Post a reply

Re: David Gray v Ronnie O’Sullivan

Postby TheRocket

Alex0paul wrote:He wouldn’t have beaten Selby over 4 sessions in the semis

nope he would. Selby was lucky he won it in 2016. Probably as bad as I've seen someone play and win the World title. He even struggled against Sam freaking Baird in the second round. In the final he benefited from playing against a very nervy Ding who lost the first six frames.

in 2017 however Selby was a different beast . just compare the standard of the 2016 final between Selby and Ding and their 2017 semi. Its like night and day. 2017 was insane quality.
Last edited by TheRocket on 06 Mar 2020, edited 1 time in total.

Postby TheRocket

thats because Hawkins played to a very high level in the 2nd round. O'Sullivan made 12 60+ breaks in that match and lost.

It was one of the so called Hawkins beast mode performances followed by a rubbish performance the next round.

Postby Pink Ball

TheRocket wrote:

nope he would. Selby was lucky he won it in 2016. Probably as bad as I've seen someone play and win the World title. He even struggled against Sam freaking Baird in the second round. In the final he benefited from playing against a very nervy Ding who lost the first six frames.

in 2017 however Selby was a different beast . just compare the standard of the 2016 final between Selby and Ding and their 2017 semi. Its like night and day. 2017 was insane quality.

The 2016 final was a very good match too, though.

I get what you're saying. Selby didn't play well in the 2016 World Championship. But when he really needed to perform, he did. I think he'd have beaten O'Sullivan if it had come to it.

Postby Iranu

Pink Ball wrote:
TheRocket wrote:

I get what you're saying. Selby didn't play well in the 2016 World Championship. But when he really needed to perform, he did. I think he'd have beaten O'Sullivan if it had come to it.

Even in the final, every time Ding got close or threatened to, Selby upped his game and found a way to pull clear again.

Postby Pink Ball

Iranu wrote:
Pink Ball wrote:
TheRocket wrote:

Even in the final, every time Ding got close or threatened to, Selby upped his game and found a way to pull clear again.

Exactly my point.

Ding had a nightmare start, and I do sometimes wonder if the final would have gone very differently had he won the second frame. Overall, he actually played very well indeed. But the better man over the weekend won, and any time Ding put him under pressure, he had an answer.

Underrated match.

Postby Andre147

We'll never know if ROS would have beaten Selby over 4 sessions in the 2016 Semis. I'd like to think he would, as the Hawkins win would give him enough confidence.

But yeah against Selby it's always 50/50. Pure speculation of course, the match never happened.