Post a reply

How are you filling the void this weekend?

Postby mick745

Need i remind people that this weekend would have been the world snooker championship final?

How are you going to fill the time? Are you going to forget about snooker or watch aome classic matches?

As an 80s snooker fan i am going to watch the entire 1985 Coral UK final between Steve Davis and Willie Thorne. Thorne played brilliantly for 3 sessions to lead 13-8 going into the last session but a missed blue while clearing up in the evening's opening frame proved the turning point.

I am then going to watch the entire 1986 world final between Joe Johnson and Steve Davis.

If i have time i might watch a couple of classic masters finals, Higgins v O'Sullivan, Hunter v O'Sullivan and Selby v O'Sullivan. Maybe Hendry v Hallett or Hendry v Williams. All went to deciding frames.

We have been blessed by great masters finals down the years.

What are everyone else's plans?

Re: How are you filling the void this weekend?

Postby SnookerFan

I'm on and off with this weird sniffle illness thing and throat.

I was well enough to have a beer last night with Higgins and Tramp last night.

Bit sniffly now. Just have some telly. Possibly no beer today.

Postby SnookerEd25

I have been watching loads of old WC matches, mainly on YouTube over the last 2 weeks, roughly along the pattern of when the rounds would have been played, so semi finals for the last 2 days for me (watched Reardon v Charlton & Higgins v White from 82, Thorburn v Knowles (83), White v Stevens (84), & v James (91), Doherty v Hunter (03) & Ebdon v Fu (06). Today i’m going to watch Ding v McManus (2016) & Williams v Hawkins from 2018.

Then work out which frames of which finals to gorge on over the next 2 days...

Postby vodkadiet1

I am watching The Snooker Championships at The Crucible. It is being screened on ZDF. Rolf Kalb's commentary is great. I appreciate there are only 100 spectators in the auditorium because of Covid -19 but boy are they making a lot of noise! And Kalb has proved you only need one commentator in the box. I can see this becoming 'the new normal'.

Postby HustleKing

Gonna watch the infamous 1990 movie Troll 2. I've heard that the film was a mess as it was a cheap cash in on the first Troll movie (which I found to be average) where the production company called it Troll 2 to con viewers into giving them money. Also, the crew mostly spoke Italian while the cast were all North American, so the dialogue is supposed to be extremely incoherent. Yikes :irk:

Postby Dan-cat

SnookerEd25 wrote:I have been watching loads of old WC matches, mainly on YouTube over the last 2 weeks, roughly along the pattern of when the rounds would have been played, so semi finals for the last 2 days for me (watched Reardon v Charlton & Higgins v White from 82, Thorburn v Knowles (83), White v Stevens (84), & v James (91), Doherty v Hunter (03) & Ebdon v Fu (06). Today i’m going to watch Ding v McManus (2016) & Williams v Hawkins from 2018.

Dracula vs Steady Eddie! You are a purist, sir :hatoff:

Postby HappyCamper

HustleKing wrote:Gonna watch the infamous 1990 movie Troll 2. I've heard that the film was a mess as it was a cheap cash in on the first Troll movie (which I found to be average) where the production company called it Troll 2 to con viewers into giving them money. Also, the crew mostly spoke Italian while the cast were all North American, so the dialogue is supposed to be extremely incoherent. Yikes :irk:

it' bad. alas not in a particularly entertaining way.

Postby mick745

SnookerEd25 wrote:I have been watching loads of old WC matches, mainly on YouTube over the last 2 weeks, roughly along the pattern of when the rounds would have been played, so semi finals for the last 2 days for me (watched Reardon v Charlton & Higgins v White from 82, Thorburn v Knowles (83), White v Stevens (84), & v James (91), Doherty v Hunter (03) & Ebdon v Fu (06). Today i’m going to watch Ding v McManus (2016) & Williams v Hawkins from 2018.

Ebdon Fu was a cracking match.

Postby SnookerFan

HustleKing wrote:Gonna watch the infamous 1990 movie Troll 2. I've heard that the film was a mess as it was a cheap cash in on the first Troll movie (which I found to be average) where the production company called it Troll 2 to con viewers into giving them money. Also, the crew mostly spoke Italian while the cast were all North American, so the dialogue is supposed to be extremely incoherent. Yikes :irk:

Never keen on Troll 2. There are better worse movies. If that makes sense.

Enjoyed the first one.

Postby SnookerEd25

Dan-cat wrote:

Dracula vs Steady Eddie! You are a purist, sir :hatoff:

Thank you. It was interesting watching both 82 semis alongside each other, the tactical battle of the old masters in this one against the crash-bang-wallop of White-Higgins. I am a purist, so enjoyed both; strangely there is more footage on YouTube of the Reardon match and better quality picture too.

