Post a reply

The World Championships. Were they serious?

Postby SnookerFan

What do we make of this talk that they might shorten the worlds? When they mentioned it in the studio, most of us seemed against it.

But were they serious? Hearn promised not to mess with his 'crown jewel'. But was the talk of it a testing of the waters to see how people would react? Or was it just hyperbole to big up the World Open's format?

Personally I'd be mortified if they did it. I doubt they will though.

Re: The World Championships. Were they serious?

Postby Roland

If they were then Hearn and Davis are the biggest traitors in snooker history, let's be fair about this.

From a staunch Hearn supporter.

Postby Eirebilly

To be honest, i think that its just talk. I cant see any reason why they would change th setup. It would alienate many traditional fans. I am all for them trying out new things in other events but this one should and will not be touched.

Postby SnookerFan

eirebilly wrote:To be honest, i think that its just talk. I cant see any reason why they would change th setup. It would alienate many traditional fans. I am all for them trying out new things in other events but this one should and will not be touched.

I agree. Surely Hearn understands the backlash such actions would bring.

Postby GJ

i have a feeling the world champion has been misquoted as yesterday i saw an article headlined robertson wants worlds change and when i went through the article there was no mnetion of any of it and all robbo was talking about was the world open final format and how much he enjoyed it.

So as usual i feel the media have taken robbos comments out of context because obviously after winning a particulary format the player will obviously like that format.

Postby Thompson Lykes

you don't know what the options are.

BBC might be saying if you want four events a year, then cut the length of the world championship. Cutting the number of frames in the second round from first to 13 to first to ten doesn't save loads of days off the schedule. I can't see BBC wanting to start the world championship midweek? I think there is a bit of juggling going on because BBC will never pay what they have done in the past, all the Channel 4 mob don't really like snooker, and King Bazza knows Sky would take it in a minute, but then wouldn't want the masters or uk and neither would BBC. All the changes that have gone on with the grand prix, formats, venue changes, name changes have been to keep BBC sweet. It might have worked with what happened last week. But snooker can't afford not to have the BBC

Postby SnookerFan

Thompson Lykes wrote:you don't know what the options are.

BBC might be saying if you want four events a year, then cut the length of the world championship. Cutting the number of frames in the second round from first to 13 to first to ten doesn't save loads of days off the schedule. I can't see BBC wanting to start the world championship midweek? I think there is a bit of juggling going on because BBC will never pay what they have done in the past, all the Channel 4 mob don't really like snooker, and King Bazza knows Sky would take it in a minute, but then wouldn't want the masters or uk and neither would BBC. All the changes that have gone on with the grand prix, formats, venue changes, name changes have been to keep BBC sweet. It might have worked with what happened last week. But snooker can't afford not to have the BBC

Most of that is true. <ok>

Losing the BBC coverage at this stage would be detrimental to the sport, no doubt about it. I can't see anybody covering it as much as the BBC have with the red button coverage et al.

And don't think it's not a possibility with the falling viewing figures we've had in the past. Hopefully that won't happen. Even if they keept it on BBC 2 as daytime television viewing, and then just remove the prime time evening TV to the red button. <ok>

Postby Thompson Lykes

SnookerFan wrote:
Thompson Lykes wrote:you don't know what the options are.

Most of that is true. <ok>

But when you start putting things on red buttons it means people don't have direct access through normal telly - BBC1 or 2 - and that is a switch off to sponsors because there is no guarantee people will watch it

Losing the BBC coverage at this stage would be detrimental to the sport, no doubt about it. I can't see anybody covering it as much as the BBC have with the red button coverage et al.

And don't think it's not a possibility with the falling viewing figures we've had in the past. Hopefully that won't happen. Even if they keept it on BBC 2 as daytime television viewing, and then just remove the prime time evening TV to the red button. <ok>

Postby sundaygirl

The proposed closesure of 6music prompted vast amounts of passionate emails from apoplectic licence payers including myself. The resulting publicity doubled listening figures ans a u-turn occurred. We should let the BBC know how much we value their coverage. It is staple of the spring schedule. Although it is ultimately Hearnes decision if the BBC wants to show 3 weekends of snooker Barry will provide it.

