Post a reply

Re: 2020Championship League (Covid Classic) June 1 - June 11

Postby Pink Ball

Are people being deliberately thick or what? The reason they've gone for such a relentless, fucked-up formula is because they want this to be a test run for what are likely to be relentless, fucked-up world qualifiers. This competition is about a lot more than our bucking enjoyment.

Postby D4P

Andre147 wrote:
D4P wrote:
Iranu wrote:
Andre147 wrote:Surprised ROS has entered this.

Will be interesting how the competition unfolds. Especially with the referees, how are they supposed to be 2 meters away from the players? It would mean more time to respot colours for instance, and Ronnie couldn't call them slow like he has in the past.

He still would, though.

Ronnie should just pot 14 single reds, then start potting the colors after the 15th red.

No chance of calling refs slow then. He still could though, the colours would have to be respotted twice, after the 14th and 15th reds. rofl

That's one way of thinking about it. I was thinking he could pot a red and then play safe, pot a red then play safe, etc., until he pots the 15th red, after which he can pot colors without them needing to be respotted...

Postby SnookerFan

Andre147 wrote:
D4P wrote:
Iranu wrote:
Andre147 wrote:Surprised ROS has entered this.

Will be interesting how the competition unfolds. Especially with the referees, how are they supposed to be 2 meters away from the players? It would mean more time to respot colours for instance, and Ronnie couldn't call them slow like he has in the past.

He still would, though.

Ronnie should just pot 14 single reds, then start potting the colors after the 15th red.

No chance of calling refs slow then. He still could though, the colours would have to be respotted twice, after the 14th and 15th reds. rofl

I wouldn't say there's no chance.

Ronnie doesn't have a great track record of thinking logically before speaking.

Postby PLtheRef

Looking forward to following this. Not sure on the format being Best of four frames though. I'm fairly sure the original season of Championship League was a four frame affair. What's wrong with best of five matches? Surely six five frame matches won't be much longer to complete than six four frame contests.

I'm assuming at as Best of four that the matches will finish if someone goes 3-0 in front.

Postby HustleKing

SnookerFan wrote:What happens if it goes 2-2? Do they get a point?

I hate draws in snooker.

Take back that disgraceful statement, draws are the perfect sporting result where no players end up losing.

Just kidding I hate sports draws (with the exception of competitions primarily full of league or group games like football leagues, including those with play off systems) with a passion as refs will frequently aim to end matches, particularly teams sports like football and rugby, in draws to either make up for a massive error on their part or to screw over the winning team/competitor for the sake of making the competition more exciting

Postby lhpirnie

PLtheRef wrote:Looking forward to following this. Not sure on the format being Best of four frames though. I'm fairly sure the original season of Championship League was a four frame affair. What's wrong with best of five matches? Surely six five frame matches won't be much longer to complete than six four frame contests.

I'm assuming at as Best of four that the matches will finish if someone goes 3-0 in front.

I think the plan is to play the 4 frames out, even if someone is 3-0 up - it can make a difference in the group results.

They want to keep the matches the same length because players have to swap tables between their three matches. The timings are dictated by TV schedule and the various administrative things, such as cleaning the venue between the two sessions. I think players might play quite quickly, like a practice session, but the referee might slow them down, and the standard will probably not be great (they are out of practice!) so the frames might not be so quick. A frame average of 15 mins might be hard to maintain.

Postby lhpirnie

vodkadiet1 wrote:Second spike coming around mid June so they might get through this before a full lockdown will have to be brought in.

The 'R' rate likely to increase violently around the Summer Solstice.

No, no. The 'R' rate will come down in early June, as people stay at home more and watch the snooker!

Postby The Ace

vodkadiet1 wrote:Second spike coming around mid June so they might get through this before a full lockdown will have to be brought in.

Are you part of the news media? You seem determined to post false information and try to scare people.

Postby SnookerFan

The Ace wrote:

Are you part of the news media? You seem determined to post false information and try to scare people.

Barry Hearn called a press conference about it.

Postby sigsky

lhpirnie wrote:I think the plan is to play the 4 frames out, even if someone is 3-0 up - it can make a difference in the group results.

Please explain. I think a final result of 4-0 or 3-1 or 3-0 results in one player getting 3 points, the loser getting 0, and the other two group members unaffected.

Postby PLtheRef

sigsky wrote:
lhpirnie wrote:I think the plan is to play the 4 frames out, even if someone is 3-0 up - it can make a difference in the group results.

Please explain. I think a final result of 4-0 or 3-1 or 3-0 results in one player getting 3 points, the loser getting 0, and the other two group members unaffected.

I think its 3 points for the win and 1 for the 2-2 draw. - They may play all four frames out to ensure that all of the players have 12 frames played at the end of the day. In the Premier League they did when matches were played over six frames.

