Post a reply

Re: David Gray v Ronnie O’Sullivan

Postby vodkadiet1

I think O'Sullivan had 4 centuries in a row in going 5-1 up in that match. Incredible that he lost that match,

Postby Andre147

vodkadiet1 wrote:I think O'Sullivan had 4 centuries in a row in going 5-1 up in that match. Incredible that he lost that match,

Almost 4 centuries in a row yes. From 1-1, ROS made breaks of 123, 101, 115, plus a 96.

Wanted to watch that match for a long time so definately will watch it now. Pity they dont have the whole match of ROS v Drago in 1996.

Postby vodkadiet1

Andre147 wrote:
vodkadiet1 wrote:I think O'Sullivan had 4 centuries in a row in going 5-1 up in that match. Incredible that he lost that match,

Almost 4 centuries in a row yes. From 1-1, ROS made breaks of 123, 101, 115, plus a 96.

Wanted to watch that match for a long time so definately will watch it now. Pity they dont have the whole match of ROS v Drago in 1996.

ROS V Drago?!! That match was rubbish. I think O'Sullivan won 13-4 or 13-5. All this after he predicted he would 'pump' Drago 13-0!

Postby Cloud Strife

vodkadiet1 wrote:
Andre147 wrote:

ROS V Drago?!! That match was rubbish. I think O'Sullivan won 13-4 or 13-5. All this after he predicted he would 'pump' Drago 13-0!

Was this match before or after he assaulted Mike Ganley? This was also the year he had his famous run-in with Alain Robidoux in the first round. It was classic Ronnie throughout in 1996.

Postby vodkadiet1

Cloud Strife wrote:
vodkadiet1 wrote:
Andre147 wrote:

Was this match before or after he assaulted Mike Ganley? This was also the year he had his famous run-in with Alain Robidoux in the first round. It was classic Ronnie throughout in 1996.

Yes it was. He assaulted Ganley after the Drago match. They were going to default him before his quarter match with Higgins but the authorities bottled out. And he then came from 10-5 down to beat Higgins 13-12. I bet Higgins was happy with World Snooker!
Last edited by vodkadiet1 on 04 Mar 2020, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Cloud Strife

vodkadiet1 wrote:
Cloud Strife wrote:
vodkadiet1 wrote:
Andre147 wrote:

Yes it was. He assaulted Ganley after the Drago match. They was going to default him before his quarter match with Higgins but the authorities bottled out. And he then came from 10-5 down to beat Higgins 13-12. I bet Higgins was happy with World Snooker!

That Higgins game was one of Ronnie's greatest comebacks ever. I managed to run home from school that afternoon and caught the last three frames to see Ronnie win from 12-10 down!

He almost completed a similar comeback against Ebdon in the semi-finals but fell just short.

Postby Cloud Strife

Regarding the Robidoux left-handed controversy...

"When Ronnie O'Sullivan first displayed his left-handed ability in the 1996 World Championship against Alain Robidoux, the Canadian accused him of disrespect and refused to shake hands after the match.

He was summoned to a disciplinary hearing in response to Robidoux's formal complaint, where he had to prove that he could play to a high level with his left hand. He played three frames of snooker against former world championship runner-up Rex Williams, winning all three. The charge of bringing the game into disrepute was subsequently dropped"

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/ang ... html%3famp

This was bizarre IMO. Ronnie shouldn't have had to prove anything to anybody, but there you go.

Postby Cloud Strife

Ronnie didn't win the World Championship in 1996, but it was certainly a memorable campaign for him. One of my favourites ever, and solidified me as a lifelong fan.

Postby vodkadiet1

Cloud Strife wrote:Regarding the Robidoux left-handed controversy...

"When Ronnie O'Sullivan first displayed his left-handed ability in the 1996 World Championship against Alain Robidoux, the Canadian accused him of disrespect and refused to shake hands after the match.

He was summoned to a disciplinary hearing in response to Robidoux's formal complaint, where he had to prove that he could play to a high level with his left hand. He played three frames of snooker against former world championship runner-up Rex Williams, winning all three. The charge of bringing the game into disrepute was subsequently dropped"

This was bizarre IMO. Ronnie shouldn't have had to prove anything to anybody, but there you go.

Maybe Robidoux didn't shake hands because he feared getting 'Covid -14', Covid - 15' or 'Covid - 16'? I am not sure what 'Covid' they were up to at that stage. Robidoux had his health to be concerned with more than worrying about etiquette.

I bet 'Sexy Rexy' (as Alex Higgins used to call him) was mortified at losing those 3 frames to O'Sullivan!

Postby Badsnookerplayer

Cloud Strife wrote:Regarding the Robidoux left-handed controversy...

Totally agree - bizarre to think there was a time when this could be considered disciplinary.

Robidoux came across as a bad tempered sore loser to me.

