bingtao, the only teenager to win a tournament in the 2010's.

Generally, media acknowledge only the popular players: Ronnie O'Sullivan, Judd Trump, a few others just to suck up as many 'likes' as possible.

Postby lhpirnie

Finally some Chinese youngsters on the 'Ones to Watch' series, although only fairly sketchy information and no direct interview.

Gao Yang is an 'unnatural' left-hander with immense talent but erratic temperament - almost exactly like Zhao Xintong only 8 years younger... He would be the youngest professional since 2013, although his official debut is likely to be delayed.

Wu Yize is a tall, thin potter from Gansu. He also has incredible talent but has mixed results, perhaps because he grew in height incredibly quickly. During the lockdown (in China), he posted a video making a 147 in 4min 33sec. He's just the sort of upstart who could beat Ronnie's record.

Postby mick745

lhpirnie wrote:Finally some Chinese youngsters on the 'Ones to Watch' series, although only fairly sketchy information and no direct interview.

Gao Yang is an 'unnatural' left-hander with immense talent but erratic temperament - almost exactly like Zhao Xintong only 8 years younger... He would be the youngest professional since 2013, although his official debut is likely to be delayed.

Wu Yize is a tall, thin potter from Gansu. He also has incredible talent but has mixed results, perhaps because he grew in height incredibly quickly. During the lockdown (in China), he posted a video making a 147 in 4min 33sec. He's just the sort of upstart who could beat Ronnie's record.

According to Dennis Taylor the 5mins20sec record will never be beaten.

Personally i believe most sporting records will be surpassed at some point.