Post a reply

Re: Stephen Hendry coming out of retirement?

Postby mick745

Just cant see it. He wouldnt be competing with the likes of Judd for trophies and that would not satisfy him. His standard would be a long way behind the top players now.

Postby HustleKing

Be funny if he did come out of retirement, because then he would likely go ultra tactical and safe (which he hated in the original part of his career) as it's the only way he wouldn't get battered, at least against the top 16 or so players. If he did come back, there's no way he would play like Thepchyai against the top players

Postby SnookerEd25

I would be disappointed if he came back because the only reason I would see him doing so would be if he was in financial trouble and needed the money and, as any boxing fan would tell you, that's never a good basis on which to chase your past.

Postby Andre147

Hendry winning the Seniors and getting an invite to play at the CoC I can definately see happening.

More than that? Not a chance.

Postby SnookerFan

Andre147 wrote:Hendry winning the Seniors and getting an invite to play at the CoC I can definately see happening.

More than that? Not a chance.

I agree.

I'd love to see him at the Champion Of Champions. But I don't really see him beating any of the top players. I guess he could edge past the first round in a best of seven, if he gets a 'lesser' player. But his days of performing to a consistent level were gone even before he retired.

Does he still suffer from Yips? What's SightRight gonna do to cure that?

Postby Holden Chinaski

SnookerFan wrote:

I think that's the goal. Can't see him playing when he's still struggling with the yips.

Postby SnookerFan

Holden Chinaski wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:

I think that's the goal. Can't see him playing when he's still struggling with the yips.

Is it something that can be cured? Or can SightRight give him tips to playing, despite his condition?

I feel skeptical. He was past his best for some years before retiring, then he's taken even more years off the game. I can't see him being able to reclaim any kind of past glories. Much though I'd love to be wrong on that.

Postby Badsnookerplayer

SnookerFan wrote:
Holden Chinaski wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:

Is it something that can be cured? Or can SightRight give him tips to playing, despite his condition?

I feel skeptical. He was past his best for some years before retiring, then he's taken even more years off the game. I can't see him being able to reclaim any kind of past glories. Much though I'd love to be wrong on that.

Your are clearly in a positive mood this morning Mr Motivator

Postby SnookerFan

Badsnookerplayer wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:
Holden Chinaski wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:

^ You're.

Postby Badsnookerplayer

SnookerFan wrote:
Badsnookerplayer wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:
Holden Chinaski wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:

^ You're.

rofl

Postby mick745

It is not known whether the "yips" is physical, mental or s combination of both.

I have always wondered about the affect the same muscle movement has on your body if you do that same movement millions and millions of times which top snooker players obviously do.

Is it some kind of RSI therefore?

Postby Dan-cat

mick745 wrote:It is not known whether the "yips" is physical, mental or s combination of both.

I have always wondered about the affect the same muscle movement has on your body if you do that same movement millions and millions of times which top snooker players obviously do.

Of course it's mental. It may manifest itself physically but it's driven by the mind and its many devious tricks.

Postby Iranu

Dan-cat wrote:
mick745 wrote:It is not known whether the "yips" is physical, mental or s combination of both.

Of course it's mental. It may manifest itself physically but it's driven by the mind and its many devious tricks.

Nobody knows for sure.

Postby Holden Chinaski

I play acoustic fingerstyle guitar. I play a lot of songs that I've learned a long time ago and I play them without thinking about the structure of the songs or what my fingers are doing. In fingerstyle guitar, the right hand is often doing complicated things. The thumb is playing a bass line pattern while the fingers are playing melody patterns. Sometimes a friend who also plays asks me to show him a certain pattern. Sometimes it happens that I break down a fingering pattern that I've been playing for years without effort, and because I break it down for him I'm thinking about it too much and now I forgot how I played it and I need to learn it again myself! This has happened to me a couple of times.

I think this might be a little similar to the yips. When you think about something you've been doing for years with the help of muscle memory, sometimes the thinking makes you change the way you did it before..

Postby Iranu

Holden Chinaski wrote:I play acoustic fingerstyle guitar. I play a lot of songs that I've learned a long time ago and I play them without thinking about the structure of the songs or what my fingers are doing. In fingerstyle guitar, the right hand is often doing complicated things. The thumb is playing a bass line pattern while the fingers are playing melody patterns. Sometimes a friend who also plays asks me to show him a certain pattern. Sometimes it happens that I break down a fingering pattern that I've been playing for years without effort, and because I break it down for him I'm thinking about it too much and now I forgot how I played it and I need to learn it again myself! This has happened to me a couple of times.

This happens to me if I make the mistake of thinking about my PIN number at a cash machine.

Postby Holden Chinaski

Iranu wrote:
Holden Chinaski wrote:I play acoustic fingerstyle guitar. I play a lot of songs that I've learned a long time ago and I play them without thinking about the structure of the songs or what my fingers are doing. In fingerstyle guitar, the right hand is often doing complicated things. The thumb is playing a bass line pattern while the fingers are playing melody patterns. Sometimes a friend who also plays asks me to show him a certain pattern. Sometimes it happens that I break down a fingering pattern that I've been playing for years without effort, and because I break it down for him I'm thinking about it too much and now I forgot how I played it and I need to learn it again myself! This has happened to me a couple of times.

This happens to me if I make the mistake of thinking about my PIN number at a cash machine.

Yes, that's happened to me as well!

Postby Sickpotter

The Ace wrote:I don't think this would be a very wise decision. It's sad enough seeing Jimmy still pottering about, I don't think it would be good if Hendry decided to join in too.

The thing about these guys is they still have the ability/game, they just lack the confidence.

I had the pleasure of watching an exhibition with these two not long ago and when the pressure of a tournament is not on the line they don't miss much at all. Watched Jimmy practice for 2hrs...he never missed a ball. Hendry rolled in a sublime 134 in his first frame (which someone paid $500 to play against him, had one shot :chuckle: ), that was after 8hr flight in from the UK, no practice, no warm up at all. Admittedly the table played easier than a tournament table but I wouldn't call them bucket pockets.

If Sight Right fixes Hendrys confidence/yips issue and he starts enjoying the game again look out. :mosh2:

Big ask at this point but it would be great to see a resurgent Hendry, best of luck to him. <ok>

Postby mick745

As long as he can get on tour on merit and not just as a charity place then good luck to him.

He didnt play any matches before as a wildcard/holder of a discretionary tour card.

Be there on merit or not at all otherwise you are taking a tour place away from someone else.

Postby Dan-cat

Sickpotter wrote:
The Ace wrote:I don't think this would be a very wise decision. It's sad enough seeing Jimmy still pottering about, I don't think it would be good if Hendry decided to join in too.

The thing about these guys is they still have the ability/game, they just lack the confidence.

I had the pleasure of watching an exhibition with these two not long ago and when the pressure of a tournament is not on the line they don't miss much at all. Watched Jimmy practice for 2hrs...he never missed a ball. Hendry rolled in a sublime 134 in his first frame (which someone paid $500 to play against him, had one shot :chuckle: ), that was after 8hr flight in from the UK, no practice, no warm up at all. Admittedly the table played easier than a tournament table but I wouldn't call them bucket pockets.

If Sight Right fixes Hendrys confidence/yips issue and he starts enjoying the game again look out. :mosh2:

Big ask at this point but it would be great to see a resurgent Hendry, best of luck to him. <ok>

Right on.