Postby SnookerEd25

The match i'd really like to see again is Ronnie v Andy Hicks from the 2004 WC. O'Sullivan pretty much destroyed everyone that year (10-6 Maguire, 13-3 Hamilton, 17-4 Hendry, 18-8 Dott) but Hicks pushed him all the way to 13-11 and it was nip and tuck all the way. They were like 2 boxers going toe-to-toe and blasting away at each other. Hicks was really classy on his day - pity he only found it rarely in his prime.

Unfortunately, I can't find any footage from this match, but hopefully it might surface one day. Somebody must have it on an old VHS tape gathering dust somewhere, surely?

Postby vodkadiet1

SnookerEd25 wrote:The match i'd really like to see again is Ronnie v Andy Hicks from the 2004 WC. O'Sullivan pretty much destroyed everyone that year (10-6 Maguire, 13-3 Hamilton, 17-4 Hendry, 18-8 Dott) but Hicks pushed him all the way to 13-11 and it was nip and tuck all the way. They were like 2 boxers going toe-to-toe and blasting away at each other. Hicks was really classy on his day - pity he only found it rarely in his prime.

Unfortunately, I can't find any footage from this match, but hopefully it might surface one day. Somebody must have it on an old VHS tape gathering dust somewhere, surely?

Yes. Hicks was 10-9 up and O'Sullivan was in real danger. I remember during the second session when O'Sullivan walked past Hicks while he was at the table and three the balls around ( therefore conceding), and then Hicks returned the flight in the following frame.

Postby TheRocket

David Gray in 2000 and Barry Hawkins in 2016. These are the two matches which I regard as the only two matches Ronnie lost at the Crucible despite playing at his peak.

And the Hicks match in 2004 almost became another one of those. O'Sullivan made 5 centuries in that match (like he did against Gray) but just couldnt shake him off. At some stage frustration came into play and he punched the table. But unlike the Gray match he scraped over the line that time and from then on it was a straightforward run to the title.

Postby Cloud Strife

TheRocket wrote:David Gray in 2000 and Barry Hawkins in 2016. These are the two matches which I regard as the only two matches Ronnie lost at the Crucible despite playing at his peak.

And the Hicks match in 2004 almost became another one of those. O'Sullivan made 5 centuries in that match (like he did against Gray) but just couldnt shake him off. At some stage frustration came into play and he punched the table. But unlike the Gray match he scraped over the line that time and from then on it was a straightforward run to the title.

I keep reading this from you and its just not true. Ronnie played okay, but nowhere near his peak.

He scored well when in, but his long-potting was weak throughout. And his safety and tactical play was far too loose giving Hawkins plenty of chances.

I think you need to go back and watch that whole match again.

Postby Andre147

Pink Ball wrote:O'Sullivan was far better against Gray than against Hawkins. To say he was at his peak against Hawkins is to not remember the match properly. His tactical play was so loose.

Having now watched that match with Gray, you're right yeah.

He may have been at his best scoring wise v Hawkins, but overall his game was in better shape against Gray and he still lost that one. He was just unlucky both of them gave the performance of their lives to beat him.

Postby Alex0paul

And if you want it
Come and get it
Crying out loud
The love that I was
Giving you was
Never in doubt
Let go of your heart
Let go of your head
And feel it now
Let go of your heart
Let go of your head
And feel it now

Babylon, Babylon, Babylon

Postby Iranu

Cloud Strife wrote:
TheRocket wrote:David Gray in 2000 and Barry Hawkins in 2016. These are the two matches which I regard as the only two matches Ronnie lost at the Crucible despite playing at his peak.

I keep reading this from you and its just not true. Ronnie played okay, but nowhere near his peak.

He scored well when in, but his long-potting was weak throughout. And his safety and tactical play was far too loose giving Hawkins plenty of chances.

I think you need to go back and watch that whole match again.

:goodpost:

Postby Dan-cat

Alex0paul wrote:And if you want it
Come and get it
Crying out loud
The love that I was
Giving you was
Never in doubt
Let go of your heart
Let go of your head
And feel it now
Let go of your heart
Let go of your head
And feel it now

Babylon, Babylon, Babylon

Cracmin album. Bit suicide bedsit music, as my Dad would call it, but still great.

Postby TheRocket

many people seem to disagree with me in terms of the Hawkins match. I'll watch that match again to maybe reconsider my opinion.

But I still believe that Ronnie would have won the World title that year (2016) had he beaten Hawkins.

Postby Andre147

TheRocket wrote:many people seem to disagree with me in terms of the Hawkins match. I'll watch that match again to maybe reconsider my opinion.

But I still believe that Ronnie would have won the World title that year (2016) had he beaten Hawkins.

Oh yes I believe so too. Even ROS himself said so in an interview, he really felt had he won that he would go on to win the whole thing.

He was playing well, and who knows, he could have tighten up his safety play in further rounds. But he didn't win sadly.