Who do you rate as the greater player?

Ken Doherty
64%
Stuart Bingham
36%

Total votes : 22

Postby TheRocket

Doherty played in more finals , particularly major finals but he almost lost all of them. Granted, he lost to All time greats.

But the stats say that Bingham has had more success now. Both won the World title and six rankers. But Bingham has just added another big title to his trophy cabinet by winning the Masters.

Re: Who do you rate as the greater player?

Postby Andre147

Voted Bingham.

I'm certain many will say Doherty won his rankers during the most competitive era, but at the end of the day titles are what matter.

Postby SnookerFan

Andre147 wrote:Voted Bingham.

I'm certain many will say Doherty won his rankers during the most competitive era, but at the end of the day titles are what matter.

I'd say it was fairly even at the moment.

Basically the only difference currently is that Bingham won The Masters. I'm sure that some people will say that Bingham had to beat Gilbert, Wilson and Carter as an 'easy' route. But that's swings and roundabouts. His route to the The Crucible was amongst the hardest.

I'd probably go Bingham, just because I expect him to win more ranking events before he's retired.

Postby SnookerFan

Saying that, I do find comparing eras to be difficult.

Not just about who was playing at the time, but how many tournaments there were. There was a point when there was only six rankers in a year, so you got a lot less chances to win tournaments.

Though I understand what he's saying, I'm not entirely convinced by Sir Clive's thoughts on; "Trophies trump opinions every time." What about a person who was playing when less tournaments existed?

Postby TheRocket

The Jester from Leicester wrote:Ken Doherty. This shouldn't even be up for discussion.

Not at all.
Bingham has won that important second additional major besides the World Championship. Something which Doherty failed to do. If you go for pure stats and titles Bingham has actually done better than Doherty now by winning the Masters.

Its only the tough era argument (which is a fair argument) which saves Doherty and maybe still puts him above Bingham.

Postby Andre147

SnookerFan wrote:Like I said earlier.

The amount of tournaments per season has to be taken into account as well.

Yes I'm sure him and a few other top players from the past would have won more tournaments if they had the same number as today. Doherty is of course a prime example.

Titles wise he's now better than Bingham, but his era was definately tougher, and like Cloud mentioned, he ended Hendry's reign at The Crucible after 5 consesutive titles.

Postby Pink Ball

Johnny Bravo wrote:Bingo for me.
Both at their best, Bingo wins it. He's a far better scorer.

And so what if he is a far better scorer? Doherty was far craftier. Both at their best in a best-of-35, Doherty would tie Bingham up far too often for Bingham to win.

Doherty would probably have three or four frames to spare on him. Definitely a more complete player than Bingham.