Post a reply

Snooker TV Viewings...

Postby randam05

For those that love statistics...

I thought id put the topic on to let you lot know what tv audiences tournaments are getting and ask on tournaments if you are interested. I mainly did it cause I wanted to let people know how many viwers the world open this year is getting and I will post it on here once available. Because personally I like the tournament a lot but I think its failed, as its main aim was to attract more viewers and as it hasnt been advertised or promoted at all I dont think it has produced higher viewing rates, but I may be wrong.

I will put some tournaments tv audiences and channel on here -

1999 WORLD SNOOKER CHAMPIONSHIP FINAL (MON 20:01) 6.02 -BBC2
2005 WORLD SNOOKER CHAMPIONSHIP FINAL (MON 19:01) 4.790 - BBC2
2008 WORLD SNOOKER CHAMPIONSHIP FINAL (MON 20:00) 3.590 - BBC2
2009 WORLD SNOOKER CHAMPIONSHIP FINAL (MON 20:00) 3.040 - BBC2
2010 WORLD SNOOKER CHAMPIONSHIP FINAL (MON 20:01) 2.560 - BBC2

2010 MASTERS SNOOKER FINAL (SUN 20:00) 2.850 - BBC2
2009 MASTERS SNOOKER FINAL (SUN 20:04) 2.600 - BBC2
2006 MASTERS SNOOKER FINAL (SUN 20:00) 3.230 - BBC2

2009 GRAND PRIX SNOOKER FINAL (SUN 20:01) 1.630 - BBC2
2007 GRAND PRIX SNOOKER FINAL (SUN 20:00) 1.880 - BBC2

2010 SHANGHAI MASTERS SNOOKER FINAL (SUN 12:44) 68000 - eurosport1
6000 - eurosportHD

2009 UK CHAMPIONSHIP SNOOKER FINAL (SUN 21:04) 2.140 - BBC2
2006 UK CHAMPIONSHIP SNOOKER FINAL (SUN 20:01) 2.620 - BBC2

Thats just a few I thought might be interesting. Looking at the world champ finals it just shows how many viewings have dropped since 1999 (which is as far back as I can go) and I also thought its interesting that the Masters final 2010 got more viewers than World champ final 2010.

Anyway if youd like to know any viewers of tournaments just ask..

Re: Snooker TV Viewings...

Postby Smart

Randam

Can you do a little bit more compare and contrast in this topic. I am thinking in terms of where snooker was in the 80's and compare it to today. Remember today there are way more channels for people to be looking at, so snooker has to compete against a lot of othe stuff. <ok>

85 World Final
83 UK Champs Final
87 UK Champs Final

if you can................

Postby Rocket_ron

StalinESQ wrote:Randam

Can you do a little bit more compare and contrast in this topic. I am thinking in terms of where snooker was in the 80's and compare it to today. Remember today there are way more channels for people to be looking at, so snooker has to compete against a lot of othe stuff. <ok>

85 World Final
83 UK Champs Final
87 UK Champs Final

you never ask for much do you :redneck:

Postby Wildey

since 1999 the viewing habits of people have changed those figures don't include online viewing.

6 million BBC 2 Viewing was well above average even in 1999.

less people watch TV These days because of the internet popularity has grown it would be interesting to see the overall share of TV Viewers.

Postby Smart

rocket_ron wrote:

85 World Final
83 UK Champs Final
87 UK Champs Final

you never ask for much do you :redneck:

If you don't ask then you don't get. :sylvester:

I'm leaving the ball in randams court here..................... :shake:

Postby randam05

85 World Final
83 UK Champs Final
87 UK Champs Final

I did want to compare lots more but the problem is the website i use only goes back to 1999 which is silly. I have looked everywhere else and this is really the only proper place for tv viewings sorry :huh2:

I can do any channel from 1999 onwards so if you want to know anything from then on thats the best i can do

Postby randam05

wildJONESEYE wrote:since 1999 the viewing habits of people have changed those figures don't include online viewing.

less people watch TV These days because of the internet popularity has grown it would be interesting to see the overall share of TV Viewers.

yh true wild, but still interesting to have a look.

Looking forward to seeing this weeks viewings. They wont be in till sometime late next week.

Postby Wildey

keep an eye on them <ok>

Postby randam05

will do

what you reckon it will be? considering last years grand prix final had 1.630 million? I reckon very similar viewers

Postby randam05

StalinESQ wrote:randam

You will (I think) be surprised at what you can find on the internet doing some intelligent searches. GL <ok>

:bowdown: if you can find it out.

But i will continue to look.

Postby KrazeeEyezKilla

Ones I can think I remember reading.

White-Thorburn Mercantile Classic 86 - 15.4 million
White-Parrott UK Championship 92 - 15 million
Hendry-White World Final 94 - 14 Million
Davis-O'Sullivan 97 Masters - 10 Million

Postby Smart

KrazeeEyezKilla wrote:Ones I can think I remember reading.

