Topic locked

2010/11 Ladies Masters and UK Championship

Postby Monique

Here is Tim Dunkley's press release I just recieved:

World Ladies Billiards & Snooker Association press release

THE women’s snooker season kicks off next weekend with the traditional double-header at the North East Derbyshire Snooker Centre, Clay Cross.

On Saturday, it’s the £1,400 Wytech Masters. And on Sunday it’s the Paul Wood UK Championship, the first of six ranking events on the 2010/11 World Ladies Billiards & Snooker Association circuit.

Reanne Evans, the six-time women’s world champion, WILL play in both events.

As a professional, Evans, the only woman on World Snooker’s Main Tour, will concede an 18-point start in each frame of the Masters.

The 24-year-old, who is on a 61-match unbeaten run on the WLBSA circuit, won both the Masters and UK titles last year. She will play in as many of this season’s events as she can.

Mark Jones and Paul Stanynought, joint owners of Midlands-based IT company Wytech, are sponsoring the Masters for the fourth year running.

Mr Jones said: “Paul and I, along with our secondary sponsors Capital City Solutions and the Q Room in Derby, are proud to be sponsoring the Wytech Masters.

“This is the fourth consecutive year of our involvement and we are proud of the event that we put on each year.

“I hope the ladies have a great time in the opening event of the season and put on some great personal performances. The day is about fun, meeting and making friends, oh, and of course snooker.”

Matches will be best of three frames in the early rounds and best of five from the quarter-finals onwards. There will be a plate competition for first and second-round losers.

Selected matches will be streamed via Ustream. More information will be found on the WLBSA and Wytech websites.

The Paul Wood UK Championship carries prize money of £900.

All matches will be best of five frames. A plate, a junior event and a handicapped seniors’ competition will be played if time permits.

A new WLBSA website (http://www.worldladiessnooker.co.uk), which has been built by Austrian billiards star Karin Wannemacher, with be unveiled at the start of the Masters.

The WLBSA is hosting six ranking events this season culminating in the World Championships in April.

WYTECH MASTERS SPONSORS

Primary sponsor: Wytech Ltd (http://www.wytech.co.uk)
Secondary sponsor: Capital City Solutions (http://www.ccsmaintenance.co.uk)
High-break sponsor: Q Room Derby (http://www.theqroom.co.uk)

2010 Wytech Ladies Masters Championship
9.30am Saturday, September 25
North East Derbyshire Snooker Centre
Derby Road
Clay Cross
S45 9AG
Tel: 01246 866364

2010 Paul Wood UK Championship

Ranking event
10am Sunday, September 26
Derby Road
Clay Cross
S45 9AG
Tel: 01246 866364

WLBSA PROVISIONAL SNOOKER RANKINGS 2010/11

Pos
Name
Town
Pts
Sponsor
Reanne Evans
Dudley, West Mids

Maria Catalano
Dudley, West Mids

Emma Bonney
Portsmouth

Katie Henrick
Bickley, Kent
180poker.com
Suzie Opacic
Brambridge, Hants
Kara Accountants
Eva Palmius
Isleham, Cambs

Hannah Jones
Derby
Wytech + The Q Room
Marianne Williams
Smallfield, Surrey

Jenny Poulter
Maidstone

Vicky Ashby
Hemel Hempstead

Natascha Niermann
Cambridge

Chris Sharpe
Chelmsford

Jodie Symes
Swindon

Gaye Jones
Melksham, Wilts

Martina Lumsden
Eastbourne

Naomi Clare
Ripley, Derbys

Tina Owen-Sevilton
Taunton

Jasmine Bolsover
Woking

Pam Wood
Newcastle

June Banks
Orpington, Kent

Maureen Rowland
Wallsend, Tyne & Wear
Fine Arch Cues
Joanne Davies
Derby
Wytech
Jan Hughes
St Neots, Cambs

Laura Alves
Dublin

Mary Hawkes
Eaton Bray, Beds

Clare Heseldine
Broadstairs, Kent

Stacey Hancock
Burgess Hill

Georgina Holloway
Derby

Supanni Yam-Oum
Canterbury

Charlotte Holloway
Derby

Rita Holmes
Minehead

Wytech Masters entries:

