Re: Australia joins the fun

Postby SnookerEd25

Eurovision

Eurosport

They won't be happy until they're in the EU :wild:

(I hear there's a vacancy... :emb: )

Postby SnookerFan

Yeah, I never got Australia's inclusion in Eurovision.

It's a rather liberal interpretation of what counts as Europe.

Postby HappyCamper

SnookerFan wrote:Yeah, I never got Australia's inclusion in Eurovision.

It's a rather liberal interpretation of what counts as Europe.

The Australian broadcaster is an associate member of the EBU and Eurovision is popular there. The contest has never been restricted to Europe.

Postby McManusFan

Eurosport Australia is a pale imitation of the stuff you lot get in Europe - no Eurosport player, no Eurosport 2 and it's exclusive to a single cable provider. If they had the player over here I'd snap that up in a heartbeat, I'm sick of dodgy streams!

Postby Holden Chinaski

McManusFan wrote:Eurosport Australia is a pale imitation of the stuff you lot get in Europe - no Eurosport player, no Eurosport 2 and it's exclusive to a single cable provider. If they had the player over here I'd snap that up in a heartbeat, I'm sick of dodgy streams!

I don't understand why the player isn't available worldwide.

Postby McManusFan

Holden Chinaski wrote:
McManusFan wrote:Eurosport Australia is a pale imitation of the stuff you lot get in Europe - no Eurosport player, no Eurosport 2 and it's exclusive to a single cable provider. If they had the player over here I'd snap that up in a heartbeat, I'm sick of dodgy streams!

Must be a rights issue. For instance Eurosport have the Australian Open (sorry to bring up tennis) in Europe, but that's on free to air TV here. In principle they could just make the stuff they can show available, but I guess they can't be bothered to update the player for different regions.

Postby Holden Chinaski

McManusFan wrote:
Holden Chinaski wrote:

Must be a rights issue. For instance Eurosport have the Australian Open (sorry to bring up tennis) in Europe, but that's on free to air TV here. In principle they could just make the stuff they can show available, but I guess they can't be bothered to update the player for different regions.

Yes, but if Eurosport doesn't have the rights to snooker in Australia then who does? I take it it Eurosport are the only ones showing snooker in Australia, so surely they could offer the player like they do anywhere else?

Postby McManusFan

Holden Chinaski wrote:
McManusFan wrote:
Holden Chinaski wrote:

Yes, but if Eurosport doesn't have the rights to snooker in Australia then who does? I take it it Eurosport are the only ones showing snooker in Australia, so surely they could offer the player like they do anywhere else?

Yeah nobody else shows the snooker, so yes the could certainly broadcast that but they don't, I'm guessing because of other sports they don't have the local rights to.

Postby Holden Chinaski

McManusFan wrote:
Holden Chinaski wrote:
McManusFan wrote:
Holden Chinaski wrote:

Yeah nobody else shows the snooker, so yes the could certainly broadcast that but they don't, I'm guessing because of other sports they don't have the local rights to.

That sucks. I have the player and it's great. I wonder if you could get the player some way using those vpn things that hide or change your location. I don't know anything about that but maybe that could work.

Postby McManusFan

Yeah I could definitely get a VPN, but you'd have to pay for that on top of the player and then it starts getting a little expensive. Not sure that would help for this tournament as it's on ITV anyway.

Postby Prop

I’ve got a friend in Oz and apparently he gets all the Premiership and Champions League football on normal TV? Not a bad silver lining.

Postby HustleKing

Prop wrote:I’ve got a friend in Oz and apparently he gets all the Premiership and Champions League football on normal TV? Not a bad silver lining.

Depends what the commentary teams are!

Postby McManusFan

Prop wrote:I’ve got a friend in Oz and apparently he gets all the Premiership and Champions League football on normal TV? Not a bad silver lining.

Really? I don't think I've ever seen that on the free to air TV. That said I rarely watch any channel other than the ABC, or maybe it's just because it'll be on at an ungodly hour over here.

Postby Alex0paul

Was hoping the Australian Open was returning

Postby McManusFan

Alex0paul wrote:Was hoping the Australian Open was returning

Me too, it was bloody annoying that they dropped it in the year I moved out here! It'd be great if they put it on instead of the China open this year, but that ain't happening.

Postby SnookerEd25

Compromise : restore it to the calendar, but play it in Barnsley. Sorted.

Postby Alex0paul

I’m sure they played it in Hong Kong one year