White-Thorburn Mercantile Classic 86 - 15.4 million
White-Parrott UK Championship 92 - 15 million
Hendry-White World Final 94 - 14 Million
Davis-O'Sullivan 97 Masters - 10 Million

good data KEkilla <ok>

Postby NedB-H

wildJONESEYE wrote:since 1999 the viewing habits of people have changed those figures don't include online viewing.

<ok> wild

randam could you find the viewer numbers of programmes that showed on other channels while those finals were on?

Postby Thompson Lykes

People only watch online when they don't have access to a TV. No-one watches on a computer screen when they have a TV sitting there. So internet figures are not massive

Postby SnookerFan

Thompson Lykes wrote:

People only watch online when they don't have access to a TV. No-one watches on a computer screen when they have a TV sitting there. So internet figures are not massive

I used to. I had a period of time when I didn't have a laptop, and only have one now because I'm temporarily living with my parents. I'd have access to a red button or Eurosport in the living room, but sometimes I'd have the BBC Website open in my room so I could talk to people who were also watching the game. This had nothing to do with whether the television in the living room was being watched or not.

Postby randam05

NedB-H wrote:

<ok> wild

randam could you find the viewer numbers of programmes that showed on other channels while those finals were on?

will do, only for world finals though. cant be bothered with rest.

Postby randam05

NedB-H on request. The world champs final..final session and under them is what was on other channels at same time. <ok>

1999 WORLD SNOOKER CHAMPIONSHIP FINAL (MON 20:01) 6.02 BBC2 -

CAR WARS (MON 20:29) 7.970 (bbc1)
EASTENDERS (MON 20:00) 13.330 (bbc1)
ROBIN COOKS INVASION (MON 21:03) 1.520 (FIVE)

2005 WORLD SNOOKER CHAMPIONSHIP FINAL (MON 19:01) 4.790 - BBC2 -

FILM: MEET THE PARENTS (MON 20:29) 5.490(bbc1)
EASTENDERS (MON 19:59) 8.830 (BBC1)
CORONATION STREET (MON 19:34) 11.480 (itv1)
RIDDLE OF THE HUMAN HOBBITS (MON 20:59) 2.730 (channel4)

2008 WORLD SNOOKER CHAMPIONSHIP FINAL (MON 20:00) 3.590 - BBC2 -

EASTENDERS (MON 19:59) 8.920 (bbc1)
CORONATION STREET (MON 2031) 10.73 (itv1)
GRAND DESIGNS LIVE (MON 2100) 2.07 (channel4)

2009 WORLD SNOOKER CHAMPIONSHIP FINAL (MON 20:00) 3.040 - BBC2 -

EASTENDERS (MON 19:59) 9.320 (BBC1)
CORONATION STREET (MON 20:30) 10.70 (itv1)

2010 WORLD SNOOKER CHAMPIONSHIP FINAL (MON 20.01) 2.560 - BBC2 -

EASTENDERS (MON 20:00) 10.080 (bbc1)
CORONATION STREET (MON 20:29) 10.280 (ITV1)
BLITZ STREET (MON 21:01) 1.610 (channel4)
FLASHFORWARD (MON 21:04) 2.240 (FIVE)
THE GADGET SHOW (MON 19:59) 1.610 (FIVE)
GLEE (MON 21:00) 1.910 (E4)

This is some programmes on the main channels that were on during parts of the final. If there was any channel or programme in particular then tell me ned and I will have a proper look. :D hope its what you wanted..say if not.

Postby NedB-H

Cheers randam <ok> We can compare how snooker does against other programmes with those. Looks at first glance like the big fall in snooker figures from 1999-2008 isn't the problem, that fall is repeated across every channel. The bigger problem is that snooker has fallen from2008-2010, when other channels haven't much. Maybe that reflects the less interesting finals over the last couple of years.

Postby randam05

No problem, anytime. I agree with what you saying but I dont think its anything to do with less interesting finals because the times those figures were all taken is as SOON as the final session comes on, for example when it begins at 8.00pm they take the viewings of that channel at exactly 8.00pm so people wouldnt know it would be boring.

I cannot think of an actual reason except for in 1999 there was barely any channels compared to 2008.

But yes its decreasing almost half a million each year from 08. Interesting to see what happens in this seasons worlds.

Postby NedB-H

randam05 wrote:No problem, anytime. I agree with what you saying but I dont think its anything to do with less interesting finals because the times those figures were all taken is as SOON as the final session comes on, for example when it begins at 8.00pm they take the viewings of that channel at exactly 8.00pm so people wouldnt know it would be boring.

I cannot think of an actual reason except for in 1999 there was barely any channels compared to 2008.

But yes its decreasing almost half a million each year from 08. Interesting to see what happens in this seasons worlds.

True but the last three finals have also had at least one fairly dull player and/or been not very close going into Monday evening. I'd make a prediction for this season's final, if it's between any two of Hendry, O'Sullivan, Higgins, Robbo, Williams, Ding, Selby, Allen, Stevens, Wenbo or Trump, then there'll be over 3mil viewers on Monday evening. If one or both the finalists is from outside that group, there'll be below 3mil viewers.