Post a reply

Ronnie: Maguire can dominate for the next decade

Postby Pink Ball

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/other_s ... 009747.stm

Great piece this:

Key points:

1. Ronnie thinks Maguire can dominate for the next decade.
2. Ronnie says Maguire is probably the best player in the world at the moment.
3. Ronnie says he'd "never seen anything like that on a snooker table before".
4. "Stephen Hendry and John Higgins are the best players I've seen but Stephen seems to have a little bit more." High praise for the Scottish youngster

Shaun Murphy is nowhere close and they've played zero important matches
Last edited by Pink Ball on 19 Apr 2020, edited 1 time in total.

Re: Ronnie: Maguire can dominate for the next decade

Postby Pink Ball

TheRocket wrote:2007 was his biggest chance when he blew a 14:10 lead in the semis against Higgins.

If Maguire beats O’Sullivan in 2005, he’d have probably been World Champion that year. And 2007. After that, who knows?

Most pivotal frame of a player’s career since Higgins cleared up on Jimmy in ‘82.

Postby TheRocket

Pink Ball wrote:
TheRocket wrote:2007 was his biggest chance when he blew a 14:10 lead in the semis against Higgins.

If Maguire beats O’Sullivan in 2005, he’d have probably been World Champion that year. And 2007. After that, who knows?

Most pivotal frame of a player’s career since Higgins cleared up on Jimmy in ‘82.

you could be right but it was just the first round and still a long way to go had he beaten O'Sullivan. Ebdon waiting in the quarters who did frustrate him a few times when they played. And we know about Maguires temperament. Murphy in the semis not that easy either.

Higgins win over Jimmy on the other hand was in the semis and in the final a past his prime Reardon was waiting for him.

Postby Pink Ball

TheRocket wrote:
Pink Ball wrote:

you could be right but it was just the first round and still a long way to go had he beaten O'Sullivan. Ebdon waiting in the quarters who did frustrate him a few times when they played. And we know about Maguires temperament. Murphy in the semis not that easy either.

Higgins win over Jimmy on the other hand was in the semis and in the final a past his prime Reardon was waiting for him.

Ok boomer

Postby PLtheRef

Alex0paul wrote:Maguire would’ve won the World Title in 2005 if he’d had closed out his opening round 10-7

Given how the rest of the draw seemed to open up there was certainly a chance he could have gone on and won the match no doubt. It would have been interesting to see him come up against Ebdon in the quarter-finals. Maguire was certainly a great player given his 2004 particularly during the UK Championship where he won every match (bar his one with Ronnie) by at least five frames or more.

2007 was a great chance arguably his best chance but with the scars beginning to emerge and the pressure of one of the best deficit chasers coming after you, I think there was a sense that Higgins would prevail as the gap got closer.

Postby D4P

Pink Ball wrote:
Alex0paul wrote:Maguire would’ve won the World Title in 2005 if he’d had closed out his opening round 10-7

I happen to agree with you. If ever a career turned on a single frame, that was the one.

And Ronnie would have won if he hadn't had to put up with Peter Ebdon doing stuff like taking 5 minutes to make a 12 break.

Postby Juddernaut88

I actually think Hendry also had a chance in 2005 if he didn't face Ronnie. Hendry was 11-9 up in quarter finals against Stevens and missed a chance to go 12-9 up. Ended up losing 13-11. Question is though would Hendry have beaten Murphy in the final? Or won in the semi finals? Hendry had the tendency in the 2000s to have a few good performances and then lose against players you'd least expect in crucial matches.

Postby TheRocket

I think Hendry would have beaten McCulloch in the semis but lost to Murphy in the final. Murphy was extremely confident that year and not afraid of anyone. Similar to Trump in 2011. He even destroyed Higgins. And Hendry with the way he plays would have suited Murphy.

I think Ronnie and Maguire were the only two players who could have beaten Murphy that year but Murphy avoided both of them.

Postby PLtheRef

Juddernaut88 wrote:I actually think Hendry also had a chance in 2005 if he didn't face Ronnie. Hendry was 11-9 up in quarter finals against Stevens and missed a chance to go 12-9 up. Ended up losing 13-11. Question is though would Hendry have beaten Murphy in the final? Or won in the semi finals? Hendry had the tendency in the 2000s to have a few good performances and then lose against players you'd least expect in crucial matches.

Hendry, was always a fierce critic of himself. He was unhappy in his press conference with how he had played in his First Round match (a 10-7 win over Neil Robertson) and his Second Round match (a 13-3 win over Anthony Hamilton).

Had he beaten Stevens, an eighth world title was a serious possibility. I certainly think he'd have beaten McCulloch over 33 frames (he'd beaten him 13-3 the year before.) Assuming he played Murphy in a Best of 35 Frame Final, I think even with the Englishman's exploits the Scot would have won, 18-12 ish?

Postby Alex0paul

Now shoulda woulda coulda, means I'm out of time
'Cause shoulda woulda coulda, can't change your mind
And I wonder, wonder, wonder what I'm gonna do
Shoulda woulda coulda are the last words of a fool

Postby vodkadiet1

Alex0paul wrote:Now shoulda woulda coulda, means I'm out of time
'Cause shoulda woulda coulda, can't change your mind
And I wonder, wonder, wonder what I'm gonna do
Shoulda woulda coulda are the last words of a fool

rofl rofl rofl rofl

Postby Acé

Is Maguire a world champion, world number 1, ever dominated the game in the same fashion as Judd, ever won 6 ranking events in a season, ever wiped out legends and produced peak level snooker as Judd, ever made his opponents shake with fear as Judd does these days, ever had an aura?

No

Postby Acé

Pink Ball wrote:
Acé wrote:Maguire is Maguire and Judd Trump is Judd Trump

You a journalist?

You love me don't you?

Admit it my man, you'd love to have a beer with me, you know I'd be a right laugh on a night out man

Postby Pink Ball

Acé wrote:
Pink Ball wrote:

You a journalist?

You love me don't you?

Admit it my man, you'd love to have a beer with me, you know I'd be a right laugh on a night out man

I don't drink. And I wouldn't feel safe.

Postby Iranu

Acé wrote:Is Maguire a world champion, world number 1, ever dominated the game in the same fashion as Judd, ever won 6 ranking events in a season, ever wiped out legends and produced peak level snooker as Judd, ever made his opponents shake with fear as Judd does these days, ever had an aura?

No

The point is more that Ronnie’s predictions are bull, than an indictment of Judd.

Postby Andre147

2007 was by far his best chance. The rest of the years he still had a long way to go, not to mention the only other time he reached a semi was in 2012, and even if he'd won that ROS would have beaten him in the final.

However, 2007 was different and I very much doubt Selby would have beaten him back then.

Postby SnookerFan

Pink Ball wrote:

You a journalist?

A lot of journalists don't have anywhere near that level of expertise.

I mean, he might not get a job at Snooker Scene, but I'm just the BBC would snap him up as a correspondent.