Post a reply

Re: 2020Championship League (Covid Classic) June 1 - June 11

Postby Wallace12

donthittheblue wrote:
Wallace12 wrote:
donthittheblue wrote:
lhpirnie wrote:Oh I don't know. In the future the Covid Classic might be remembered as an important step out of lockdown misery. Of course the objective is to get as many players playing again as possible, and test out procedures they will need for the World Championship qualifiers, the most important event of all.

I'll certainly watch it.

I'll watch it. I'm shielding, what the buck else am I going to do between know and the end of June.

However the fact that round robin tournaments are absolutely useless for snooker. My main concern is if match-fixing ends up going on at this, which it's more prone too, the sheer fact it's the only sport around will amplify the issue and ruin any good the tournament will have.

Watch it and enjoy it if you want, and worry about the negatives when and if they happen.

You seem to be whining a lot for what is essentially an experimental tournament.

It's the confines of risk that such an experiment opens up to the longevity of a sport that is already facing huge financial pressures and real world problems contributing to the death of snooker clubs up and down the country.

A match-fixing scandal at our flagship post-Corona tournament would cast a shadow over the rest of the season and the world championship.

You're worrying about a situation that is highly unlikely to arise.

Just chill out and enjoy it for what it is. It might work, it might not, but it will be awesome to finally have some snooker to watch.

Postby donthittheblue

Wallace12 wrote:
donthittheblue wrote:
Wallace12 wrote:
donthittheblue wrote:
lhpirnie wrote:Oh I don't know. In the future the Covid Classic might be remembered as an important step out of lockdown misery. Of course the objective is to get as many players playing again as possible, and test out procedures they will need for the World Championship qualifiers, the most important event of all.

I'll certainly watch it.

I'll watch it. I'm shielding, what the buck else am I going to do between know and the end of June.

However the fact that round robin tournaments are absolutely useless for snooker. My main concern is if match-fixing ends up going on at this, which it's more prone too, the sheer fact it's the only sport around will amplify the issue and ruin any good the tournament will have.

Watch it and enjoy it if you want, and worry about the negatives when and if they happen.

You seem to be whining a lot for what is essentially an experimental tournament.

It's the confines of risk that such an experiment opens up to the longevity of a sport that is already facing huge financial pressures and real world problems contributing to the death of snooker clubs up and down the country.

A match-fixing scandal at our flagship post-Corona tournament would cast a shadow over the rest of the season and the world championship.

You're worrying about a situation that is highly unlikely to arise.

Just chill out and enjoy it for what it is. It might work, it might not, but it will be awesome to finally have some snooker to watch.

Given we've had multiple match-fixing scandals in the sport, I don't think you can reclaim it's that unlikely to happen, especially with meagre prize money and cash strapped players around.

The benefit of exposure to snooker in the long run would be completely undermined if dead matches in this turned out to be fixed.

Postby Wildey

donthittheblue wrote:
Wildey wrote:Championship League with a far worst system than this been running sing 2008

Oh the championship league is certainly worse.

That doesn't make this a good format that should be at all encouraged.

nobody says it is but you got to start somewhere and this format gives every player 12 frames minimum to play.

63 matches
252 frames
11 days

Social Distencing experiance going forward

far better this than going straight in to the World Championship.

whatever your view point is could it be played too early or wait until july i have no doubt this is the best way to get the sport back up and earn a few quid.

Postby donthittheblue

Wallace12 wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:This new tournament is getting controversy already.

Not that much. We have a single negative nelly.

It's really not about being a negative nelly, it's about the integrity of the sport. Round robins leave it far open to falsehoods and fixing than straight knockouts.

Any snooker is good, but the issues also need to be recognised. It's not a ranking event thankfully that's the only silver lining.

Postby sigsky

OK, if a player wins first three frames, is there a point to playing the 4th?

Group ties based on points should be common. Would best seeded advance?

Didn't see this covered in format.

Postby D4P

lhpirnie wrote:The draw is now out, and indeed Ronnie O'Sullivan plays, which will mean the event is enormously popular now!

Surprising, but exciting for snooker fans around the world.

I would have to think he's playing primarily as a way to help prepare for the WC...

