Post a reply

Re: Mark Williams: "will never retire"

Postby SnookerFan

Retirement isn't necessarily the same thing as the lock down. You don't have to sit round and do nothing just because you're retired. Like he says, he can enter the Seniors Tour if he wants. And maybe one of the channels will want him for punditry or something.

Obviously, it's his call. And as long as he can play well enough, I'd still like to see him on the tour. It's up to the young players coming through to knock the top players of their perch.

In terms of Hendry's comments, I agree that if Ronnie wants to win more World Titles he is perfectly capable. But saying that he can isn't the same thing as saying he will. Ronnie's never been a great fan of the longer Crucibile format, and it just depends how up for it he is. I don't know what McManus is on about there. Ronnie is clearly up for it sometimes more than others. And that is, in part, down to him not enjoying the length of the tournament. (Amongst other things, obviously.)

Postby TheRocket

surprised about Hendrys comments. I think a week or two weeks ago he said its unlikely Ronnie gets to 7.

Ronnie is too old now. Can't see him win 3 or 4 more. Its either none or 1 more imo.

Postby SnookerFan

Scooper wrote:He probably can’t get away with walking around naked so much when he’s at home.

Are you saying the whole of Sheffield has no issue with seeing him naked, but his wife objects? rofl

Postby SnookerEd25

Well, they’re probably used to it for a fortnight every year but, for his wife, it’s once in a blue moon

(pardon the pun)

Postby Jester82

TheRocket wrote:surprised about Hendrys comments. I think a week or two weeks ago he said its unlikely Ronnie gets to 7.

Ronnie is too old now. Can't see him win 3 or 4 more. Its either none or 1 more imo.

More likely atm

Postby donthittheblue

A lot of players used to play well into their 60s.

Fred Davis played at the age of 70 in a World Championship, as long as a player practices and maintains the desire there's no reason a modern player couldn't do that provide medical stays in order.

Postby HustleKing

donthittheblue wrote:A lot of players used to play well into their 60s.

Fred Davis played at the age of 70 in a World Championship, as long as a player practices and maintains the desire there's no reason a modern player couldn't do that provide medical stays in order.

I think people's main issue with players playing over the age of about 55 in the modern era, is that it would be highly unlikely they could compete with any top 32 player over anything greater than a best of 9.

Out of the current players under 55, Ronnie is probably the only player who could possibly even compete with those players in a best of 11 of higher, once he hits 55

Postby donthittheblue

HustleKing wrote:
donthittheblue wrote:A lot of players used to play well into their 60s.

I think people's main issue with players playing over the age of about 55 in the modern era, is that it would be highly unlikely they could compete with any top 32 player over anything greater than a best of 9.

Out of the current players under 55, Ronnie is probably the only player who could possibly even compete with those players in a best of 11 of higher, once he hits 55

That all assumes the next crop of players are as good as the class of 92, the evidence so far is overwhelmingly against that. Provided the player keeps their hand in and their motivation they could easily play into their later - the difference is most modern players get enough money and fame by their older years they don't need to keep playing whereas that wasn't the case for players of the past.

Hendry and Steve Davis would still be playing if that was the case.