Post a reply

Re: The Championship League to be on ITV

Postby donthittheblue

A bit like the recent football return in Germany, whilst I can't deny I'm glad to see some snooker back (as a shielder who has not much else to do than watch tv and sit at the pc), there has to be a certain amount of apprehension.

On a more snooker level, I thought round-robins were being done away with due to their unsuitability for individual sport and all the resultant dead matches. With the opportunity to showcase the support to millions who'd not normally watch; not using knockout seems bonkers.

Postby lhpirnie

I'm calling this tournament "The Coronavirus Classic" (the Championship League is a completely different tournament with a different structure).

It's a strange format. They 4 frames against each of their 3 opponents, so 12 frames in a session, then if they top their group they go back upstairs to their isolation chamber for a few more days.

Above all it's a pretty good effort by WST to get this far. It's clearly very safe, and will give a good indication of how on earth they might try to stage the World Championship qualifiers on 18th July.

There's obviously no time for players stranded overseas to make it, and no announcement on 'something for them'. But honsetly i wasn't expecting that to materialise - it will probably be quietly forgotten.

Postby donthittheblue

lhpirnie wrote:I'm calling this tournament "The Coronavirus Classic" (the Championship League is a completely different tournament with a different structure).

It's a strange format. They 4 frames against each of their 3 opponents, so 12 frames in a session, then if they top their group they go back upstairs to their isolation chamber for a few more days.

Above all it's a pretty good effort by WST to get this far. It's clearly very safe, and will give a good indication of how on earth they might try to stage the World Championship qualifiers on 18th July.

There's obviously no time for players stranded overseas to make it, and no announcement on 'something for them'. But honsetly i wasn't expecting that to materialise - it will probably be quietly forgotten.

It's a ridiculously weird format.

Postby lhpirnie

donthittheblue wrote:
lhpirnie wrote:I'm calling this tournament "The Coronavirus Classic" (the Championship League is a completely different tournament with a different structure).

It's probably the best format, although I would argue for best-of-5's because of various issues with tie-breaks in the groups. I hope they have a sensible way of resolving that.

The main thing is that you can't just ask players to turn up to their isolation unit just to play one match. This tournament isn't much about serious competitive snooker, but more to test out procedures and for the players to get some decent practice in. They get to play 12 frames in 3-4 hours, and then either go home, or hide in an upstairs room for a few days to do another round.

Postby donthittheblue

lhpirnie wrote:
donthittheblue wrote:

It's probably the best format, although I would argue for best-of-5's because of various issues with tie-breaks in the groups. I hope they have a sensible way of resolving that.

The main thing is that you can't just ask players to turn up to their isolation unit just to play one match. This tournament isn't much about serious competitive snooker, but more to test out procedures and for the players to get some decent practice in. They get to play 12 frames in 3-4 hours, and then either go home, or hide in an upstairs room for a few days to do another round.

You could and most players would prefer it giving they get to home if they lose... whereas this format you could lose and have to play another 2 matches.

Presumably it's a footy like 3 for a win 1 for a draw, 0 for a loss style system.