Postby randam05

sundaygirl wrote:The proposed closesure of 6music prompted vast amounts of passionate emails from apoplectic licence payers including myself. The resulting publicity doubled listening figures ans a u-turn occurred. We should let the BBC know how much we value their coverage. It is staple of the spring schedule. Although it is ultimately Hearnes decision if the BBC wants to show 3 weekends of snooker Barry will provide it.

3 weekends of good televised snooker = :) :D <cool> :ahh: :bowdown: :love: <laugh> <ok> :excited: :afro: :clap: :mosh2: :ba:

Postby SnookerFan

sundaygirl wrote:The proposed closesure of 6music prompted vast amounts of passionate emails from apoplectic licence payers including myself. The resulting publicity doubled listening figures ans a u-turn occurred. We should let the BBC know how much we value their coverage. It is staple of the spring schedule. Although it is ultimately Hearnes decision if the BBC wants to show 3 weekends of snooker Barry will provide it.

I'm in. Maybe we should send in e-mails already, saying we disagree with it being shortened. Give a reaction just based on the suggestion, they might see how passionate we are.

Postby Roland

It looks like tis the season of email campaigning. TL is right, but I would rather see it go online, to sky or to another country and relayed back through Eurosport than have the format tampered with in any way.

Postby SnookerFan

Sonny wrote:It looks like tis the season of email campaigning. TL is right, but I would rather see it go online, to sky or to another country and relayed back through Eurosport than have the format tampered with in any way.

But what if it wasn't broadcast in HD? Then you'd be snake hissed.

Postby randam05

SnookerFan wrote:

I'm in. Maybe we should send in e-mails already, saying we disagree with it being shortened. Give a reaction just based on the suggestion, they might see how passionate we are.

a few of us done it already and im sending one later, so go for it.

Postby Eirebilly

When you look at the reactions of the general snooker fan, surely there is no way that this can go through? Arent we the ones who ultimately support snooker and in a reasonably large way contribute to alot of its revenue? Surely Mr Hearn wont be silly enough to ignore out pleas.

Postby Eirebilly

When you look at the reactions of the general snooker fan, surely there is no way that this can go through? Arent we the ones who ultimately support snooker and in a reasonably large way contribute to alot of its revenue? Surely Mr Hearn wont be silly enough to ignore out pleas.

Postby SnookerFan

eirebilly wrote:When you look at the reactions of the general snooker fan, surely there is no way that this can go through? Arent we the ones who ultimately support snooker and in a reasonably large way contribute to alot of its revenue? Surely Mr Hearn wont be silly enough to ignore out pleas.

Hearn is trying to buid a new fan base. It's possible he'll see chasing a way a few fans who have supported snooker for years to bring in hundreds of new ones as worth it. I hope he doesn't, as this would be a mistake. The Crucible is snooker, and should be ignored at peril.

Postby randam05

SnookerFan wrote:
eirebilly wrote:When you look at the reactions of the general snooker fan, surely there is no way that this can go through? Arent we the ones who ultimately support snooker and in a reasonably large way contribute to alot of its revenue? Surely Mr Hearn wont be silly enough to ignore out pleas.

Hearn is trying to buid a new fan base. It's possible he'll see chasing a way a few fans who have supported snooker for years to bring in hundreds of new ones as worth it. I hope he doesn't, as this would be a mistake. The Crucible is snooker, and should be ignored at peril.

but hes never going to bring lots more fans, he may aswell face it, especially without promotion.
Hes only going to drive away the fans he has and bring less new ones. :huh2:

Postby SnookerFan

randam05 wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:

but hes never going to bring lots more fans, he may aswell face it, especially without promotion.

I've said it a million times before, but marketing is the key. It's absolutely crucial, and yet it gets overlooked. They did a good job sending that lorry around Glasgow advertising the World Open, that's a very good start. But how many of these new fans outside of Glasgow knew about it? We all did, obviously, but we're existing fans. If they did a survey of the average TV viewers, did they know; a) The World Open was on and b) The differences between this and the Grand Prix.

We can talk about changes of formats, all year and whether we're for or against them, but none of them are going to work unless you advertise them. And not just to people selling tickets, but to the television viewers as well. If you're selling a product that people don't know exists, nobody will buy into it. That's a basic.

