Post a reply

How Times Change for Robbo ?

Postby GJ

During the worlds in 2008 robbo was low on confidence and his 2 ranking titles before felt like a distant memory.

I can still remember the constant stick robbo was getting from various posters on other forums for example smart’s article called the rise and fall of robbo.

Since that hammering by Maguire and poor form early in the next season robbo has went from strength to strength.

Starting with the Bahrain championship robbo has taken his game to a new level and his now clearly the world number 1 in snooker.

I never doubted robbo world champion as i believed he had the bottle and talent to be a great in snooker.

What do you feel has made the difference in robbo since the 2008 world championships ?

Re: How Times Change for Robbo ?

Postby Wildey

im almost hoping Robbo drops down just to shut up GJ the old mate rofl

Postby Bourne

GJ do you think there was one match which he won that changed his fortunes from being a decent top 16 player to a player he is now ?

Postby Rocket_ron

Bourne wrote:GJ do you think there was one match which he won that changed his fortunes from being a decent top 16 player to a player he is now ?

yes higgins semi last year imo

Postby Roland

Yep, Higgins semi last year. That was the best I'd seen him play and it sent him to the next level of belief. Definitely the Higgins semi-final. Even if he'd lost I still think it would have changed his fortunes.

Postby GJ

Bourne wrote:GJ do you think there was one match which he won that changed his fortunes from being a decent top 16 player to a player he is now ?

2 matches stick in my mind as being key

higgins match at 2009 grand prix - his best ever break building performance IMO

gould match at crucible - what an epic comeback he would have got so much belief after that match

:afro:

Postby GJ

look what i have found <laugh>

http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/606/A42112496

smart has played his part in robbo's success as robbo said he was looking through different forums and saw the stick he was getting from smart and others.

smart :bowdown: :D <cool>

Postby Roland

I forgot about that slump, he was awful for a season wasn't he? I played my part too :redneck:

Postby Bourne

GJtheaussiestud wrote:

higgins match at 2009 grand prix - his best ever break building performance IMO

gould match at crucible - what an epic comeback he would have got so much belief after that match

:afro:

Yeh Higgins match was the one I went with too, the Gould match was definitely the most important for his world title run but that kinda goes without saying, comeback's of that sort are pretty rare especially as Gould was playing so scarily well. I'd also mention the Ronnie match at the Masters, had to bring out his absolute a-game to put Robbo away and that highlighted just how much respect everyone had to show him

Postby Alex0paul

2008 Bahrain Championship quarter final where he beat Maguire for me was a massive turning point. He had been Stephen's rabbit before that match and that may have given him the belief that he was getting back to form and should be where he was.

Postby GJ

Sonny wrote:I forgot about that slump, he was awful for a season wasn't he? I played my part too :redneck:

you were man enough to admit you were wrong :ahh:

Postby GJ

rocket_ron wrote:
GJtheaussiestud wrote:look what i have found <laugh>

smart has played his part in robbo's success as robbo said he was looking through different forums and saw the stick he was getting from smart and others.

just bumped it :redneck:

Good man <cool>

Postby Rocket_ron

GJtheaussiestud wrote:
rocket_ron wrote:
GJtheaussiestud wrote:look what i have found <laugh>

just bumped it :redneck:

Good man <cool>

always <ok>

Postby Wildey

GJtheaussiestud wrote:

DONT GIVE ME THAT

every match stick in your head and we all get to know about them <laugh>

Postby Bourne

wildJONESEYE wrote:
GJtheaussiestud wrote:

DONT GIVE ME THAT

every match stick in your head and we all get to know about them <laugh>

Every win* :redneck:

I'll also say the Carter match in the Worlds not last year the year before when he knocked in about 4 60+ clearances to mentally destroy Carter that was big, paved the way to his first time at the one-table setup in Sheffield

Postby Eirebilly

For me, Robbo started to believe in his own ability more. I never really felt that he was at home in England and now that he has pretty much aclimatised which has to give him some more peace and confidence.

Postby Sophie Hart

I agree with eirbilly, its more about feeling comfortable and building confidence up to a level. Its not much of a surprise for me, that Robo has excelled no. It was to happen for him, sooner or later.

Postby Eirebilly

Robbo is coming along nicely. What i have also noticed is that he has a lot more belief in his own abilities, even before becoming World Champion. He now seems to be able to back himself more and coupled with his excellent long potting, he puts his opponants under great pressure when playing snookers against him. This is a trait i used to see alot in Mark Williams.