Post a reply

2020Championship League (Covid Classic) June 1 - June 11

Postby donthittheblue

https://wst.tv/championship-league-to-start-june-1st/

Announced here. Will feature 64 players from the top 128 who feel like catching Covid.

Format is a bizarre round robin knockout round robin format.

16 groups of 4 with each winner progressing to

8 groups of 4 groups of 4.

The final 4 will then play in a 1 group round robin.

I'm not sure why we couldn't have a Last 16 straight knockout from the second round onwards, or just a L64 knockout.

Participating players will need to live on site for two weeks - so expect lower ranked players who need the money rather higher ranked players to enter.
Last edited by donthittheblue on 21 May 2020, edited 1 time in total.

Re: 2020Championship League (Covid Classic) June 1 - June 11

Postby lhpirnie

donthittheblue wrote:https://wst.tv/championship-league-to-start-june-1st/

Announced here. Will feature 64 players from the top 128 who feel like catching Covid.

I'm not sure why we couldn't have a Last 16 straight knockout from the second round onwards, or just a L64 knockout.

Participating players will need to live on site for two weeks - so expect lower ranked players who need the money rather higher ranked players to enter.

Not quite:

16 groups of 4 with each winner progressing to:

4 groups of 4.with each winner progressing to:

The final 4 will then play in a 1 group round robin

Postby donthittheblue

lhpirnie wrote:

Not quite:

Still a ridiculous format whatever.

Postby donthittheblue

TheRocket wrote:
Pink Ball wrote:Crying out for match fixing.

its a good opportunity to swallow 300000 pounds.

If it was actually a ranker it would also be a good shot to roll some centuries towards the season total....

Thought match-fixing and dead matches were why we screwed the whole round robin thing off ?

Postby SnookerEd25

lhpirnie wrote:This "Corona Classic" won't be a great tournament to watch compared to what we've been used to.

But we're all drowning men at the moment.....

At the risk of sounding like John Cleese in Life of Brian ...

Are there any women on this site?

Postby SnookerFan

SnookerEd25 wrote:
lhpirnie wrote:This "Corona Classic" won't be a great tournament to watch compared to what we've been used to.

Why are you always on about women, Stan?

Postby SnookerEd25

SnookerFan wrote:
SnookerEd25 wrote:

Why are you always on about women, Stan?

Loretta. Why are you always on about women LORETTA :grrr:

Postby lhpirnie

Oh I don't know. In the future the Covid Classic might be remembered as an important step out of lockdown misery. Of course the objective is to get as many players playing again as possible, and test out procedures they will need for the World Championship qualifiers, the most important event of all.

I'll certainly watch it.

Postby donthittheblue

lhpirnie wrote:Oh I don't know. In the future the Covid Classic might be remembered as an important step out of lockdown misery. Of course the objective is to get as many players playing again as possible, and test out procedures they will need for the World Championship qualifiers, the most important event of all.

I'll certainly watch it.

I'll watch it. I'm shielding, what the buck else am I going to do between know and the end of June.

However the fact that round robin tournaments are absolutely useless for snooker. My main concern is if match-fixing ends up going on at this, which it's more prone too, the sheer fact it's the only sport around will amplify the issue and ruin any good the tournament will have.

Postby Wallace12

donthittheblue wrote:
lhpirnie wrote:Oh I don't know. In the future the Covid Classic might be remembered as an important step out of lockdown misery. Of course the objective is to get as many players playing again as possible, and test out procedures they will need for the World Championship qualifiers, the most important event of all.

I'll certainly watch it.

I'll watch it. I'm shielding, what the buck else am I going to do between know and the end of June.

However the fact that round robin tournaments are absolutely useless for snooker. My main concern is if match-fixing ends up going on at this, which it's more prone too, the sheer fact it's the only sport around will amplify the issue and ruin any good the tournament will have.

Watch it and enjoy it if you want, and worry about the negatives when and if they happen.

You seem to be whining a lot for what is essentially an experimental tournament.

Postby lhpirnie

SteveJJ wrote:Why are people surprised about the round robin format when the championship league has always been round robin?

Well, this one isn't as bad as the regular Championship League. Yes, there could be some dead matches, but I don't think match-fixing is going to work in these days of monitoring.

In the regular CL, a player who wins their group final gets promoted to the 'magnificent 7' final group. The next 4 players get to play in the next CL group, which gives them the chance to earn more money. Therefore it is often in a player's interest to lose that final, particularly if they are booked in for a 4-day block. If you look at the prizemoney lists, you will see some group winners no doing so well.

Postby donthittheblue

Wallace12 wrote:
donthittheblue wrote:

I'll certainly watch it.

Watch it and enjoy it if you want, and worry about the negatives when and if they happen.

You seem to be whining a lot for what is essentially an experimental tournament.

It's the confines of risk that such an experiment opens up to the longevity of a sport that is already facing huge financial pressures and real world problems contributing to the death of snooker clubs up and down the country.

A match-fixing scandal at our flagship post-Corona tournament would cast a shadow over the rest of the season and the world championship.

Postby Wildey

donthittheblue wrote:
lhpirnie wrote:

Not quite:

Still a ridiculous format whatever.

Championsship league has always been a strange format but that not important its designed to get players playing and test social distencing criteria with the world championship in mind. i wouldnt be surprised if they try to re create the crucible dimentions to see what they can do with the venue in sheffield that what id do anyway.