Postby Dan-cat

SnookerEd25 wrote:
Dan-cat wrote:Dracula vs Steady Eddie! You are a purist, sir :hatoff:

Thank you. It was interesting watching both 82 semis alongside each other, the tactical battle of the old masters in this one against the crash-bang-wallop of White-Higgins. I am a purist, so enjoyed both; strangely there is more footage on YouTube of the Reardon match and better quality picture too.

Me too mate, will look out that match later. I love a good old slog as much as the one frame visit stuff. Not quite as much as Wildey though <laugh>

Postby Ck147

Went for a bike ride, watched some more Clone Wars on Disney+, piled up all the logs in my garage from tree cutting escapades couple of weeks ago, and dusted off my old cobweb covered telescope that I found in the garage. Just been looking at the moon, might try and get some pictures of it once it gets dark.

Postby Badsnookerplayer

Ck147 wrote:Went for a bike ride, watched some more Clone Wars on Disney+, piled up all the logs in my garage from tree cutting escapades couple of weeks ago, and dusted off my old cobweb covered telescope that I found in the garage. Just been looking at the moon, might try and get some pictures of it once it gets dark.

What type of bike?

How much do I need to spend on a telescope to get a decent one?

Postby Juddernaut88

Ck147 wrote:Went for a bike ride, watched some more Clone Wars on Disney+, piled up all the logs in my garage from tree cutting escapades couple of weeks ago, and dusted off my old cobweb covered telescope that I found in the garage. Just been looking at the moon, might try and get some pictures of it once it gets dark.

I watched clone wars too. Was a decent episode. I think there's only one episode left :(

Postby Ck147

Badsnookerplayer wrote:

What type of bike?

My old steel framed mountain bike I converted to a touring bike - added panniers, changed gearing, saddle, wheels, tyres, etc, added a dynamo with a USB charger for phone/gps for a week long south coast camping/riding trip a couple of years ago. I used to compete (mtb, road & tri - amateur not pro!) so have a few bikes, my road bike and mountain bike are hanging on the garage wall, need to lose some weight and get fitter before I dare use them. Also have my grans old folding bike as she can't ride any more, I've probably used that the most recently to go to the shops or pub (before lockdown).

I think I spent £600 on telescope and mount about 8-9 years ago. At the time it was considered a good starting point if you were "serious" about it. A good mount is more important than the actual telescope itself, especially if you want to take pictures through it. I spent a bit extra on a motor, eyepieces, filters, camera, etc. Probably a grand in all. Felt that was about right for my level of seriousness at the time. Some people get really serious, you could easily spend 10-20k on a fully computerised setup with a sturdy mount and a telescope the price of a small car.

Postby Ck147

Juddernaut88 wrote:

I watched clone wars too. Was a decent episode. I think there's only one episode left :(

I'm halfway through season 3, and finished season 2 of Rebels. Watched last episode of Mando yesterday, can't wait for season 2, heard they've already started work on season 3 too.

Postby Juddernaut88

Ck147 wrote:
Juddernaut88 wrote:

I'm halfway through season 3, and finished season 2 of Rebels. Watched last episode of Mando yesterday, can't wait for season 2, heard they've already started work on season 3 too.

Ahh fair enough. I watched a lot of the older Clone wars series over the last few years. I've only sparingly watched Rebels so I need to go back and watch all of those episodes. I just need to watch the last episode of Mando, I will try and do that tomorrow.

Postby Ck147

Juddernaut88 wrote:
Ck147 wrote:
Juddernaut88 wrote:

Ahh fair enough. I watched a lot of the older Clone wars series over the last few years. I've only sparingly watched Rebels so I need to go back and watch all of those episodes. I just need to watch the last episode of Mando, I will try and do that tomorrow.

I loved the beginning with the two speeder bike guys. I prefer all the original era stuff as was a kid when Star Wars came out, had the figures/toys, went to fancy dress parties with friends as Star Wars characters, etc. Disney have messed up the films since taking over (apart from Rogue One) but seem to be doing a good job with the TV stuff.

Postby Ck147

Badsnookerplayer wrote:

What type of bike?

Here she is, a classic '95 Kili Pro heavily modified by me, my third frameset from Saracen after failures in 2 Kili Flyer framesets while racing back in the day, I ended up in hospital after one of the failures. Saracen were pretty good, as were Evans Waterloo in sorting me out with replacement framesets. She's 25 this year and been very reliable. If you want to hear about my road and mtb bikes, PM me they are custom made and this isn't the right forum for that sort of talk.
And here is a picture of the moon I took tonight, I could have spent time "zooming-in" to a crater but cue wine told me to watch TV instead.

Postby eraserhead

Biking, Twin Peaks and movies.

If you're into slashers Blood Rage is a great weird movie to watch at some point.