Reanne Evans
Maria Catalano
Emma Bonney
Chris Sharpe
Hannah Jones
Eva Palmius
Joanne Davies
Jan Hughes
Jasmine Bolsover
Natascha Niermann
Naomi Clare
Maureen Rowland
Gaye Jones
Marianne Williams
Vicky Ashby
Jenny Poulter
Laura Alves
So Man Yan (Hong Kong)
Deb Burchell
Tina Owen-Sevilton

UK Championship entries:

Reanne Evans
Maria Catalano
Emma Bonney
Chris Sharpe
Hannah Jones
Eva Palmius
Naomi Clare
Maureen Rowland
Gaye Jones
Marianne Williams
Vicky Ashby
Jenny Poulter
Laura Alves
Natascha Niermann
Jan Hughes
Jasmine Bolsover
So Man Yan (Hong Kong)
Joanne Davies
Tina Owen-Sevilton

Next snooker ranking event:

2010 East Anglian Championship

Saturday, October 30
Cambridge Snooker Centre
Coldhams Road
Cambridge
CB1 3EW

More details and pictures of most of the ladies available from:

Tim Dunkley (WLBSA press office)
88 Lionheart Way
Bursledon Green
Southampton
SO31 8HN
Tel home: 02380 562647
Tel work: 01329 853513
Mobile: 07986 376114
E-Mail: timdunkleysnookerdad@hotmail.com

I will be there to take pictures and if possible give updates on the scores.

Re: 2010/11 Ladies Masters and UK Championship

Postby Rocket_ron

2010 Wytech Ladies Masters Championship
9.30am Saturday, September 25
Derby Road
Clay Cross
S45 9AG

guys thats my nearest snooker club, its where nigel bond plays. Its quite a nice place
clay cross is a dive tho but they are trying to smarten it up new roads and a new tesco extra store
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clay_Cross

Postby Monique

A quick update here
No internet access alas so no live updates.
I will publish the detailed results later.
It was a very enjoyable tournament yesterday, with some good snooker played in good spirit.
Reanne Evans won the Wytech Masters, beating Maria Catalano 3-1 in the final. It was however much, much closer than the score suggests, 2 of the frames Reanne took were decided on the pink and black.
Maria got the HB of the tournament with 56.
Hannah Jones reached the semi finals where she got beaten by Reanne but not without putting on a good fight. She got Reanne in all sort of troubles with some excellent safeties.
Maria's run to the final wasn't easy neither as So Man Yan from Hong Kong made her work very hard in the semi. Again the 3-0 score is a bit misleading.
Jenny Poulter won the plate competition.
Details and pictures after the week-end.

Postby Monique

Wytech Masters Results

Ladies Wytech Masters 2010

Round 1

Marianne Williams 0-2 Natascha Niermann
Jasmine Bolsover 1-2 Gaye Jone
Jan Hughes 2-0 Deb Burchell
Laura Alves 0-2 Hannah Jones
So Man Yan 2-0 Maureen Rowland
Jenny Poulter 1-2 Tina Owen-Sevilton
Joanne Davies 0-2 Chris Sharpe
Vicky Ashby 2-1 Naomi Clare

Round 2

Natascha Niermann 2-0 Gaye Jones
Jan Hughes 1-2 Hannah Jones
So Man Yan 2-1 Tina Owen-Sevilton
Chris Sharpe 2-1 Vicky Ashby

Quarters

Reanne Evans (49) 3-0 Natascha Niermann
Eva Palmius 1-3 Hannah Jones
Emma Bonney 1-3 So Man Yan
Maria Catalano (56, 35, 55) 3-1 Chris Sharpe

Semis

Reanne Evans (51) 3-0 Hannah Jones (39)
Maria Catalano 3-0 So Man Yan

Final

Reanne Evans 3-1 Maria Catalano (40, 48 )

Ladies Wytech Masters 2010 – Plate Competition

Round 1

Jasmine Bolsover 2-1 Laura Alves
Joanne Davies 2-1 Naomi Clare
Maureen Rowland 0-2 Deb Burchell
Jenny Poulter 2-1Marianne Williams

Quarters

Vicky Ashby 2-0 Jasmine Bolsover
Joanne Davies 0-2 Tina Owen-Sevilton
Gaye Jones 2-0 Deb Burchell
Jenny Poulter 2-0 Jan Hughes

