Topic locked

So now the dust has settled?

Postby SnookerFan

What do we think of the World Open as a format? Some of us were really looking forward to it. Others weren't as much. Has it lived up to expectations for those of us who were excited? Or has it converted any non-believers?

Personally, I didn't think it was quite as bad as perhaps I thought it would be. There weren't many 'matches' that were three centuries and over in 40 minutes. (Though, I must confess, I wish some of Peter Ebdon's were over quicker.)

I did find my interesting waning about Thursday and Friday, but it came back for the weekend. I don't know if that was just a having been watching all week lull.

Personally, I think part of it was overkill. Once a match was getting interesting, it ended. The biggest comeback you could make was from 2-0 and it rarely happened. It was good to see the players, but after a few days you felt you saw too much of them and nothing really lasted. We spent more time hearing and talking about Ronnie's 147 then anything else.

On saying that, I didn't think it was a disaster, and was quite entertaining. If it was on somewhere near where I lived, I'd go and watch it. Though don't think it's worth travelling for. Still don't think it's a ranking event type, but it works for me as a once-a-year event.

What do other people think?

Re: So now the dust has settled?

Postby Casey

7/10

The crowds for the first half where really bad, even though they tried to hide it with black covers over the seats. They did start to pick up towards the end, maybe the event could be played over 5 or 6 days instead?

It was great to see the best players perform under pressure and it shows that with one table, money and ranking points on offer the cream rises to the top. If this format is kept I expect to see similar results in the years to come.

Changes - I would seed all the top 16 players so they can't meet in the last 64.

Postby Wildey

as a spectacle almost a exhibition event it worked however the essence of Snooker was Missing but enjoyable all the same.

it was almost as if you didn't really care who won because it was only 5 frames so what does that say about Form.

i did not care if Hendry won or lost against Mark Davis or Ronnie im just pleased he won his first match and im sure supporters of other players thought the same.

it was not a true test of a player ability or bottle but what it does say Neil Robertson has won the Longest and Shortest World Ranking Format in 5 months now that's versatility.

Postby SnookerFan

wildJONESEYE wrote:as a spectacle almost a exhibition event it worked however the essence of Snooker was Missing but enjoyable all the same.

it was almost as if you didn't really care who won because it was only 5 frames so what does that say about Form.

i did not care if Hendry won or lost against Mark Davis or Ronnie im just pleased he won his first match and im sure supporters of other players thought the same.

it was not a true test of a player ability or bottle but what it does say Neil Robertson has won the Longest and Shortest World Ranking Format in 5 months now that's versatility.

Just proves, if you keep winning frames, the format is unimportant....

But yes, I agree. As a non-ranking exhibition event this would be excellent. I find it a shame that we can't have this AND the Grand Prix. But you're right, I don't think I'd have cared so much if somebody I didn't like won. And the final was only bo9, a few hours, so it's not like having to watch two days of the WC with somebody you don't like.

Postby randam05

6/10 - pretty good crowds, liked the arena and setting and atmosphere, alright standards, roll on roll off matches is good, one table set up liked and best 0f 5 leading to final is good for the one tournaments, but like SF said I would like this as a non ranker also with grand prix.

Bad points - Too short a final, no excitement/tension, no good comebacks or fights, matches to short in general for a ranker, too much prize money for what it is and now they want the WC shorter!

Postby Wildey

Roll on Roll off element was great and i do think they could do that with the UK Championship starting earlier say 10am so we do not need 4 tables with 2 matches in qualifying cubicles.

Roll on Roll off with 2 Tables surely that's possible to work out.

Postby Bourne

9/10, this tournament was great it was very much needed on the tour I struggle to find too many faults at all, maybe the final could have been more of a 'spectacle' but I didn't really care to be honest, the biggest gripe I had was the way the last 64 overlapped that needs to be looked at but other than that, great stuff. :ahh:

Postby Alex0paul

6/10

The matches weren't quite long enough to get into and there were probably too many matches which made the tournament drag, especially the last 32. But at the end of the day its snooker so its all good.

Postby randam05

Alex0paul WC wrote:6/10

The matches weren't quite long enough to get into and there were probably too many matches which made the tournament drag, especially the last 32. But at the end of the day its snooker so its all good.

yes its still snooker so im not gonna moan :wave:

and yes too short matches but nevermind

Postby Wildey

Alex0paul WC wrote:6/10

2 many matches ????????????????????????????????????????????????

im beginning to think if people actually want more snooker or they rather have none.

Postby Tubberlad

8, best tournament in a long time. My biggest gripe is that it's got people suggesting a shorter World Championship.

Postby mex10092

9,5/10

More this, great great stuff. Of course that´s just my opinion. Semi-final lineup was full of snooker skill; O´Sullivan, Williams, Robertson, Ebdon. I love it that way. And Jimmy White said he felt better that he has for a long time. No suprise.

Perhaps this could work even in America :D

Postby Wildey

it was a fun little tournament and im pleased that the cream rose to the top because it could have so easily been jo bloggs vs sausage head in the final but it was not even close to the best tournament ive seen in the last 2 weeks never mind for a long time.

it had a Great semi line up and i felt short changed and frustrated they were over so fast.

this is not the way forward its just knee JERK Reaction to a novelty event similar to shot clock 5 years ago thats wore off now and got boring the same might happen to this thing.

Snooker is better than this surely to hell people can see that.

Postby SnookerFan

wildJONESEYE wrote:Snooker is better than this surely to hell people can see that.

Does Barry Hearn? That's the issue. Personally, I am wondering how many more of these tournaments we will get. I get the impression Mr. Hearn was a fan of this format. He's under the impression that shorter matches are more exciting.

I had nothing against this tournament. But apart from Neil's performance in the final, and Ronnie's bitching his way throw a 147 nothing much will linger in the memory. It was too short, and the days were overloaded. I'd have preferred it to be a bit longer, and over two weeks. But that'd be against the Fast Furious Snooker ethos. It'd bee even better if we still had The Grand Prix and this tournament.

I can stomach this tournament once a year. For what it was, it was quite entertaining. But I don't think we need to overload the calendar with this sort of event.

Postby kriss

I think Steve Davis summed the format up perfectly... its like playing a best of 19 with the scores remaining tied after 14 frames. The top players should in theory rise to the occasion and see the match out.

I liked the format but I love snooker and want to see as much of it as possible. I therefore naturally prefer longer matches but I have to say for the first time ever Ive considered the notion that the World Championship matches may be a shade too long.

We have see a lot of finals in recent years turn really gritty with players struggling to cross the line. Perhaps a shorter final would prevent this.

Postby Caledonian Craig

First post here.

I thought the format worked well and is good as a one-off but will always prefer the longer match tournaments such as the UK and World Championships.

Postby GJ

Craig

post a thread on new member section so everyone will know your new here