Post a reply

Ronnie: Trump can dominate for the next decade

Postby Acé

https://www.eurosport.co.uk/snooker/sno ... tory.shtml

Great interview this:

Key points:

1. Ronnie thinks Judd can dominate for the next decade, in a Hendry like fashion and comparing Judd to Hendry when Hendry was coming to the scene
2. Ronnie says if he and Judd played 5 times, Ronnie would only win 1
3. Judd will easily win multiple world titles
4. Doesn't compare himself to Judd's rival due to different eras and 14 years difference, which is fair I guess but then who are Judd's rivals?

Kyren is nowhere close and they've played zero important matches

Re: Ronnie: Trump can dominate for the next decade

Postby The Ace

Good interview, I can't disagree with anything Ronnie said there. I'd say that Judd's biggest rival is Robertson, even though he is 8 years older. I've never understood why this forced Wilson rivalry is even a thing.

Postby SnookerEd25

Well, if he could get his act together I would say Jack Lisowski, potentially; he has the ability, just needs a really top coach to harness it and, at the moment, i’m dubious he’ll ever come close to fulfilling that potential, which would be a great shame.

Postby Iranu

SnookerEd25 wrote:Well, if he could get his act together I would say Jack Lisowski, potentially; he has the ability, just needs a really top coach to harness it and, at the moment, i’m dubious he’ll ever come close to fulfilling that potential, which would be a great shame.

I think Luca’s more likely than Lisowski.

And I don’t think Luca’s all that likely.

Ding’s the one who should be, based on his class and his age. Jury’s still out though.

Postby TheRocket

When Ronnie praises someone to the skies you know he genuinely believes the other guy is a great player. There are maybe 3 or 4 players he genuinely respects and Trump is one of them.

Ding should be Judds main rival but he's too inconsistent. So is Mark Allen. Wilson is not good enough. Lisowski just the eternal talent.

Its probably someone like Robertson who can make it tough for Trump for the next few years. He is still "young" enough to compete on a very high level and they have had many classic encounters. Normally I would say Selby as well but his record against Judd is very poor.

Postby Acé

TheRocket wrote:When Ronnie praises someone to the skies you know he genuinely believes the other guy is a great player. There are maybe 3 or 4 players he genuinely respects and Trump is one of them.

Ding should be Judds main rival but he's too inconsistent. So is Mark Allen. Wilson is not good enough. Lisowski just the eternal talent.

Its probably someone like Robertson who can make it tough for Trump for the next few years. He is still "young" enough to compete on a very high level and they have had many classic encounters. Normally I would say Selby as well but his record against Judd is very poor.

It'd be interesting if Robertson considers Judd a rival cuz well Robertson is from Selby's generation.

We have the Co92, followed by the generation of Selby/Robertson/Murphy, then Judd/Ding

what worries me is that we haven't seen a Judd 2011 esque player stepping up. Weirdly

Postby Iranu

It’s easy to forget Luca’s only 25, he’s been around so long.

I don’t think Allen’s good enough to become a rival for Judd even if he was more consistent. Every part of his game is 2nd-tier apart from cueball control.

Wilson’s not good enough either although he could potentially become the Selby to Judd’s Ronnie (I’m not convinced though).

Postby Iranu

Acé wrote:the last breakthrough player we had was 2011 Judd and we're getting close to a decade where some form of a young player storming in the snooker scene hasn't come up yet

Depends what you consider a breakthrough, I suppose. I’d say Yan Bingtao broke through this season but obviously not to the extent of Judd in 2011.

Postby TheRocket

Imo Robbo can consider Judd a rival. As long as the older player is still in good shape which is the case with Robertson its a rivalry.

Ronnie and Selby have been considered rivals despite a 7,5 year age gap. But at some stage obviously the age factor really kicks in and the older player starts to decline. Thats the moment when the rivalry comes to an end and its getting too one sided. Thats why the younger player will always have a leading H2H once everything is over.

Federer vs Djokovic in Tennis is a prime example. Great rivalry but too one sided over the last 5-6 years.

Postby D4P

Iranu wrote:I’d say Yan Bingtao broke through this season but obviously not to the extent of Judd in 2011.

I was going to mention him, too. He's a 20-year old ranking event winner currently ranked #16 in the world. I think Judd was 21 when he won his first ranker...

Postby Acé

Iranu wrote:
Acé wrote:the last breakthrough player we had was 2011 Judd and we're getting close to a decade where some form of a young player storming in the snooker scene hasn't come up yet

Depends what you consider a breakthrough, I suppose. I’d say Yan Bingtao broke through this season but obviously not to the extent of Judd in 2011.

