Post a reply

Re: Why doesn't Ding have fire in his belly?

Postby SnookerFan

I remember at the 2017 Masters, when they had been talking about the famous 2007 edition when the crowd got on Ding's back. It had been reported that the people on at Ding were yobbish Ronnie fans, and though I'm sure that was in part true, Neal Foulds was talking about how a lot of his detractors were Chinese people who had come to watch Ding. When Ronnie started running away with it, they were getting in Ding's face. Telling him he was a disgrace to his country, that they wanted no part of him in his culture. Just because he was losing one match.

If that's true, and I have no reason to doubt Fould's words, imagine the impact that would have on Ding. He was a young man at the time. Left his country behind, in a land where he is still learning the language. And you got people from his home cussing down and telling him how ashamed they are of him.

There's already pressure on players, but there'd have been a lot more on him. A lot of people in our culture wouldn't necessarily understand that.

Postby Johnny Bravo

Pink Ball wrote:Ding will win the 2020 World Snooker Championship.

No he won't. Unfortunately for him, Din will never win it.
He's not the strongest mentally and his heart is not 100 percent into snooker anymore.

Postby Holden Chinaski

Johnny Bravo wrote:

He's not the strongest mentally and his heart is not 100 percent into snooker anymore.

You are not mentally strong enough to understand how mentally strong Ding is.

Postby SnookerFan

Holden Chinaski wrote:
Johnny Bravo wrote:

rofl

Postby Johnny Bravo

Holden Chinaski wrote:
Johnny Bravo wrote:

We both know I am right Holden.

Postby SnookerFan

Johnny Bravo wrote:We both know I am right Holden.

In that case, you'll be able to easily explain how a mentally weak person can move away from his family, to a country with a language he didn't originally speak, teach himself the language and win 14 ranking, 4 minor rankers and the prestigious Masters event despite having unique and intense pressure on him from a country with a billion people in it.

Postby SnookerFan

The_Abbott wrote:Stephen Maguire put out the fire.

I think Ding's priorities have changed since having a kid.

I agree that Ding is proritising his family at the minute.

Not sure what that's got to do with Mags.

Postby KrazeeEyezKilla

SnookerFan wrote:I remember at the 2017 Masters, when they had been talking about the famous 2007 edition when the crowd got on Ding's back. It had been reported that the people on at Ding were yobbish Ronnie fans, and though I'm sure that was in part true, Neal Foulds was talking about how a lot of his detractors were Chinese people who had come to watch Ding. When Ronnie started running away with it, they were getting in Ding's face. Telling him he was a disgrace to his country, that they wanted no part of him in his culture. Just because he was losing one match.

If that's true, and I have no reason to doubt Fould's words, imagine the impact that would have on Ding. He was a young man at the time. Left his country behind, in a land where he is still learning the language. And you got people from his home cussing down and telling him how ashamed they are of him.

There's already pressure on players, but there'd have been a lot more on him. A lot of people in our culture wouldn't necessarily understand that.

There was one year when Shaun Murphy told the Chinese media they were doing Ding more harm then good.

Postby The_Abbott

SnookerFan wrote:
The_Abbott wrote:Stephen Maguire put out the fire.

I think Ding's priorities have changed since having a kid.

I agree that Ding is proritising his family at the minute.

Not sure what that's got to do with Mags.

it rhymes.

Postby SnookerFan

KrazeeEyezKilla wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:I remember at the 2017 Masters, when they had been talking about the famous 2007 edition when the crowd got on Ding's back. It had been reported that the people on at Ding were yobbish Ronnie fans, and though I'm sure that was in part true, Neal Foulds was talking about how a lot of his detractors were Chinese people who had come to watch Ding. When Ronnie started running away with it, they were getting in Ding's face. Telling him he was a disgrace to his country, that they wanted no part of him in his culture. Just because he was losing one match.

There was one year when Shaun Murphy told the Chinese media they were doing Ding more harm then good.

Did he?

For once, he might have a point.

Postby HustleKing

Do the Belgian snooker media get on Luca's back much, Holden?

That is, if their interested enough in the game to have a passionate snooker media? (Unlike Ireland :roll: )

Postby lhpirnie

Yes that's true. When Ding is losing matches, there's a lot of activity on Chinese social media really laying into him: how rich and spoilt he is, that he should retire, commit suicide, etc. It's not just with Ding either, Lyu Haotian really got hammered after his breakdown in 2015 (they weren't aware of what had happened to him as a 15-year old). Of course, other players have had similar attacks on social media, but the Chinese players have higher expectations as 'national hero' status.

Postby Holden Chinaski

HustleKing wrote:Do the Belgian snooker media get on Luca's back much, Holden?

Not really. Luca is definitely not a star like Ding is in China. He's been on tv once or twice, there have been a few interviews in newspapers, and of course there are news articles on his career. But snooker is not really big in Belgium. Football and cycling are the main sports here.

Postby Holden Chinaski

lhpirnie wrote:When Ding is losing matches, there's a lot of activity on Chinese social media really laying into him: how rich and spoilt he is, that he should retire, commit suicide, etc..

WTF? :?

Postby HappyCamper

Holden Chinaski wrote:

Not really. Luca is definitely not a star like Ding is in China. He's been on tv once or twice, there have been a few interviews in newspapers, and of course there are news articles on his career. But snooker is not really big in Belgium. Football and cycling are the main sports here.

has the ronde been cancelled?

Postby Holden Chinaski

HappyCamper wrote:
Holden Chinaski wrote:

has the ronde been cancelled?

I think they haven't yet announced. It will be moved to sometime later I'm sure. I'm one of the few Belgians who doesn't really care about cycling.