Post a reply

Re: It’s Off

Postby vodkadiet1

The Olympics starting date has been put back. That was due to start on July 24.

Postby csprince

make your mind up you just said he's a banker.

Postby SnookerFan

csprince wrote:make your mind up you just said he's a banker.

I was being facetious.

Postby csprince

SnookerFan wrote:
csprince wrote:make your mind up you just said he's a banker.

I was being facetious.

my bad.

Postby lhpirnie

SnookerFan wrote:Apparently some of the Chinese players are unsure about whether to fly home to China.

https://wst.tv/east-west-home-is-best/

Yes they started going back a couple of weeks ago. Some of them have families who they haven't seen for months, including Mei Xiwen who comes from Hubei province, close to Wuhan. Zhang Anda's wife was about to give birth, but I haven't heard how she's getting on. Ding has a young daughter. However, Liang Wenbo has been largely based in London since his bereavement last year.

Zhou Yuelong recently moved to Darlington under new management, and has been online helping the promotion of his new set-up, which is probably where the story came from. The others who have stayed are probably still here because they hate flying, can't stand the 14-day quarantine or don't have good practice facilities in their home.

Postby HustleKing

vodkadiet1 wrote:
Badsnookerplayer wrote:Gilbert asks that the WC go ahead.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/snooker/52091654

Gilbert more concerned about his mortgage than NHS workers laying dead in mortuaries.

Tbf to Gilbert, he doesn't want it to go ahead in April and May, he's happy for some kind of delay. However, he will need to change his mind if the virus lasts longer than the earliest possible predicted end date

Postby vodkadiet1

HustleKing wrote:
vodkadiet1 wrote:

Gilbert more concerned about his mortgage than NHS workers laying dead in mortuaries.

Tbf to Gilbert, he doesn't want it to go ahead in April and May, he's happy for some kind of delay. However, he will need to change his mind if the virus lasts longer than the earliest possible predicted end date

He seemed to think May was a possible start date. He is a moron.

Postby McManusFan

vodkadiet1 wrote:

Oh come on, it's not just him. There are a lot of players on the tour who will be really struggling. I don't know if any of the government assistance is applicable to snooker players.

Over here they are saying the lockdown conditions will last at least six months. If it's going to last that long, or perhaps even longer, there is definately an argument to consider entertainment a key service. A sport like snooker does seem like one of the easiest to get running with as few people involved as possible.

You could reduce the number of people at the table to just two (the players can respot the balls themselves), with a marker to officiate from a distance. You could also just have a single fixed camera angle, and the players could wear gloves and masks! I know there would still be issues with table fitting and such, but my point is there's probably a way to stage snooker and really minimise the risk whilst providing a valuable public service.

Postby vodkadiet1

I thought Gilbert could drive a tractor? He can earn money so why is he complaining?

Postby lhpirnie

McManusFan wrote:
vodkadiet1 wrote:

Oh come on, it's not just him. There are a lot of players on the tour who will be really struggling. I don't know if any of the government assistance is applicable to snooker players.

Over here they are saying the lockdown conditions will last at least six months. If it's going to last that long, or perhaps even longer, there is definately an argument to consider entertainment a key service. A sport like snooker does seem like one of the easiest to get running with as few people involved as possible.

You could reduce the number of people at the table to just two (the players can respot the balls themselves), with a marker to officiate from a distance. You could also just have a single fixed camera angle, and the players could wear gloves and masks! I know there would still be issues with table fitting and such, but my point is there's probably a way to stage snooker and really minimise the risk whilst providing a valuable public service.

Yes, it is pehraps possible to hold snooker matches 'behind closed doors', unlike say football. But probably not the World Championships. It would be expensive to have 12 isolated tables in such a fashion. Still, a Championship League kind of event could work.

Most likely we're looking at September. I think by then everyone will be so fed up with everything that even if the 'guidelines' are still in force, people will find ways to bend the rules.

The overseas players, such as the Chinese, will probably have a 14-day quarantine to sit through. At the moment they are doing that in China, with no practice facilities available. So I'd guess players would have to return to UK in August to get a couple of week's table time, which might be an isolation issue for them.

Postby Ck147

vodkadiet1 wrote:I thought Gilbert could drive a tractor? He can earn money so why is he complaining?

