Post a reply

Colour blindness

Postby JohnC

Just heard in the commentary on the O'Sullivan/Wilson match, that there are colour blind players playing at top level, which I would have thought unlikely.

Apparently, Mark Williams, Mark Allen, Peter Ebdon and Marco Fu are all colour blind.

Are there any other top players?

Re: Colour blindness

Postby Badsnookerplayer

JohnC wrote:Just heard in the commentary on the O'Sullivan/Wilson match, that there are colour blind players playing at top level, which I would have thought unlikely.

Apparently, Mark Williams, Mark Allen, Peter Ebdon and Marco Fu are all colour blind.

Are there any other top players?

Andy Lee I think

Postby vodkadiet1

There are levels of colour blindness. I have moderate colour blindness. I believe Ebdon has the most severe of the present players. Jimmy White is another who is at least partially colour blind.

Postby HappyCamper

i think it's something like 1 in 12 of the general population are colour blind. and it skews slightly towards men. so i wouldn't be surprised if there were a few more.

Postby vodkadiet1

HappyCamper wrote:i think it's something like 1 in 12 of the general population are colour blind. and it skews slightly towards men. so i wouldn't be surprised if there were a few more.

Yes. Far more men are colour blind than women.

There is actually an island in the South Seas where most of the residents are colour blind.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-34346428
Last edited by vodkadiet1 on 16 Feb 2020, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Alex0paul

Nobody told me you'd feel so good
Nobody said you'd be so beautiful
Nobody warned me about your smile
You're the light, you're the light
When I close my eyes, I'm color blind
You make me color blind

Postby SnookerFan

rekoons wrote:I only knew about peter ebdon

Me too.

Though Mark Williams rings a bit of a bell.

Postby Andre147

And regarding the subject, if the player asks the referee, he must tell which colour he's refering to, and normally that would be red and brown.

I once saw Ebdon play at the brown thinking it was a red, pretty sure this came at the Grand Prix, 2006 or 2007.

Postby vodkadiet1

Andre147 wrote:And regarding the subject, if the player asks the referee, he must tell which colour he's refering to, and normally that would be red and brown.

I once saw Ebdon play at the brown thinking it was a red, pretty sure this came at the Grand Prix, 2006 or 2007.

It was in the 2008 Grand Prix in Glasgow.

Here is a clip where Ebdon talks about colour blindness. I am green/blue colour blind which is not as common.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KIonVI2vI90