Post a reply

Re: The WC is the only major in snooker

Postby SnookerEd25

I tend to agree with this. Theres the WC, then all the rest. The TC tag is something pushed by the increasingly deranged BBC to market ‘their’ tournaments.

Postby The Ace

I’m inclined to agree with this. I’ve never bought into the whole Triple Crown thing that the BBC likes to push. That’s not to say that there aren’t other prestigious events on the calendar, but nothing comes close to the World Championship.

Postby donthittheblue

The whole triple crown thing only worked when the UK had a sensible format, now there's nothing to distinguish from any other ranking event.

Postby KrazeeEyezKilla

A lot of the time the Triple Crown is just used because they are the three BBC tournaments and the only remaining link to the 70's and 80's. The tour doesn't have much history given most of the events are fairly recent. I don't think you are meant to see them as equals.

Postby KrazeeEyezKilla

D4P wrote:The way that many fans idealize and prioritize the WC makes me wonder why World Snooker even bothers hosting any other tournaments.

Surprised to see Trump coming out with the "I'd give everything I've won this season to win that trophy," line given he is a clear example of someone who built up momentum over the season leading to his World Title.

Postby Dan-cat

KrazeeEyezKilla wrote:
D4P wrote:The way that many fans idealize and prioritize the WC makes me wonder why World Snooker even bothers hosting any other tournaments.

Surprised to see Trump coming out with the "I'd give everything I've won this season to win that trophy," line given he is a clear example of someone who built up momentum over the season leading to his World Title.

Context is everything. Trump wasnt talking about this year, he was talking about last season before he'd won a World Champs.

'I'd give everything I've won this season to win that trophy," said world champion Judd Trump prior to last year's final. "In the past I'd probably say differently, but now I'm of the age where to win that trophy for me and my family would mean everything."

Postby SnookerFan

I remember there being a debate back in the old Break Off days.

What was more prestigious, the Welsh Open Vs The China Open.

In those days the format was identical, and the prize money was either the same or close to.

Interestingly, everybody had an opinion. Bearing in mind this was more than ten years ago, the China Open was still fairly newish,so my opinion was that WO was more prestigious because it had the history. There'd only been about four five China Opens in those days.

Others cited that the Welsh was being held in a leisure centre in Newport and China was in a bigger city, more glamorous venue etc that was more prestigious.

Interesting what people considered prestigious when the format and prize money for the tournament were close to identical.

Postby Holden Chinaski

This seems to be the hip way of thinking now. It's really hipster to say the BBC invented it and no one cares. I still rate The Masters and the UK. It's not something new. Even Hendry back in the day said those 3 tournaments were top priority. And I think you can see a lot of players still really want to win those events more than others as well. People like Selby and Murphy have said this as well. I actually once had a short chat with Matthew Stevens about the tour and stuff and he said there is definitely an atmosphere similar to the World Championship at the Masters and the UK because players really want those titles on their record. That doesn't mean other tournaments don't matter, they do. And of course, the World Championship is the most important. I personally really love The Masters. It's a tournament I always look forward to. The Champion of Champions is great as well.

Postby The Ace

I think the UK would be vastly more prestigious if it returned to it's older format, but I can't see that happening. Since it's change it feels like just another generic tournament really.

Postby Dan-cat

Holden Chinaski wrote:This seems to be the hip way of thinking now. It's really hipster to say the BBC invented it and no one cares. I still rate The Masters and the UK. It's not something new. Even Hendry back in the day said those 3 tournaments were top priority. And I think you can see a lot of players still really want to win those events more than others as well. People like Selby and Murphy have said this as well. I actually once had a short chat with Matthew Stevens about the tour and stuff and he said there is definitely an atmosphere similar to the World Championship at the Masters and the UK because players really want those titles on their record. That doesn't mean other tournaments don't matter, they do. And of course, the World Championship is the most important. I personally really love The Masters. It's a tournament I always look forward to. The Champion of Champions is great as well.

This is how I feel too. The Masters has always felt important, and it was still a big deal that Ding won the UK last year, a bigger deal than if it had been one of the home nations or similar.

The tournament at The Crucible is snooker's only major.

Postby vodkadiet1

For a while The British Broadcasting Corporation have claiming that the sport of snooker have 3 major tournaments each season. You must have heard presenters, pundits, and commentators attached to tournaments screened on BBC referencing 'Triple Crown' events. I never bought in to any of it. They are just trying to push their own agenda.

The only major tournament in snooker is 'The World Professional Snooker Championship' held each year at The Crucible Theatre in Sheffield (pandemics permitting).

This is a factual piece and needs absolutely no embellishment.

Re: The tournament at The Crucible is snooker's only major.

Postby Ck147

vodkadiet1 wrote:For a while The British Broadcasting Corporation have claiming that the sport of snooker have 3 major tournaments each season. You must have heard presenters, pundits, and commentators attached to tournaments screened on BBC referencing 'Triple Crown' events. I never bought in to any of it. They are just trying to push their own agenda.

The only major tournament in snooker is 'The World Professional Snooker Championship' held each year at The Crucible Theatre in Sheffield (pandemics permitting).

Serious question: What vegan friendly alcohol do you drink?

Postby vodkadiet1

Ck147 wrote:
vodkadiet1 wrote:For a while The British Broadcasting Corporation have claiming that the sport of snooker have 3 major tournaments each season. You must have heard presenters, pundits, and commentators attached to tournaments screened on BBC referencing 'Triple Crown' events. I never bought in to any of it. They are just trying to push their own agenda.

There are a few. Several spirits, some cider, and all German beer is Vegan. Most alcohol is Vegan.

Postby Ck147

vodkadiet1 wrote:
Ck147 wrote:

There are a few. Several spirits, some cider, and all German beer is Vegan. Most alcohol is Vegan.

I thought all spirits were vegan, but wine and beer you had to be careful as a lot use animal products in some part of the production. What are you drinking tonight?

Postby vodkadiet1

Ck147 wrote:
vodkadiet1 wrote:
Ck147 wrote:

I thought all spirits were vegan, but wine and beer you had to be careful as a lot use animal products in some part of the production. What are you drinking tonight?

Water!

Most spirits are Vegan. I think a few brands of some spirits aren't. I don't drink wine. And I only drink a few beers.

There is a website called Barnivore which lists all alcohol and whether or not it is Vegan.

Postby Iranu

Dan-cat wrote:Well if we are picking holes in made up titles, what about 'major'?

Yeah this is a great point.

Snooker has a tiered system in terms of title prestige, beyond prize money. Prize money obviously plays a part (not least because it encourages stronger fields) but there's also format, venue, history, player interest etc.

The WC stands on its own but the second tier gets a little murky depending on who you speak to and how much they value each of the various factors.

Postby Badsnookerplayer

I agree about tiers.

Obviously the WC is the gold standard by which a player will be measured when their career is over.

Beyond that there are three tiers IMO -
Masters tier including TC
Home Nations Tier
Gib Open etc tier