Post a reply

Re: Ronnie O’Sullivan on Covid-19

Postby Cloud Strife

This is clearly a wind-up. No way does Ronnie believe a word of what he's come out with here.

He's taking the snake hiss out of the Chinese over this coronavirus crisis using sarcasm and satire, and he's right to call them out IMO.

Postby vodkadiet1

At last. Words of wisdom on this subject. It has taken a while coming. And as he says The Chinese are an example of how the rest of the world should be. An immaculate race of people.

Postby Badsnookerplayer

Notwithstanding the fact that I am not a great fan of ROS, that video is particularly inane - even by his standards.

One thing - I have a feeling that when the Worlds is played Ronnie will win it. I think he is due one final upturn in his trophy haul and that would be the ideal place.

Postby Iranu

Badsnookerplayer wrote:Notwithstanding the fact that I am not a great fan of ROS, that video is particularly inane - even by his standards.

One thing - I have a feeling that when the Worlds is played Ronnie will win it. I think he is due one final upturn in his trophy haul and that would be the ideal place.

I’m guessing he was “persuaded” to post it by Chinese sponsors.

Postby Badsnookerplayer

Iranu wrote:
Badsnookerplayer wrote:Notwithstanding the fact that I am not a great fan of ROS, that video is particularly inane - even by his standards.

Yeah - could be right. Would explain the flippant tone

Postby HappyCamper

likely pr fluff aimed at the chinese market to coincide with the current easing of restrictions in wuhan. i notice he's wearing a 19.com shirt - an asian betting company.

it's probably premature so say it's job done as a new flare up could happen and until a reliable vaccine exists lockdown measures would have to be reinstated.

Postby vodkadiet1

Don't believe the figures coming out of China. Nearly 100,000 mobile numbers are now not being responded to from before Covid 19 started. And the queues to arrange funerals in streets beggar belief. The Chinese government cannot be trusted.

Postby HappyCamper

Cloud Strife wrote:
Badsnookerplayer wrote:Maybe they ran out of credit and could not get to the shop

Do they not have WhatsApp in China?

no* as it's owned by facebook. wechat is the local alternative that is used.

*unless you use a vpn.

Postby D4P

Ronnie's mental health definitely seemed to take a downward turn starting at last year's WC until now, presumably in part because of his breakup with Laila. That's probably why he just tried to make snooker fun for himself this past season rather than trying his hardest to win tournaments...

Postby vodkadiet1

D4P wrote:Ronnie's mental health definitely seemed to take a downward turn starting at last year's WC until now, presumably in part because of his breakup with Laila. That's probably why he just tried to make snooker fun for himself this past season rather than trying his hardest to win tournaments...

He obviously needed a break from playing The Eric Clapton classic all day!

'Layla'.....'Layla'.....

Postby Dan-cat

D4P wrote:Ronnie's mental health definitely seemed to take a downward turn starting at last year's WC until now, presumably in part because of his breakup with Laila. That's probably why he just tried to make snooker fun for himself this past season rather than trying his hardest to win tournaments...

He broke up with Laila?!

We are break-up buds!

Postby D4P

Dan-cat wrote:

He broke up with Laila?!

We are break-up buds!

They broke up before the WC last season, but got back together at some point...

Postby chengdufan

Iranu wrote:

99.9% certain. There's someone behind the camera holding up cards to remind him of the 'key messages'

Postby chengdufan

vodkadiet1 wrote:Don't believe the figures coming out of China. Nearly 100,000 mobile numbers are now not being responded to from before Covid 19 started. And the queues to arrange funerals in streets beggar belief. The Chinese government cannot be trusted.

There's a lot of this kind of comment coming out of European and American message boards and below the line comments.
It's what certain people would like to believe, for sure.

I can't speak for the whole of China, but can share my personal observations.
Things have been close to back to normal for a couple of weeks now where I live. The last places to reopen are the schools and unis. Primary and middle schools have announced start dates for later this month or early May.
Subway to work, office buildings etc are as busy as before the crisis.
More people wear masks while out and about than before.
I have a network of about 3000 people, both Chinese and foreigners living in China. None of them have reported testing positive or knowing anyone who's tested positive.
I took a family member to the hospital last week (not covid/flu/cold related). It was no busier than usual.
We visited the cemetery for tomb sweeping. Nothing unusual going on.
A colleagues family were locked down in Hubei and came home last week.

Postby Holden Chinaski

chengdufan wrote:I have a network of about 3000 people, both Chinese and foreigners living in China. None of them have reported testing positive or knowing anyone who's tested positive.
I took a family member to the hospital last week (not covid/flu/cold related). It was no busier than usual.

Thank you for sharing. Refreshing to hear from somebody who's actually there, instead of all the uninformed speculating.

Postby Cloud Strife

chengdufan wrote:
vodkadiet1 wrote:Don't believe the figures coming out of China. Nearly 100,000 mobile numbers are now not being responded to from before Covid 19 started. And the queues to arrange funerals in streets beggar belief. The Chinese government cannot be trusted.

There's a lot of this kind of comment coming out of European and American message boards and below the line comments.

Things have been close to back to normal for a couple of weeks now where I live. The last places to reopen are the schools and unis. Primary and middle schools have announced start dates for later this month or early May.
I have a network of about 3000 people, both Chinese and foreigners living in China. None of them have reported testing positive or knowing anyone who's tested positive.

Which part of China are you in?

Postby chengdufan

Cloud Strife wrote:
chengdufan wrote:

Which part of China are you in?

Chongqing