Post a reply

Will The Crucible go ahead as normal?

Yes
31%
No
69%

Total votes : 13

Re: Will The Crucible go ahead as normal?

Postby lhpirnie

I know for most casual observers 'World Championship' = 'Crucible', but it actually begins on 8th April, at Sheffield Institute of Sport.

If they cannot be played (perhaps in breach of Government regulations), can they play at the Crucible with no qualifiers? Perhaps just have the top-16 play it out? The BBC and casual fans might like that as they are only interested in the top handful of players. But that would not really live up to the billing of 'World Championship', in my view.

Even if qualifiers do take place somehow, several players would not be able to enter UK, if they are not already here (like Brecel for example).

Postby lhpirnie

SnookerFan wrote:
KrazeeEyezKilla wrote:It shouldn't.

Agreed.

But that's not the question I asked.

No, he's right. The Crucible might try to hold a snooker event, but it won't be a proper World Championship.

In my view it will be a forced cancellation, because of the incoming emergency legislation.

Postby The_Abbott

No. I think by April we will be in a bad shape. They may well play the qualifiers as they are behind closed doors anyway but it depends how many players get coronavirus I guess

Then at least when they can play the WC they will know the 32 players that have qualified and also sorts out who stays on tour and who doesn't in a fair way.

Postby SnookerFan

Johnny Bravo wrote:If it's behind closed doors, it might favor someone like ROS.
The pressure got to him bigtime in the last few years.
It will also benefit Ding.

Won't it be the sort of thing that Ronnie hates? Playing in front of no crowds.

Postby Johnny Bravo

SnookerFan wrote:
Johnny Bravo wrote:If it's behind closed doors, it might favor someone like ROS.

Yes, but he probably won't be among the favorites this year. He hasn't had a great season.
Maybe that will ease off the pressure.

Postby lhpirnie

The_Abbott wrote:No. I think by April we will be in a bad shape. They may well play the qualifiers as they are behind closed doors anyway but it depends how many players get coronavirus I guess

Then at least when they can play the WC they will know the 32 players that have qualified and also sorts out who stays on tour and who doesn't in a fair way.

Not quite. Firstly, the qualifiers aren't played behind closed doors - I have a ticket! Secondly, even if somehow they do manage to play the qualifiers (unlikely since it involves too many people, even without any spectators), there could still be a possibility that a player may need to win a match to get into the top-64.

Despite the fact I love the WC qualifiers and I stand to lose £650 if they get cancelled, I really can't see how any of it can go ahead.

Postby Sauce321

In a few days' time, UK will certainly take drastic measures, as many countries have just done.

WC probably won't happen, even behind closed doors.

Postby lhpirnie

Sauce321 wrote:In a few days' time, UK will certainly take drastic measures, as many countries have just done.

The indications are that UK will take some mild actions this week, followed by some slightly more severe actions next week, etc. until the drastic ones in a month's time. The trouble is that it in the meantime it doesn't leave people with any idea how to plan.

Postby SnookerFan

lhpirnie wrote:
Sauce321 wrote:In a few days' time, UK will certainly take drastic measures, as many countries have just done.

The indications are that UK will take some mild actions this week, followed by some slightly more severe actions next week, etc. until the drastic ones in a month's time. The trouble is that it in the meantime it doesn't leave people with any idea how to plan.

This.

I think people are assuming that Boris Johnson and Co. will take swift and decisive action. I wish I had that faith in them.

Postby Dan-cat

SnookerFan wrote:

True he thrives on that

Postby Prop

They’d have to drag Ronnie kicking and screaming to compete in the Worlds if by some miracle it happens.

He hates the Crucible. He hates germs.

Postby SnookerFan

Prop wrote:They’d have to drag Ronnie kicking and screaming to compete in the Worlds if by some miracle it happens.

He hates the Crucible. He hates germs.

But he'd go anywhere in the world for a ranking point.

Postby Sauce321

Dan-cat wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:

True he thrives on that

Ronnie won 7 Premier League titles in 8 years, 5 in a row.

Postby Ck147

vodkadiet1 wrote:They could arrange it where players work from home.

Good idea, some F1 drivers did e-sports F1 during the cancelled Australia F1 weekend.

Postby Ck147

Badsnookerplayer wrote:Cruel if Judd is denied his record century season and defeating the curse

Would be actually. I like seeing records broken, so wouldn't care too much if he beats Robbo's 103, and would especially like to see the crucible curse broken. The way he's been playing this season he has a damn good chance, but current circumstances may deny him that chance.