Semis

Vicky Ashby 0-2 Tina Owen-Sevilton
Gaye Jones 1-2 Jenny Poulter

Final

Jenny Poulter 2-1 Tina Owen-Sevilton

HB Maria Catalano 56

Ladies UK Championship 2010 results

Ladies UK Championship 2010 main event

preliminary round

Hannah Jones 0-3 Jasmine Bolsover
Gaye Jones 1-3 Vicky Ashby
So Man Yan 3-0 Naomi Clare
Maureen Rowland 0-3 Jan Hughes

Round 1

Hannah Jones 1-3 Reanne Evans
Jonanne Davies 3-1 Laura Alves
Tina Owen-Sevilton 3-0 Chris Sharpe
Vicky Ashby 2-3 Eva Palmius
So Man Yan 1-3 Emma Bonney
Marianne Williams 0-3 Natascha Niermann
Pam Wood 0-3 Jenny Poulter
Jan Hughes 0-3 Maria Catalano

Quarters

Joanne Davies 0-3 Reanne Evans
Tina Owen-Sevilton 3-0 Eva Palmius
Natascha Niermann 0-3 Emma Bonney
Jenny Poulter 0-3 Maria Catalano (86)

Semis

Reanne Evans (31,33) 3-0 Tina Owen-Sevilton
Maria Catalano 3-0 Emma Bonney (33)

Final

Maria Catalano 0-3 Reanne Evans (42,65)

Ladies UK Championship 2010 plate competition

Last 16

Jasmine Bolsover 2-0 Naomi Clare
Pam Wood 1-2 Marianne Williams
Maureen Rowland 0-2 Gaye Jones

Quarters

Gaye Jones 2-0 Laura Alves
Hannah Jones 2-0 Jan Hughes
Jasmine Bolsover 1-2 Marianne Williams
So Man Yan 1-2 Vicky Ashby

Semis

Marianne Williams (34) 2-0 Gaye Jones
Hannah Jones 2-0 Vicky Ashby

Final

Hannah Jones 2-0 Marianne Williams

Ladies UK Championship 2010 senior event

Quarter

Pam Wood 1-0 Jan Hughes

Semis

Jenny Poulter 1-0 Laura Alves
Pam Wood 1-0 Maureen Rowland

Final

Jenny Poulter 1-0 Pam Wood

HB Maria Catalano 86

So congratulation to Reanne Evans Masters and UK Champion.
Well done to Maria Catalano, runner-up in both events (and she ran very close in the Masters!), winner of the HB in both events.

And a special mention to a much improved Hannah Jones, reaching the semis in the Masters and, after having (unfortunately) been drawn against Reanne in the first round of the UK, went on to win the plate!

Pictures coming soon. :-D

Postby JohnFromLondonTown

Nice to read the scores Mon, Thanks.

Has there been any adverse reaction from the other lady players with regard to Reanne Evans entering these comps as the Lady has a Tour card on the Men's tour? Don't get me wrong, I can understand that if Reanne Evans does not enter some might say it under values the winners achivement. Your thoughts?

Postby Monique

No adverse reaction at all. The ladies are a friendly bunch and somehow collectively proud of Reanne's achievements. She was most welcome.
I have a feeling Hannah could overcome her in a couple of seasons.
Maria is IMO potentially better than Reanne but she's a female version of Ronnie when it comes to temperament, getting emotional and frustrated with herself.

Postby Monique

http://www.insidepoolmag.com/201009/bil ... sters.html
Evans defeats Catalano in finals
Reanne Evans, the six-time women’s world snooker champion, continued her dominance of the £1,400 Wytech Masters with a 3-1 victory over Maria Catalano in this year’s final September 25.
The queen of the women’s circuit has now won all four non-ranking Masters tournaments, which are traditionally held on the eve of the new World Ladies’ Billiards and Snooker Association’s season.
In a repeat of the 2009 final, the two top seeds, both from Dudley, West Midlands, made it safely through a 20-strong field at the North East Derbyshire Snooker Centre, Clay Cross.

Evans, the six-time women’s world snooker champion and pictured with Paul Wood, continued her dominance of the £1,400 Wytech Masters with a 3-1 victory over Maria Catalano in this year’s final September 25.

