Post a reply

Robertson: Greatest overseas player ever ?

Postby Bourne

Surely now Robertson has cemented his status as the best non-UK player to have played the game, let's have a brief look at the contenders:

Cliff Thorburn - 1st overseas to win world title, reached a couple of other finals, 3 times a Masters champion
Ken Doherty - 1 world title and 6 rankers in a career which is still going now, best Irish player of all time
Ding Junhui - 2 UKs and 2 other ranking titles, not yet achieved at the Crucible but still young, best player to come from Asia so far

Robertson now has a world title to his name, world number one, 6 ranking finals and 6 wins and he's arguably still got the peak of his game to come. As of now, he is the greatest overseas player to have played the game.

Re: Robertson: Greatest overseas player ever ?

Postby Bourne

Have to wonder how good he can become in terms of the greatest list, I doubt very much get into the 6 or 7 that Hendry and Davis won but there's certainly a chance for him to the top ten all-timers list.

Postby Tubberlad

Bourne wrote:Have to wonder how good he can become in terms of the greatest list, I doubt very much get into the 6 or 7 that Hendry and Davis won but there's certainly a chance for him to the top ten all-timers list.

I think he'll always be a little bit behind Hendry, Davis, O'Sullivan, Williams or Higgins for me, but we'll have to wait and see. He's certainly a top ten contender in time to come.

Postby Bourne

Ding still only 23 now, just imagine if he can get his game sorted out at the Crucible next year then the confidence and momentum he could get, easily good enough to be a multiple winner.

Postby Roland

Robbo is World Champion and World Number One and not many have done that. Interesting to think that Dott would have been another had the rolling rankings been in place back in 2006/07

Postby Tubberlad

Bourne wrote:Ding still only 23 now, just imagine if he can get his game sorted out at the Crucible next year then the confidence and momentum he could get, easily good enough to be a multiple winner.

I don't think Ding is a bottler. If Ding hits form, he wins. If he doesn't, he doesn't. If Ding hit for for the World Championship, I think he would win it.

Postby Bourne

thetubberlad wrote:
Bourne wrote:Ding still only 23 now, just imagine if he can get his game sorted out at the Crucible next year then the confidence and momentum he could get, easily good enough to be a multiple winner.

I don't think Ding is a bottler. If Ding hits form, he wins. If he doesn't, he doesn't. If Ding hit for for the World Championship, I think he would win it.

I don't think he'd win next year to be honest because I think most players need that experience at the one-table setup and Ding is still the sort of player who does let his head go down if things go wrong, an easy 2nd round draw certainly wouldn't go amiss for once but right now i'd gladly take a semi-final.

Postby Casey

Well Cliff's 3 Masters titles to support the worlds have him slightly above imo. He has now equalled Ken's title haul although Doherty reached 3 World finals.

He will top Ebdon's career total imo and break the 10 mark with another major along the way <ok>

Postby JohnFromLondonTown

Bourne wrote:Robertson now has a world title to his name, world number one, 6 ranking finals and 6 wins and he's arguably still got the peak of his game to come. As of now, he is the greatest overseas player to have played the game.

Before I opened this thread, I gave this a quick bit of thought.
That last sentence my friend in itallic above does it for me.
Tho some would argue it could be Alex Higgins. :john:

Postby Bourne

JohnFromLondonTown wrote:
Bourne wrote:Robertson now has a world title to his name, world number one, 6 ranking finals and 6 wins and he's arguably still got the peak of his game to come. As of now, he is the greatest overseas player to have played the game.

Before I opened this thread, I gave this a quick bit of thought.
That last sentence my friend in itallic above does it for me.
Tho some would argue it could be Alex Higgins. :john:

;)

Postby Wildey

Lets not forget Ding twice UK Champion .

i dont really know if we class Doherty really overseas or we might aswell call Alex Higgins the Greatest overseas Player yes Ken is technically but id rather think further afield.

Cliff Thorburn just shades it at the moment World Title,3 World Finals,3 Masters and been WN1. but Neil Robertson is fast on his Heels and with Ding only 23 he has time on his hands to also eclipse Cliff Thorburn.

Postby Roland

Cliff has 3 Masters as well as a World title and two further World Championship finals and a whole host of tournament wins in events which would have been ranking under todays system.

Postby Thompson Lykes

he also played and lost in two world finals against Spencer, one of the all-time greats and Davis, one of snooker's greatest winners, two players who at their best would have matched and possibly bettered anyone of today's generation.

Postby randam05

wildJONESEYE wrote:Lets not forget Ding twice UK Champion .

i dont really know if we class Doherty really overseas or we might aswell call Alex Higgins the Greatest overseas Player yes Ken is technically but id rather think further afield.

Cliff Thorburn just shades it at the moment World Title,3 World Finals,3 Masters and been WN1. but Neil Robertson is fast on his Heels and with Ding only 23 he has time on his hands to also eclipse Cliff Thorburn.

ken doherty = better than alex higgins on paper?

Postby Wildey

randam05 wrote:

he might be on the table we will never know but on paper Ken Doesent come close

2 World against 1
4 World Final against 3
UK Champion against nothing
4 UK Finals against 1
2 Masters against nothing
5 Masters Final against 1

Postby Noel

WITHOUT HESITATION. Thorburn.
GREATEST GIFT FROM FOREIGN LANDS FROM THE GODS OF SNOOKER
TO HELP SAVE THE SPORT Robertson
BEST-EVER FOREIGN CUESPORT PLAYER. Lindrum

= o)

Noel

Postby Alex0paul

wildJONESEYE wrote:
randam05 wrote:

he might be on the table we will never know but on paper Ken Doesent come close

2 World against 1
4 World Final against 3
UK Champion against nothing
4 UK Finals against 1
2 Masters against nothing
5 Masters Final against 1

Alex Higgins was from N.Ireland so he isn't overseas as its part of the UK whereas Rep of Ire isn't thus Ken is.

(Plus Ken was in 3 UK finals not 1)