Post a reply

Re: 2020 World Champs to run from July 31 to August 16

Postby lhpirnie

Wildey wrote:Also there is a distinction between what sports can be played outside and what can or canot be played inside in a confined space which the Crucible is.

Yes, that's right. I think the measures published today basically implies that any sports will have to be behind closed doors before July (at least). Possibly a few spectators can be admitted to the Crucible in August, but certainly not a full crowd - not even close. I also think a general media ban would be inevitable, but that's not going to bother anyone.

One of the issues they will have to ensure is the protection of employees, essentially referees and stage managers. Limited PPE (basically facemasks) is allowable in situations where social distancing isn't possible. But I still think the reassurance of testing everyone onsite would be the way to go. Someone on here suggested taking out some (unused) seats in the Crucible to allow for two tables, which is interesting if possible.

I'm pretty certain that football are trying to start up sometime in June. If they can do that then snooker should be able to run, even if indoors.

Postby Andre147

If playing outdoors will be a pain in the ass for organisers to maintain health concerns, playing indoors will be next to impossible any time soon.

I do believe the most sensible decision will be to scrap it altogether, and start a new season when it is possible, and most importantly, safe.

Postby Wildey

Andre147 wrote:If playing outdoors will be a pain in the ass for organisers to maintain health concerns, playing indoors will be next to impossible any time soon.

I do believe the most sensible decision will be to scrap it altogether, and start a new season when it is possible, and most importantly, safe.

Thats how i would go with it.

Theres so much uncertainty about everything you got the Tour Championship, World Qualies and the Main event to be played before mid August.

Players wont know if they will be able to play Ding will need to be in quaranteen for 2 weeks. and lets be honest that will not change for a while.

Far better to plan ahead forget Q School try and get a tournament or 2 in october then UK in december and take it from there.

Postby Acé

Scooper wrote:I say buck it, let’s just do it. I like the thought of squeezing into a crowded theatre of hot sweaty people coughing AIDS all over each other - will add an element of danger to proceedings.

Just use disinfectant :dance2:

Postby SnookerFan

Acé wrote:
Scooper wrote:I say buck it, let’s just do it. I like the thought of squeezing into a crowded theatre of hot sweaty people coughing AIDS all over each other - will add an element of danger to proceedings.

So that's two Trumps that you are a fan of?

Postby Acé

SnookerFan wrote:
Acé wrote:

I don't like Trump but I appreciate the memes

Postby SnookerFan

Acé wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:
Acé wrote:

I don't like Trump but I appreciate the memes

You don't like Judd? :shock:

Postby lhpirnie

SnookerFan wrote:Mark Williams disses no fans at The Crucible.

https://metro.co.uk/2020/05/12/mark-wil ... -12692106/

It's easy for MJW to make such comments, but he didn't say that he will definitely not play. His career is a bit aimless these days, and he needs a lot of incentive to get his cue out and practice.

But the interview with Barry Hearn is good. It gives enough insight into the costs, constraints and benefits of staging the World Championships. I'd agree it's about 90%, and probably without spectators.

Postby vodkadiet1

It won't happen this year. There will be a second wave within weeks. I went to get on the London Underground earlier and I didn't even get to the ticket barrier. There were masses of people piling through and I just turned back and got out of there. There isn't anywhere near a full quota of tubes yet. The virus must already be starting to spread again. The Tory government won't pay extra money for the services. Johnson is a fuckwit!

Postby Wildey

SnookerFan wrote:
vodkadiet1 wrote:Johnson is a fuckwit!

I mean, this isn't untrue.

that really isnt news and the british public voted for him we got what we voted for.

Postby Wildey

In other countries full on contact sports played outside is preferred to indoor sports at the moment take Denmark they are getting ready to start with football but it will take another month before they will consider indoor sports with 4 deaths there today. We got a long way to go.

Postby donthittheblue

It seems pretty likely this will go ahead in summer now, with or without fans.

If it's with fans I won't be going despite having originally planned to.

If it's without fans that will no doubt make it easier for players to socially distance and also give more room for social distancing.

One possibility that did occur to me was a 4 table and 4 referee set up where each player has their own table and the referees copy the other tables balls across after each shot for them (with the player leaving the room while the referee sets the balls up between shots). We have hawkeye etc and replays - this would be a good way of minimising player contact.

Deep clean the tables between sessions and bingo.

Postby Iranu

donthittheblue wrote:One possibility that did occur to me was a 4 table and 4 referee set up where each player has their own table and the referees copy the other tables balls across after each shot for them (with the player leaving the room while the referee sets the balls up between shots). We have hawkeye etc and replays - this would be a good way of minimising player contact.

That would be very arduous and time-consuming, considering how long it can take to replace a ball for snookers!

Postby donthittheblue

Iranu wrote:
donthittheblue wrote:One possibility that did occur to me was a 4 table and 4 referee set up where each player has their own table and the referees copy the other tables balls across after each shot for them (with the player leaving the room while the referee sets the balls up between shots). We have hawkeye etc and replays - this would be a good way of minimising player contact.

That would be very arduous and time-consuming, considering how long it can take to replace a ball for snookers!

It's by no means an ideal or even elegant solution but if the priority is to get players earning again as the WST seem intent to claim, it would be a solution.

Has anyone discussed what happens with regards to players with underlying health conditions who need to shield, will they receive financial compensation for tournaments that take place while there under restrictions?

Postby Wallace12

donthittheblue wrote:
Iranu wrote:

Has anyone discussed what happens with regards to players with underlying health conditions who need to shield, will they receive financial compensation for tournaments that take place while there under restrictions?

They will probably receive nothing. Either way, the tournament should go ahead without them, as harsh as that may seem.

Postby SnookerFan

lhpirnie wrote:Qualifiers scheduled for 18th July.

I don't know if that means it clashes with the Tour Championships. There are no players involved in both, but some commentators are.

Maybe they just won't have commentators at the qualifiers? It's only us anoraks that watch it.

Postby The Ace

SnookerFan wrote:

I don't know if that means it clashes with the Tour Championships. There are no players involved in both, but some commentators are.

Maybe they just won't have commentators at the qualifiers? It's only us anoraks that watch it.

I don’t think many people would miss it. Don’t they only do it for the third round of qualifying anyway?

Postby SnookerFan

The Ace wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:

I don’t think many people would miss it. Don’t they only do it for the third round of qualifying anyway?

Yeah, they do.

Postby lhpirnie

SnookerFan wrote:
The Ace wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:

Yeah, they do.

Sorry! I meant that some commentators for the TC, such as Alan McManus, might be involved in the WC Qualifiers as players!