Maria Catalano, ranked second on the WLBSA circuit, took the first frame. Evans easily won a scrappy second and clinched the last two on the final colors. Evans said, “Maria played really well, first frame. I didn’t pot a ball.”
Catalano, 28, said, “I feel like I should have won it. Reanne nicked it off me really. I played all right. I only started practicing on Tuesday. I had a few problems with my cue. I thought I was going to get pumped first round. I was just happy to get to the final. That was a bonus for me.”
Evans, the only woman on the professional circuit, admitted she struggled to adapt to life back on club tables.
“It’s a bit different to what I’ve been used to the last few months,” said the 24-year-old. “You’re in a booth on your own instead of in a wide open club and the tables are better, tighter and faster.”
Still searching for a first win since receiving a wild card onto the Main Tour, Evans added, “There are no easy matches. You have to keep one hundred percent concentration and try your hardest. [A win] would give me that bit of extra confidence.”
Catalano, who pocketed the £100 high-break prize for a run of 56, led the praise for the popular tournament.
“It was fantastic” she said. “The set-up was phenomenal. It’s one of the best tournaments. Mark [Jones] and his team do a great job.”
Evans’ victory in the 2010 Paul Wood UK Championship September 26 extended her remarkable unbeaten run on the women’s snooker circuit to 68 matches.
In a repeat of last season’s scoreline, Evans overcame world number two Maria Catalano 3-0 in the final at the North East Derbyshire Snooker Centre, Clay Cross.
It was her sixth straight UK crown and her 24th ranking title on the World Ladies Billiards and Snooker Association circuit.
Evans, the six-time women’s world champion from Dudley, West Midlands, posted a 42 break in the second frame and a 65 in the third.

Evans Wytech Masters champ with Mark Jones.
“I played solid,” she said. “I didn’t really give her much ammunition. She didn’t really get a chance in the balls.”
And Evans hopes the win, coupled with the previous day’s Wytech Masters title, will kick-start her bid to remain on the professional circuit.
“Hopefully, it’ll give me that bit of confidence,” she said. “Now that I’ve reminded myself how to win, I’ll take it onto the men’s tour.”
Since the start of last season, Evans and Catalano have met in seven WLBSA finals. Evans has won then all.
But Ronnie O’Sullivan reckons his cousin will eventually dethrone Evans as the undisputed queen of the green baize.
Speaking earlier this month, O’Sullivan said, “[Maria’s] a very, very good player. She just can’t seem to get the victories. She keeps getting to the finals. Reanne is a very good player so it’s no disgrace getting beat by Reanne.
“I’m sure, knowing Maria’s determination, it’s not good enough getting to the final—she wants to win these events. I’m sure it will happen for her one day soon and she’ll be the number-one player in the world.”
And “The Rocket” added that he’d be delighted if Catalano became the second member of their family to be crowned world champion. “I’d be so happy for her if she was to do that,” he said. “She’s well capable of doing it.”
Catalano’s run of 86 in her quarterfinal tie against Jenny Poulter earned her the high break prize of £50.
The WLBSA is hosting six ranking events this season culminating in the World Championships in April.

Postby markj147

Thanks Monique for coming across to take the pictures over the weekend. Very much appreciated. The Masters event went very well. Excellent event, excellent participants and a great support team to make the event run smooth.

Well done Reanne on the win and Maria for getting to another final and playing some of the most fluent snooker over the weekend. :)

Postby markj147

I will say that I thought Reanne struggled this weekend to cope with the tables and the way they played compared to the tables that she is now used to playing on.

She seems to have developed a more canny game and her stint as a professional is also showing in her shot selection. She bides her time more and looks for the better opening before committing herself, whereas in previous seasons she may have pushed the boat out on certain shots because she knew she was going to get more chances and she also knew she was capable of getting them.

Maria was so fluent until she entered a scrappy game and it seemed to distract her and kill her rythym which frustrated her. Reanne coped alot better with the scrappy frames and killed them off when she had the right chance.

Postby Wildey

it was a surprise Maria Catalano did not get a spot in the World Open having family connections with Ronnie that would have been a story.

and not only that but id say she is undoubtedly the World no 2 woman at the moment.

Postby markj147

wildJONESEYE wrote:it was a surprise Maria Catalano did not get a spot in the World Open having family connections with Ronnie that would have been a story.

and not only that but id say she is undoubtedly the World no 2 woman at the moment.

She did get offered a spot but couldn't make the event Wild.