Still don't get why they don't just play 'Best of 4' match. I think the Premier League would have worked much better had the matches been Best of 6 rather than six, there's nothing worse than a dead frame in snooker.

Postby Iranu

sigsky wrote:

I guess frame aggregate will be used if players are tied on points.

Postby PLtheRef

lhpirnie wrote:
PLtheRef wrote:Looking forward to following this. Not sure on the format being Best of four frames though. I'm fairly sure the original season of Championship League was a four frame affair. What's wrong with best of five matches? Surely six five frame matches won't be much longer to complete than six four frame contests.

I think the plan is to play the 4 frames out, even if someone is 3-0 up - it can make a difference in the group results.

They want to keep the matches the same length because players have to swap tables between their three matches. The timings are dictated by TV schedule and the various administrative things, such as cleaning the venue between the two sessions. I think players might play quite quickly, like a practice session, but the referee might slow them down, and the standard will probably not be great (they are out of practice!) so the frames might not be so quick. A frame average of 15 mins might be hard to maintain.

Aren't they playing one Group on one table and then the other Group on the second table? Makes more sense to have six matches played on one rather than two when each day there's going to be 12 matches played.

Postby lhpirnie

PLtheRef wrote:
sigsky wrote:

I think its 3 points for the win and 1 for the 2-2 draw. - They may play all four frames out to ensure that all of the players have 12 frames played at the end of the day. In the Premier League they did when matches were played over six frames.

Still don't get why they don't just play 'Best of 4' match. I think the Premier League would have worked much better had the matches been Best of 6 rather than six, there's nothing worse than a dead frame in snooker.

Yes you are right. It says '3 points for a win, 1 for a draw'. It really is a strange format. I'd have thought it made more sense just to play out all the frames and then whoever won the most frames goes through. Yes, there will be 'dead frames' in this format (and plenty of 'dead matches'), but I think most players are playing in this to get match practice in, so they will approach it positively.

But there will be situations where players end up tied on 7 points, or even three players on 6 points. They have to have a decent way to resolve that - even a blue-ball shootout.

Postby PLtheRef

lhpirnie wrote:
PLtheRef wrote:
sigsky wrote:

Yes you are right. It says '3 points for a win, 1 for a draw'. It really is a strange format. I'd have thought it made more sense just to play out all the frames and then whoever won the most frames goes through. Yes, there will be 'dead frames' in this format (and plenty of 'dead matches'), but I think most players are playing in this to get match practice in, so they will approach it positively.

But there will be situations where players end up tied on 7 points, or even three players on 6 points. They have to have a decent way to resolve that - even a blue-ball shootout.

It would be great to see a group where they all finish on four just for the extra logistical headache.

To be fair I'm not a fan of the 1 point per frame formats even if they are fairly commonplace in Snooker Leagues as dependent on the score you could end up with someone with fewer wins finishing higher. - At least with 3 for the win and 1 for the draw that shouldn't be the case.

The Womens World Championship used to have a Group stage format of 1 point per frame with a bonus point for the winner of the match, so winning 3-0 would get you 4 and 2-1 would get you 3 but losing 2-1 would get you 1 and 3-0 would leave you with nothing

Postby vodkadiet1

The Ace wrote:

Britain will continue to be affected more by Covid 19 because the precedent has now been set by the most lame PM Britain has ever had. The average intellect in Britain is very low and this will cause many more deaths than there should have been. And the theme will continue. A second wave will happen around December/January unless Dominuc Cummings waves his magic wand....

Postby Ck147

vodkadiet1 wrote:
The Ace wrote:

Britain will continue to be affected more by Covid 19 because the precedent has now been set by the most lame PM Britain has ever had. The average intellect in Britain is very low and this will cause many more deaths than there should have been. And the theme will continue. A second wave will happen around December/January unless Dominuc Cummings waves his magic wand....

What makes you think the average intellect in Britain is very low? Source please.

Postby KrazeeEyezKilla

vodkadiet1 wrote:Britain will continue to be affected more by Covid 19 because the precedent has now been set by the most lame PM Britain has ever had. The average intellect in Britain is very low and this will cause many more deaths than there should have been. And the theme will continue. A second wave will happen around December/January unless Dominuc Cummings waves his magic wand....

Cummings definitely has peoples best interests at heart.

Postby vodkadiet1

Ck147 wrote:
vodkadiet1 wrote:
The Ace wrote:

What makes you think the average intellect in Britain is very low? Source please.

Where shall I start? Voted for Brexit; Johnson voted to be PM.

Postby vodkadiet1

The Ace wrote:So people voting differently to you = lower intellect. Sounds a bit bigoted.

It is only because there are so many bigoted people in Britain that Brexit happened and Johnson became PM.