Post a reply

Re: BetVictor Gibraltar Open !!!!!

Postby Iranu

SnookerFan wrote:
McManusFan wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:Can they all just agree not to shake hands?

Is there any real need to find an alternative at all? Yes, the handshake pre-match is polite and shows good sportsmanship, but considering the circumstances would anybody be offended if it didn't happen at all?

It's not so much the pre-match/deciding frame handshake that I'm missing, it's the end of match one. The end of the Gibraltar final just felt so odd with nothing to mark it.

Is it really THAT big a deal?

I don’t think anyone’s claiming it’s a big deal <laugh>

I’ll say this: it’s a bigger deal than the name of the UK Championship <ok>

Postby McManusFan

SnookerFan wrote:
McManusFan wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:Can they all just agree not to shake hands?

Is there any real need to find an alternative at all? Yes, the handshake pre-match is polite and shows good sportsmanship, but considering the circumstances would anybody be offended if it didn't happen at all?

It's not so much the pre-match/deciding frame handshake that I'm missing, it's the end of match one. The end of the Gibraltar final just felt so odd with nothing to mark it.

Is it really THAT big a deal?

Obviously it isn't a big deal, but it is something little that could have an easy fix. Hopefully they'll think of something as a replacement for the worlds. Even if it's just a tap on the table or something. Or a handshake followed by a furious hand washing session.

Postby Sauce321

The current no-handshake in snooker is only to set a good audience.

Because once the match has started, both players are eavely touching rails and cloth with their hands. And then you'll see Trump eating his nails.

Postby SnookerFan

Sauce321 wrote:The current no-handshake in snooker is only to set a good audience.

Because once the match has started, both players are eavely touching rails and cloth with their hands. And then you'll see Trump eating his nails.

Exactly.

Players have their hands all over the table, so the lack of handshake is ceremonial as much as anything.

Postby SnookerFan

Dan-cat wrote:I am disgusted at the lack of handshakes. Cant they wear surgical gloves?

Outraged of Valencia

Instead of shaking hands with the referees, will big name refs such as Desislava Bozhilova, Proletina Velichkova, Tatiana Woollaston and Monika Sułkowska come up with an alternative?

Postby snooker_loopy

Congratulations to Judd Trump for winning a record six titles in a season. Wow, that's an amazing achievement. Judd has a chance of winning a second world title and making snooker history. No first time winner has successfully defended the title. It's going to be very hard but Judd could be the man to break the Crucible curse!

Postby Dan-cat

snooker_loopy wrote:Congratulations to Judd Trump for winning a record six titles in a season. Wow, that's an amazing achievement. Judd has a chance of winning a second world title and making snooker history. No first time winner has successfully defended the title. It's going to be very hard but Judd could be the man to break the Crucible curse!

I really hope he does, just so we can stop talk of the non-existent curse

Postby snooker_loopy

I think it's the pressure that gets to the player. The winner always has the first match. It's around 10am on Saturday. He's introduced into the arena - "the current world champion blah blah blah" and he breaks off. The pressure mounts. He starts missing some easy balls. The lower ranked player makes a 60 break. 1:0 down!

The pattern continues. He drops his chalk on the floor. He miscues. His highest break is just 45. He loses the match 10:5. He storms out of the press conference.

Yes, this is what happens! LOL

Postby Iranu

I don’t think people refer to the Curse thinking it’s actually a mystical force.

Postby rekoons

Dan-cat wrote:I am disgusted at the lack of handshakes. Cant they wear surgical gloves?

Outraged of Valencia

How're you doing in Valencia?

We were there a couple weeks ago, had some very nice seafood-paella-soup-thing, in Albufera, just south of Valencia, think they called it Arroz a banda orsomething.

Postby HappyCamper

The crucible is built on an ancient beaker people burial ground. Their spirits take their revenge on specific subset of snooker players who desecrate them.

Postby rekoons

HappyCamper wrote:The crucible is built on an ancient beaker people burial ground. Their spirits take their revenge on specific subset of snooker players who desecrate them.

pmsl

Postby The_Abbott

I'm just pleased they managed to finish it. yeah it was flat atmosphere but it will hopefully be a temporary thing and we can get back to normal in 2021

did lol at Trump and Wilson waving to the empty chairs. Also the ref saying "thankyou, first frame...." who was she saying thankyou to?

Postby Dan-cat

The_Abbott wrote:I'm just pleased they managed to finish it. yeah it was flat atmosphere but it will hopefully be a temporary thing and we can get back to normal in 2021

did lol at Trump and Wilson waving to the empty chairs. Also the ref saying "thankyou, first frame...." who was she saying thankyou to?

Lolzzzz

There is an audience. Millions watching on TV.

Postby Iranu

Dan-cat wrote:
Iranu wrote:I don’t think people refer to the Curse thinking it’s actually a mystical force.

But they do!!

I don’t think they do. It’s a convenient alliterative buzzword.

Postby Acé

Someone needs to tell these players that they leave their hand prints on the table so this business of elbow fisting they do is pointless

Postby SnookerFan

Dan-cat wrote:
The_Abbott wrote:I'm just pleased they managed to finish it. yeah it was flat atmosphere but it will hopefully be a temporary thing and we can get back to normal in 2021

Lolzzzz

There is an audience. Millions watching on TV.

The television money is the main concern, I suspect.