I have seen some snooker fans go; "Yeah, bring in shot clocks, then more fans will come in." <doh> Like you say, there's more to it then that. And if you're snake hissing off the existing fans, without bringing in new ones, what are you left with?
Last edited by SnookerFan on 29 Sep 2010, edited 1 time in total.

Postby randam05

YES YES YES snookerfan! spot on.

I also feel strongly about this and have posted many responses on other threads about poor promotion.

I agree on every point you say there..well done! a perfect comment, couldnt agree more.

I just hope Hearn sees this.

I have said all that before infact on 606 ages ago I think but didnt have much response. I am yet to see any tournament being promoted anywhere except on snooker websites, snookerscene magazines and on posters in the town its hosted.

Postby Wildey

randam05 wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:

totally agree you either Love Snooker or you dont.

theres a lot of bull written about people thats never interested in snooker being watching the World Open.

i can Guarantee every person on here There will be even More watching at the Crucible in April.

Postby Black2white

randam05 wrote:but hes never going to bring lots more fans, he may aswell face it, especially without promotion.

<ok> and that is exactly the point I made in my letter to the worldsnooker
the only way to bring in more fans is first, effective advertising and second, variety of tournaments (now we have the World Open, then the PL, we are gonna have a team event etc)

Postby SnookerFan

I did have a conversation with somebody on another snooker forum once, who said that saying 'snooker needs more marketing' was a too simplistic view of the problem. But his idea was; "The Premier League attracts fans, so bring shot clocks to ranking events and there'll be more fans." <doh>

He wouldn't accept that there are other factors that make the PL well attended other then the shot clock. And, just for arguments sake, lets say shot clocks are the way forward, people aren't going to know that there are shot clocks in ranking events unless it's advertised. <doh>

And marketing stretches to promotion of the product too. Chosing the correct location, for example, is part of it. And loathe as I am to admit this, even scheduling of matches plays it's part. Advertising is only part of the package.

Though, that perhaps is the first thing that should be addressed.

The first year I went to Telford, I watched the afternoon session, and I went to the hotel bar afterwards (which was in fact a pub open to the public). The barman stuck the snooker on the telly, and some guy walked in and on watching the snooker for a bit, turned to me and asked where it was being held. He was flabbergasted to find it was being held within walking distance of where we were. This is particularly unaccpetable as just by walking around Telford I knew that The Krankies were in pantomime in Wolverhampton just by seeing adverts. This guy is obviously a casual fan, because most hardcore fans would know where each tournament is being held. But he should've been aware where it was. If he is interested enough to watch snooker with a few beers, he may have been interested in springing £10 for a first round ticket.

Postby NedB-H

SnookerFan wrote:
The first year I went to Telford, I watched the afternoon session, and I went to the hotel bar afterwards (which was in fact a pub open to the public). The barman stuck the snooker on the telly, and some guy walked in and on watching the snooker for a bit, turned to me and asked where it was being held. He was flabbergasted to find it was being held within walking distance of where we were. This is particularly unaccpetable as just by walking around Telford I knew that The Krankies were in pantomime in Wolverhampton just by seeing adverts. This guy is obviously a casual fan, because most hardcore fans would know where each tournament is being held. But he should've been aware where it was. If he is interested enough to watch snooker with a few beers, he may have been interested in springing £10 for a first round ticket.

<ok>

This should be posted on the wall of Barry Hearn's office.

Postby Caledonian Craig

I saw the brief chat on the BBC with JP, Steve Davis and Hazel about the format of the World Championships and that is all it was - chat. As I recall it was JP who wanted a slight change shortening First and Second Round matches feeling players would arrive into the Final fresh and play better snooker.

Sorry but in my book if it ain't broke don't fix it. The present format has worked just fine for a great number of years and holds its position as the best loved snooker tournament on the planet so no need to change it and I do not think there will be a change either. It was merely a time filling discussion on the BBC between pundits in the aftermath of the short formatted World Open.

One more thing - over the longer matches you get a truer result so by shortening formats you run the risk of more freak results and quality not rising to the top. Far too great a risk to even contemplate.