Post a reply

Re: Mark Williams - people's champion article

Postby HustleKing

Great player back in the day and loved his personality, but he did spoil his reputation slightly by having next to no professionalism after the WC 2018 in contrast to someone like Steve Davis, or to a lesser extent Alan McManus, who were past their prime in the 21st Century but still give/gave their all to at least not be embarrassed in the TC's. But it's not too late for Williams to go out on some kind of high note, so hopefully he does make a proper effort at having a career again

Postby SnookerFan

I didn't mind him celebrating in 2018. It's not like he was in his prime. It was a surprise win at the tail end of his career.

If he was doing that when he was 18, it'd be more of a problem.

Postby HustleKing

Pink Ball wrote:I wasn’t a big Williams fan in his heyday, but I loved his 2018 win. And I loved that he didn’t give a buck what bankers thought of his celebrations.

Williams > bankers

I didn't mind his celebrations either and I loved his temerity to do the nude press conference.

My problem was those celebrations weren't cut short in 2018!

Postby Iranu

Eh, he can celebrate as long as he likes. If no one’s good enough to beat him that’s their problem. He’s won a ranker and reached another final despite not practising in two years.

Postby SnookerEd25

Holden Chinaski wrote:Watching Williams win the title in 2018 is one of my best memories out of all my years of watching snooker. I loved it.

Wholeheartedly agree, & i’ve been watching for about 40yrs. Whatever he did after that was irrelevant; it was such a heartwarming and unexpected triumph (he hadn’t even qualified 12 months earlier!)

Postby Holden Chinaski

SnookerEd25 wrote:
Holden Chinaski wrote:Watching Williams win the title in 2018 is one of my best memories out of all my years of watching snooker. I loved it.

Wholeheartedly agree, & i’ve been watching for about 40yrs. Whatever he did after that was irrelevant; it was such a heartwarming and unexpected triumph (he hadn’t even qualified 12 months earlier!)

<ok>

Postby Holden Chinaski

Dan-cat wrote:So goddamn floaty.

Sometimes when I'm playing snooker I'm able to float a ball in with just enough pace as MJW does and those are really satisfying shots, especially to the middle pockets. Must feel great to play like Mark.

Postby rekoons

Holden Chinaski wrote:
Dan-cat wrote:So goddamn floaty.

Sometimes when I'm playing snooker I'm able to float a ball in with just enough pace as MJW does and those are really satisfying shots, especially to the middle pockets. Must feel great to play like Mark.

Aye, those are the moments <ok>