Shaking up the snooker scene, there was immense hype about Judd in 2011 because of the way he played and how he reached the final, it was like a breath of fresh air to the point people were saying he's going to take over Ronnie.

Yan Bingtao hasn't reached those heights nor hype

Postby TheRocket

Bingtao imo lacks that special ability which you tend to see in younger players who end up being an All-Time great.

He's a hard worker and very matured player for his young age but Trumps peak level is much superior and I don't think Bingtao can ever match that.

Postby D4P

TheRocket wrote:Bingtao imo lacks that special ability which you tend to see in younger players who end up being an All-Time great.

He's a hard worker and very matured player for his young age but Trumps peak level is much superior and I don't think Bingtao can ever match that.

You can substitute "Kyren" for "Bingtao" and it still works pretty well.

Postby TheRocket

D4P wrote:
TheRocket wrote:Bingtao imo lacks that special ability which you tend to see in younger players who end up being an All-Time great.

You can substitute "Kyren" for "Bingtao" and it still works pretty well.

well yeah. And thats probably a fair reflection. Bingtao is more comparable to players like Kyren Wilson and not with the very best. Or even Ding.

Dings breakbuilding as a teenager was on a completely different level than Bingtaos is.

Bingtao is a hard worker, loves the game, will win a few titles here and there and probably become a established Top16 player.

Postby Juddernaut88

Kyren is the one player Judd hasn't got a great record against certainly in the last 3 years anyway. Kyren however seems to crumble in semi finals and finals but he's still only 28.

Postby TheRocket

Juddernaut88 wrote:Kyren is the one player Judd hasn't got a great record against certainly in the last 3 years anyway. Kyren however seems to crumble in semi finals and finals but he's still only 28.

Wilsons problem is probably his A-game. If the other topplayer plays anwhere to his best level he is not capable of matching them.

He isnt capable of making big break after big break (poor positional play) and he doesnt have a strong tactical game to stop the other guy from playing well.

Its interesting that he has a good H2H against Trump but I think thats because of the "needle". It gets under Trumps skin and Trump tries too hard against him.

Postby Andre147

Agree with the above posts... Trump simply doenst have a rival of his age who can consistenly match him. Robertson is not his age despite being one of his main rivals. And I wont even start with ROS or Higgins because the age gap is huge and it would inevitably favour Judd. But, despite this, I think Higgins still leads the h2h, and ROS beat Judd in many important matches down the years too.

Postby D4P

Andre147 wrote:ROS beat Judd in many important matches down the years too.

Ronnie has actually managed to win 4 of his last 7 matches against Judd, which is quite impressive when you think about it. That said, if they play each other 7 more times in Ronnie's career, Judd would presumably win more than 3...

Postby TheRocket

D4P wrote:
Andre147 wrote:ROS beat Judd in many important matches down the years too.

Ronnie has actually managed to win 4 of his last 7 matches against Judd, which is quite impressive when you think about it. That said, if they play each other 7 more times in Ronnie's career, Judd would presumably win more than 3...

Judd will have a leading H2H once this rivalry comes to an end. Which isnt a major shock though given Ronnie is 14 years older and in his mid 40's now while Judd is in his prime.

If they were the same age it would be an insane rivalry and match up but as it is. Its not and Ronnie, despite the age gap still made this one of the best rivalries we've ever seen. Not the best obviously but still somewhere in the Top10.

Postby lhpirnie

I think people should be a bit less negative about Yan Bingtao. He very nearly won the NI Open at the age of 17, which would have broken the record. I know Ronnie doesn't like him, but can't we form an independent opinion?

I think he's already a far better player than he has shown in the big semi-finals or finals, which suggests he's still not quite comfortable on the main table. It's easy to see how he can and will get much stronger. As with any of the young Chinese players he has to face a lot of obstacles to give up his life and come and live here.

Any other sport which had a 20-year old tournament winner, when the rest of the winners are all over 30, would be more appreciative.

Postby Iranu

I don’t think it’s anything to do with Ronnie. He just hasn’t blown people away with his game.

Compared to Ding at the same age he’s nowhere close.

That doesn’t mean he can’t become a great player but there’s a long way to go before he shows that sort of class.

Postby Juddernaut88

[quote="lhpirnie"]I think people should be a bit less negative about Yan Bingtao. He very nearly won the NI Open at the age of 17, which would have broken the record. I know Ronnie doesn't like him, but can't we form an independent opinion?

How do you know Ronnie don't like him?

Postby HappyCamper

o'sullivan repeatedly said in studio analysis things like 'he (yan) just doesn't excite me as a player'. and generally seemed to downplay his achievements this season.

though i think he also predicted him as a future world champ a few years back when he won the world cup with zhou. in short o'sullivan's opinions are a world of contrasts.