Post a reply

Re: Ronnie: Maguire can dominate for the next decade

Postby SnookerEd25

Alex0paul wrote:Maguire would’ve won the World Title in 2005 if he’d had closed out his opening round 10-7

Possibly. I'm not convinced he would have had the temperament and nous to overcome Ebdon in a BO25 QF. You had to scrape Ebdon off the table in those days.

Postby csprince

SnookerFan wrote:
KrazeeEyezKilla wrote:Maguire might have won a World Championship but he doesn't have the drive to dominate.

He doesn't even have the drive to put a bow-tie on.

rofl

Postby Acé

Iranu wrote:
Acé wrote:Is Maguire a world champion, world number 1, ever dominated the game in the same fashion as Judd, ever won 6 ranking events in a season, ever wiped out legends and produced peak level snooker as Judd, ever made his opponents shake with fear as Judd does these days, ever had an aura?

No

The point is more that Ronnie’s predictions are bull, than an indictment of Judd.

Wrong. Judd has actual credentials to back up Ronnie's claims, unlike Maguire

Judd is the overwhelming WN1, World Champion, 17 ranking titles and counting, dominated this season etc

Maguire has no credentials of that status

Postby SnookerFan

Iranu wrote:
Acé wrote:Is Maguire a world champion, world number 1, ever dominated the game in the same fashion as Judd, ever won 6 ranking events in a season, ever wiped out legends and produced peak level snooker as Judd, ever made his opponents shake with fear as Judd does these days, ever had an aura?

No

The point is more that Ronnie’s predictions are bull, than an indictment of Judd.

To be fair, with Ronnie you could name any player and he'd say they could dominate the game.

I'm surprised he's never said Joe Davis could dominate for the next ten years.

Postby SnookerFan

Acé wrote:Wrong. Judd has actual credentials to back up Ronnie's claims, unlike Maguire

Judd is the overwhelming WN1, World Champion, 17 ranking titles and counting, dominated this season etc

Isn't that pretty much exactly what Iranu said?

He said that what we were discussing was that Ronnie's predictions were bull, and that was no indictment of Judd.

You then said he was wrong, by pointing out that Ronnie's prediction about Maguire was bull, and this had very little to do with Judd.

What part of what he said did you think was wrong?

Postby Iranu

Acé wrote:
Iranu wrote:

No

Wrong. Judd has actual credentials to back up Ronnie's claims, unlike Maguire

Postby snooker_loopy

Imho when he's in the 'zone' Judd Trump is the best player since Ronnie. I think he lacks the super hard concentration that Ronnie, Steve Davis and Stephen Hendry had, Trump used to zone out a bit, but when he is on form I'd rate him the best player since Ronnie. I think he is more naturally talented than Williams and John Higgins. Higgins had no chance against Trump in last year's WC final. Totally outplayed.

Maguire has a terrible temperament. He seems a nice bloke when interviewed but he gets too rattled when playing badly and I'm sure that has been one of the main reasons he's not won as much. The other reason might be he's just not consistently good enough! Well I guess so. There are some amazing players (Barry Hawkins comes to mind - he had the ability to win the WC) but they the suffer from the dreaded inconsistency flaw.