Post a reply

All-Star World Championship: final matches

Postby Pink Ball

Welcome to the 'final' thread of the All-Star World Championship, the blue riband thread of this nostalgic competition.

Simply nominate up to three World Championship finals that you feel should be included in next week's poll stage (Phase Two). Do not nominate a match that has already been nominated. A maximum of 43 finals will go forward to Phase Two, at which stage we will whittle the nominations down to one winner.

Deadline is some time next Friday (April 10).

ALL MATCHES NOMINATED MUST BE FROM THE CRUCIBLE ERA (1977-2019)

The nominees so far are:
1982: Alex Higgins 18-15 Ray Reardon
1984: Steve Davis 18-16 Jimmy White
1985: Dennis Taylor 18-17 Steve Davis
1986: Joe Johnson 18-12 Steve Davis
1992: Stephen Hendry 18-14 Jimmy White
1993: Stephen Hendry 18-5 Jimmy White
1994: Stephen Hendry 18-17 Jimmy White
1997: Ken Doherty 18-12 Stephen Hendry
2000: Mark Williams 18-16 Matthew Stevens
2002: Peter Ebdon 18-17 Stephen Hendry
2005: Shaun Murphy 18-16 Matthew Stevens
2011: John Higgins 18-15 Judd Trump
2013: Ronnie O'Sullivan 18-12 Barry Hawkins
2014: Mark Selby 18-14 Ronnnie O'Sullivan
2015: Stuart Bingham 18-15 Shaun Murphy
2018: Mark Williams 18-16 John Higgins
2019: Judd Trump 18-9 John Higgins
Last edited by Pink Ball on 05 Apr 2020, edited 8 times in total.

Re: All-Star World Championship: final matches

Postby mick745

Pink Ball wrote:
mick745 wrote:2015 mark selby v ronnie o'sullivan

2014, you mean. Logged. You can add two more if you want.

I think most of my other favourite finals have been nominated, except:

1993 Hendry 18-5 white.

Although the result wasnt close it was the finest example of the WN1 totally dismantling the WN2 in a display of such supreme confidence and superiority that it was totally mind blowing at the time, from the moment of Hendry's total clearance from his very first shot in the very first frame to the last.

Postby Pink Ball

mick745 wrote:
Pink Ball wrote:
mick745 wrote:2015 mark selby v ronnie o'sullivan

2014, you mean. Logged. You can add two more if you want.

I think most of my other favourite finals have been nominated, except:

1993 Hendry 18-5 white.

Although the result wasnt close it was the finest example of the WN1 totally dismantling the WN2 in a display of such supreme confidence and superiority that it was totally mind blowing at the time, from the moment of Hendry's total clearance from his very first shot in the very first frame to the last.

Logged.

Postby PLtheRef

I'll start with the 2019 Final - It was high quality throughout with 11 century breaks even if the 18-9 scoreline suggests a one sided encounter.

Postby Juddernaut88

PLtheRef wrote:I'll start with the 2019 Final - It was high quality throughout with 11 century breaks even if the 18-9 scoreline suggests a one sided encounter.

I thoroughly enjoyed that final :happy: It was 5-5 at one stage and then Judd just went up a gear to win 8 frames in a row. I can remember at the end of that 2nd session I was still nervous that Judd could lose from being 12-5 up lol.

Postby McManusFan

2015 Stuart Bingham 18-15 Shaun Murphy 18-15

Probably not a popular choice, but I have very fond memories of that match. It had that frame that lasted over an hour, and Bingham had to nip out to the toilet. It was a great match with lots of drama, even if it didn't have the most star studded participants.

Postby Pink Ball

McManusFan wrote:2015 Stuart Bingham 18-15 Shaun Murphy 18-15

Probably not a popular choice, but I have very fond memories of that match. It had that frame that lasted over an hour, and Bingham had to nip out to the toilet. It was a great match with lots of drama, even if it didn't have the most star studded participants.

Logged, and I think it's definitely worthy of its place. Excellent final.

Postby SnookerEd25

Missed the deadline, but i'm disappointed 2010 didn't make the cut; that got really intense in the final session as wee Dott used all his craftiness to make Robbo sweat, but the Australian showed he was a worthy champion by finally getting over the line. To be fair, though, it wouldn't have been one of my top 2 overall.

Postby Cloud Strife

SnookerEd25 wrote:Missed the deadline, but i'm disappointed 2010 didn't make the cut; that got really intense in the final session as wee Dott used all his craftiness to make Robbo sweat, but the Australian showed he was a worthy champion by finally getting over the line. To be fair, though, it wouldn't have been one of my top 2 overall.

Just tell him to extend it. Always works for me.