Farmers are having a hard time, even though retail sector demand is up, hospitality sector demand is way down. Poor guy probably has mouldy spuds now.

Postby Ck147

lhpirnie wrote:
McManusFan wrote:
vodkadiet1 wrote:

Yes, it is pehraps possible to hold snooker matches 'behind closed doors', unlike say football. But probably not the World Championships. It would be expensive to have 12 isolated tables in such a fashion. Still, a Championship League kind of event could work.

Most likely we're looking at September. I think by then everyone will be so fed up with everything that even if the 'guidelines' are still in force, people will find ways to bend the rules.

The overseas players, such as the Chinese, will probably have a 14-day quarantine to sit through. At the moment they are doing that in China, with no practice facilities available. So I'd guess players would have to return to UK in August to get a couple of week's table time, which might be an isolation issue for them.

Never seen a Brentford match?

Postby Badsnookerplayer

Ck147 wrote:
lhpirnie wrote:
McManusFan wrote:
vodkadiet1 wrote:

Never seen a Brentford match?

rofl

Postby Wildey

McManusFan wrote:
vodkadiet1 wrote:

Come on how is entertainment a key job its Absalutly ridicilous this convo is still going on there's a lot of people in worst financial state than Dave Gilbert. At least snooker players know that they will still be able to play at some point. A lot won't even have jobs.

Postby McManusFan

Wildey wrote:
McManusFan wrote:
vodkadiet1 wrote:

Come on how is entertainment a key job its Absalutly ridicilous this convo is still going on there's a lot of people in worst financial state than Dave Gilbert. At least snooker players know that they will still be able to play at some point. A lot won't even have jobs.

I'm not saying it's on the same level as nurses and doctors, or even that things should be going ahead right now. What I am saying, is that if this does go on for a protracted period of time as looks to be the case, people will need entertainment and distractions, and if there is a way to provide this in a relatively safe way it's something that should be looked at.

On the financial point, sure Dave Gilbert is probably ok, but what about the lads lower down on the tour? Are they entitled to any government assistance? I can understand sportsmen and sportswomen wouldn't be the top priority for the government, but it would be a shame if struggling young snooker players fell through the cracks.

Postby SnookerEd25

Very true. Hasn't Ronnie highlighted how those at the lower end of the rankings are often not even breaking even; IE effectively putting themselves into debt in the hope of making enough later to pay it off - and that's during a healthy, ongoing season!

Postby Wildey

Yea but a lot of Buisnesses employing a lot of people will have to close in the aftereffect of this we are all in the same boat so at the moment Snooker Players will have to lump it with the rest of us.

Postby vodkadiet1

Let's all crowdfund to pay David Gilbert's mortgage!

Postby csprince

vodkadiet1 wrote:Let's all crowdfund to pay David Gilbert's mortgage!

decline.

Postby Iranu

Wildey wrote:Yea but a lot of Buisnesses employing a lot of people will have to close in the aftereffect of this we are all in the same boat so at the moment Snooker Players will have to lump it with the rest of us.

Aren’t snooker players self-employed? So unlike the employed, while snooker’s closed they won’t get access to their scheme until June? And players newly on tour last season won’t be eligible since you need to have been self-employed for at least a year.

I don’t think Gilbert’s saying “get the snooker back up and screw everyone else.” But if there was a way to hold the Worlds without adverse effects, it would be daft not to, right? It’s not just players who would benefit, it’s camera people, refs, table fitters etc.

Postby vodkadiet1

I have always thought that The World Championships should be held in February. If it had have been there would have been no problem.

Postby vodkadiet1

The Edinburgh Festival has been cancelled. That was scheduled for 7-31 August.

But Gilbert needs his mortgage paid....

Postby Cloud Strife

Gilbert will be fine. The banks are offering everyone affected a 3 month mortgage holiday.

Postby mick745

Dave Gilbert is on 401k points in the two year ranking list, earnings would be higher with sponsorship, endorsements, personal appearances and exhibitions.

This is more than many people earn in 15 years.

A lot of low earners are now having to struggle to earn anything with kids at home.

Snooker players get to earn money doing what they love.

They dont have to struggle in to factories and offices every day to be paid a pittance for a boss you cant stand.