Post a reply

Favourite single-session match

Postby Iranu

What are your favourite/best snooker matches over a single session?

I expect the Shoot Out to feature pretty heavily.

Re: Favourite single-session match

Postby The Ace

It's hard for me to pick a single match, but there are three that immediately come to mind.

2005 Masters First Round - Jimmy White 6-5 Matthew Stevens.
2011 China Open Quarter-final - Stephen Lee 5-4 Mark Williams.
2014 Masters Quarter-final - Ronnie O'Sullivan 6-0 Ricky Walden.

Postby SnookerEd25

First that springs to mind for me is Marco Fu 6-5 Ding Junhui, 2017 Players Championship Semi-Final.

This had everything, some high breaks, quality safety, lengthy tactical battles, frames won from way back & a late-night, edge of the seat decider. Brilliant.

There will be more, i’ll post them as I think of them.

Postby Juddernaut88

There was a match where Ding Junhui was 5-0 down to John Higgins and beat him 6-5. I think it was in the Masters

Postby TheRocket

In terms of bo11 matches I think the Ronnie-Selby match in Northern Ireland was the best I've seen. If it was at the Masters it would have been even better. What a match that was though. Quality breakbuilding and matchplay for the first 10 frames and then you had that sick decider.

Robertson-Higgins Grand Prix 2009 is probably as good.

I agree with Snookerfan about Lee-Williams being the best bo9 match. Williams made 4 centuries and lost that match.

Postby SnookerEd25

SnookerFan wrote:Mark Williams vs Stephen Lee from the China Open. The best best of nine ever.

Got the year, SF?

Lee was a dubious fellow, but a joy to watch when on top of his game. & MJW is one of my all time favourites. I’d love to see if I can track this down.

Postby Iranu

SnookerEd25 wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:Mark Williams vs Stephen Lee from the China Open. The best best of nine ever.

Got the year, SF?

Lee was a dubious fellow, but a joy to watch when on top of his game. & MJW is one of my all time favourites. I’d love to see if I can track this down.

Think it was 2011.

Postby Juddernaut88

Judd Trump vs Ronnie Sullivan UK Championship 2011 Judd won 6-5.

Stephen Hendry vs John Higgins British Open 2003 Quarter finals. Hendry won 5-4

Postby SnookerEd25

Iranu wrote:
SnookerEd25 wrote:

Got the year, SF?

Think it was 2011.

Thanks Iranu.

Postby Juddernaut88

TheRocket wrote:2016 UK Championship: Fergal O'Brien 6:5 Beast Mode Hawkins (5 centuries from Sexy Fergal)

I think Fergal was 5-0 down in that match too.

Postby TheRocket

Juddernaut88 wrote:
TheRocket wrote:2016 UK Championship: Fergal O'Brien 6:5 Beast Mode Hawkins (5 centuries from Sexy Fergal)

not quite. That was the hawkins bond match when Hawkins led 5:0 and lost 6:5.

But O'Brien was 4:2 behind and what a scoring performance that was from him though. And Hawkins wasnt playing badly. Made four 70+ breaks.

Postby Juddernaut88

TheRocket wrote:
Juddernaut88 wrote:

not quite. That was the hawkins bond match when Hawkins led 5:0 and lost 6:5.

But O'Brien was 4:2 behind and what a scoring performance that was from him though. And Hawkins wasnt playing badly. Made four 70+ breaks.

Ahhh my bad not sure why I got them mixed up lol.

Postby SnookerFan

Iranu wrote:
SnookerEd25 wrote:

Got the year, SF?

Think it was 2011.

I think it was too.

Postby SnookerEd25

SnookerFan wrote:
Iranu wrote:
SnookerEd25 wrote:

Got the year, SF?

Think it was 2011.

I think it was too.

Thanks both, then.

Postby Iranu

Pink Ball wrote:https://www.snookerisland.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=8997

If that thread was called “Everyone’s top 125 one-session matches” there would be no need for this one.

Postby mick745

James Cahill 6-5 Ding Junhui 2014 UK - Cahill led 5-1 before Ding won 4 frames on the trot including two frames where he needed a snooker.

2016 Scottish Open SF John Higgins 6-5 v Judd Trump after being 1-5.

All four quarter finals from 2015 German Open.

Postby Iranu

Also worth saying there’s a difference between favourite and best, which is why I included both.

Postby Iranu

Pink Ball wrote:
Iranu wrote:

Also worth saying there’s a difference between favourite and best, which is why I included both.

You're a bucking banker.

That’s true but it’s neither here nor there.