Post a reply

Re: April’s World Snooker Championships will be replaced by

Postby SnookerEd25

I hope they delve properly into the archives and dig out some early round matches (preferably O'Sullivan-Hicks from 2004) rather than just show SFs and finals from the last 10 years, which I suspect they'll do.

Postby Iranu

SnookerEd25 wrote:I hope they delve properly into the archives and dig out some early round matches (preferably O'Sullivan-Hicks from 2004) rather than just show SFs and finals from the last 10 years, which I suspect they'll do.

They should do an entire tournament progressing from the best first rounds right through to the best final.

Postby mick745

Iranu wrote:
SnookerEd25 wrote:I hope they delve properly into the archives and dig out some early round matches (preferably O'Sullivan-Hicks from 2004) rather than just show SFs and finals from the last 10 years, which I suspect they'll do.

They should do an entire tournament progressing from the best first rounds right through to the best final.

That would be fantastic. There have been some briiliant early round matches.

Let the viewers see some proper stuff from the archives, that they may not have seen before instead of rehashing the same old stuff.

Postby HustleKing

Assuming if they do this the BBC would be contracted to show a number of matches by each of their pundits relevant to their importance/earning income within the station. Can't wait for all these Virgo and Taylor masterclasses :roll:

Postby SnookerEd25

Iranu wrote:

That would be almost as good as the real thing. Can we flood the BBC with emails requesting this?

Postby mick745

Apparently they are kicking off the coverage with Steve Davis v Tony Knowles from 1982.

Sadly it looks like the coverage will just be repeats of the 'Crucible Classics' series from a few years ago.

An opportunity missed if that is the case.

Postby lhpirnie

mick745 wrote:
Iranu wrote:

That would be fantastic. There have been some briiliant early round matches.

Let the viewers see some proper stuff from the archives, that they may not have seen before instead of rehashing the same old stuff.

Yes I agree wholeheartedly. If it's just the familiar finals, it will just come over as a bunch of repeats. They have to do their work and scratch beneath the surface.

For me, showing some great players when they were young, before they were famous, would be interesting.

Postby SnookerFan

mick745 wrote:Apparently they are kicking off the coverage with Steve Davis v Tony Knowles from 1982.

Sadly it looks like the coverage will just be repeats of the 'Crucible Classics' series from a few years ago.

An opportunity missed if that is the case.

I don't even remember that series.

Postby SnookerEd25

Ran every night (early hours of the morning) after the 'snooker extra' programme which itself followed the daily highlights so you'd only have seen it if you were a night worker or an insomniac. Sometimes would run on the red button if a morning or afternoon session finished early too.

Postby SnookerFan

SnookerEd25 wrote:Ran every night (early hours of the morning) after the 'snooker extra' programme which itself followed the daily highlights so you'd only have seen it if you were a night worker or an insomniac. Sometimes would run on the red button if a morning or afternoon session finished early too.

So, what was it? Just some highlights of old matches?

So, what are they showing? Five minutes of old matches on some days?

Postby Juddernaut88

I think I briefly remember it. I think it was during the 2017 World championship. They shown Hendry vs White 1992 world final. Hendry vs Ronnie semi finals in 1999 and 2002. Plus other matches but I remember those 3 the most of course :)

Postby mick745

It was a series of seventeen (i think one wasnt shown in the end because of matches overrunning that day) two hour programmes - however some of the editing took a lot to be desired, for instance they didnt show Hendry's brown from the middle pocket in the 24th frame of the 1992 final which was probably the most significant moment of the entire match.

A list of all the episodes is here:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b078hx ... odes/guide

All we are going to get are these two hour programmes, showing one a day for the seventeen days, better than nothing but i do feel we wete sold a bit of a false promise with repeated programmes.

Typical bbc i am afraid.

Postby SnookerFan

mick745 wrote:It was a series of seventeen (i think one wasnt shown in the end because of matches overrunning that day) two hour programmes - however some of the editing took a lot to be desired, for instance they didnt show Hendry's brown from the middle pocket in the 24th frame of the 1992 final which was probably the most significant moment of the entire match.

A list of all the episodes is here:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b078hx ... odes/guide

All we are going to get are these two hour programmes, showing one a day for the seventeen days, better than nothing but i do feel we wete sold a bit of a false promise with repeated programmes.

Typical bbc i am afraid.

And this is the channel we expect to give permission to show The Crucible in July.

Postby lhpirnie

SnookerEd25 wrote:Can’r believe Higgins-White 82 SF wasn’t included though

The BBC probably deleted the footage.

I have to say these repeats are a bit rough on Steve Davis. He was a great player who dominated the decade, and they have decided to show only his 3 defeats, painful losses.

Postby mick745

lhpirnie wrote:

I have to say these repeats are a bit rough on Steve Davis. He was a great player who dominated the decade, and they have decided to show only his 3 defeats, painful losses.

The 1984 final is there though. A great final that was especially day 2 of the final.

Postby SnookerFan

lhpirnie wrote:

I suspect he's over them.

Postby lhpirnie

mick745 wrote:
lhpirnie wrote:

The 1984 final is there though. A great final that was especially day 2 of the final.

Ah, I see they changed the schedule. The first schedule I saw had the 1985 final, which I assume has been kicked into the second week now.

Postby StretfordEnd1996

That'd make sense and I've got a good feeling Eurosport will be broadcasting countless matches too - (they do it in normal circumstances anyway)

That said, any matches that pre-date Eurosport coverage of the Worlds I don't think they'd have immediate easy rights to show without a bit of faffing about with the Beeb - so it wouldn't surprise me if ES only show more modern matches from the last 10-15 years - which is no issue of course there have been some classics.