Postby HappyCamper

Group Draw

Monday June 1st
Group 2
Judd Trump
Daniel Wells
Elliot Slessor
David Grace

Group 13
David Gilbert
Stuart Carrington
Jak Jones
Jackson Page

Tuesday June 2nd
Group 9
Jack Lisowski
Luca Brecel
Robbie Williams
Oliver Lines

Group 3
Michael Holt
Mark Davis
Mark Joyce
Louis Heathcote

Wednesday June 3rd
Group 12
Kyren Wilson
Ryan Day
Alfie Burden
Chen Feilong

Group 4
Joe Perry
Mark King
Sam Baird
Harvey Chandler

Thursday June 4th
Group 5
Mark Selby
Liang Wenbo
Joe O’Connor
Lee Walker

Group 14
Gary Wilson
Matthew Stevens
John Astley
Mitchell Mann

Friday June 5th
Group 10
Ronnie O’Sullivan
Chris Wakelin
Michael Georgiou
Kishan Hirani

Group 15
Tom Ford
Robert Milkins
Mike Dunn
Ian Burns

Saturday June 6th
Group 1
Stuart Bingham
Ricky Walden
Jordan Brown
Jamie Clarke

Group 8
Jimmy Robertson
Ben Woollaston
Liam Highfield
Alex Ursenbacher

Sunday June 7th
Group 16
Neil Robertson
Kurt Maflin
Ken Doherty
Ashley Carty

Group 7
Barry Hawkins
Anthony McGill
Craig Steadman
Hammad Miah

Monday June 8th
Group 11
Mark Allen
Martin O’Donnell
Michael White
Nigel Bond

Group 6
Ali Carter
Matt Selt
Sam Craigie
Dominic Dale

Postby lhpirnie

Ck147 wrote:
D4P wrote:Should the Covid Classic be a ranking event...?

Absolutely it should

In general all snooker tournaments should be ranking tournaments. But this may be an exception, as it's really just a glorified practice session for many of the players.
Last edited by lhpirnie on 22 May 2020, edited 1 time in total.

Postby lhpirnie

Monday June 1st
Judd Trump, Daniel Wells, Elliot Slessor, David Grace
David Gilbert, Stuart Carrington, Jak Jones, Jackson Page

Tuesday June 2nd
Jack Lisowski, Luca Brecel, Robbie Williams, Oliver Lines
Michael Holt, Mark Davis, Mark Joyce, Louis Heathcote

Wednesday June 3rd
Kyren Wilson, Ryan Day, Alfie Burden, Chen Feilong
Joe Perry, Mark King, Sam Baird, Harvey Chandler

Thursday June 4th
Mark Selby, Liang Wenbo, Joe O’Connor, Lee Walker
Gary Wilson, Matthew Stevens, John Astley, Mitchell Mann

Friday June 5th
Ronnie O’Sullivan, Chris Wakelin, Michael Georgiou, Kishan Hirani
Tom Ford, Robert Milkins, Mike Dunn, Ian Burns

Saturday June 6th
Stuart Bingham, Ricky Walden, Jordan Brown, Jamie Clarke
Jimmy Robertson, Ben Woollaston, Liam Highfield, Alex Ursenbacher

Sunday June 7th
Neil Robertson, Kurt Maflin, Ken Doherty, Ashley Carty
Barry Hawkins, Anthony McGill, Craig Steadman, Hammad Miah

Monday June 8th
Mark Allen, Martin O’Donnell, Michael White, Nigel Bond
Ali Carter, Matt Selt, Sam Craigie, Dominic Dale

Postby HustleKing

Wallace12 wrote:
lhpirnie wrote:The draw is now out, and indeed Ronnie O'Sullivan plays, which will mean the event is enormously popular now!

It makes this event must-see now. Can't wait.

Plot twist: Ronnie is entering to intentionally catch Covid and have more ammo to fire at Hearn!

Postby Andre147

Surprised ROS has entered this.

Will be interesting how the competition unfolds. Especially with the referees, how are they supposed to be 2 meters away from the players? It would mean more time to respot colours for instance, and Ronnie couldn't call them slow like he has in the past.

Postby Iranu

Andre147 wrote:Surprised ROS has entered this.

Will be interesting how the competition unfolds. Especially with the referees, how are they supposed to be 2 meters away from the players? It would mean more time to respot colours for instance, and Ronnie couldn't call them slow like he has in the past.

He still would, though.

Postby D4P

Iranu wrote:

He still would, though.

Ronnie should just pot 14 single reds, then start potting the colors after the 15th red.

Postby Andre147

D4P wrote:
Iranu wrote:

He still would, though.

Ronnie should just pot 14 single reds, then start potting the colors after the 15th red.

No chance of calling refs slow then. He still could though, the colours would have to be respotted twice, after the 14th and 15th reds. rofl