92%
Neil Robertson
No votes
Shaun Murphy
No votes
Mark Selby
8%

Total votes : 13

Re: Player of the season 2019-20 (so far)

Postby The Ace

D4P wrote:No voting options for the UK and Masters champions...?

I thought about it, but given how both Ding and Bingham have been terrible outside of the tournaments they won, I couldn't justify them being considered for player of the season. I would even have put Ronnie ahead of both of them, and I didn't include him either.

Postby Iranu

It’s got to be Judd. Robbo’s the only one that comes close and to be honest he doesn’t really come that close.

Postby HustleKing

Picked Selby as a wind up as Judd is definitely getting over hyped for someone with one world title.

Let him get to four plus titles, then the Judd fanboys can act like he is absolutely amazing >-(

Postby Johnny Bravo

HustleKing wrote:Picked Selby as a wind up as Judd is definitely getting over hyped for someone with one world title.

Let him get to four plus titles, then the Judd fanboys can act like he is absolutely amazing >-(

He's the man of the moment, so it's logical he's getting hyped up a bit.

Postby HustleKing

Johnny Bravo wrote:
HustleKing wrote:Picked Selby as a wind up as Judd is definitely getting over hyped for someone with one world title.

He's the man of the moment, so it's logical he's getting hyped up a bit.

Some hype is far, but he's definitely getting over-hyped when you have pointless threads like this with obvious answers that are only created to throw more attention his way by the fanboys >-(

Postby HappyCamper

Yan Bingtao should be on the shortlist. Teenager getting first victory, as well as couple other semis and finals. Breaking into top 16.

Postby TheRocket

Trump by a mile for obvious reasons. I think its a close call between Robertson and Murphy about who has been second best. Robertson has actually suffered many early round defeats this season while Murphys had a steady consistent season but the Aussie won one more tournament (3 to Murphys 2) so he probably edges it.

Postby D4P

A more interesting poll question would be this one:

"Which players, if they were to win the World Championship (assuming it happens) in 2020, would overtake Judd for Player of the Season 2019-20?"

Postby HustleKing

D4P wrote:A more interesting poll question would be this one:

"Which players, if they were to win the World Championship (assuming it happens) in 2020, would overtake Judd for Player of the Season 2019-20?"

Yes, but the thing is, that is a question were Judd cannot be the answer/take 1st place :roll:

Postby D4P

HustleKing wrote:

Yes, but the thing is, that is a question were Judd cannot be the answer/take 1st place :roll:

To me, the point is that Judd is obviously the player of the year thus far, and would continue to be if he were to win the WC. The only remaining question is which players (if any) could arguably overtake him were they to win the WC...

Postby Iranu

D4P wrote:
HustleKing wrote:

To me, the point is that Judd is obviously the player of the year thus far, and would continue to be if he were to win the WC. The only remaining question is which players (if any) could arguably overtake him were they to win the WC...

Arguably most of the tour.

If anyone outside the top 32 for instance won the WC, that single achievement would make them player of the season due to the unlikelihood, the story and the status and difficulty of the World Championship.

Likewise with Robbo and Murphy. With what they’ve already done so far, winning the Worlds would be enough to push them ahead of Judd.

Postby The Ace

If Murphy or Robertson wins the word championship, then yes that would be enough to overtake Judd. There’s an argument that if Ronnie won it he could be player of the season too. I still think breaking the record of ranking wins in a season is something special in itself though.

Postby Iranu

The Ace wrote:If Murphy or Robertson wins the word championship, then yes that would be enough to overtake Judd. There’s an argument that if Ronnie won it he could be player of the season too. I still think breaking the record of ranking wins in a season is something special in itself though.

Yeah it really is. Even with the number of ranking tournaments, to win 6 titles after winning the Worlds when you’d expect a bit of a hangover is phenomenal.

He’s won something like 9 ranking tournaments in the last 16 months plus the Masters. Crazy stuff.

I do think that story-wise and shock-wise, if someone outside the top 32 won the Worlds they’d be player of the season from that point of view. And also because I think Judd (and any player) would swap winning 6 rankers for winning the World Title, so I think that’s a measure too.

But from a start-to-finish standpoint only Robbo or Murphy could top him.