Post a reply

Who is the current best snooker commentator?

Phil Yates
33%
Neal Foulds
6%
Steve Davis
No votes
Ken Doherty
No votes
John Parrott
No votes
Stephen Hendry
11%
Alan McManus
17%
Dennis Taylor
No votes
John Virgo
6%
Willie Thorne
11%
Dave Hendon
No votes
Joe Johnson
No votes
Phillip Studd
No votes
Dominic Dale
6%
Peter Ebdon
No votes
Clive Everon
11%

Total votes : 18

Re: Who is the current best snooker commentator?

Postby SteveJJ

In this months snooker scene, Clive says ITV haven't employed him for any of the Coral tournaments. That they've assured him its not down to the quality of his work and the door isn't closed for the future.

He had mobility issues last season and had a trapped nerve freed last summer. This hasn't fully brought back his mobility but he managed the full 7 days of the Champion of Champions without any ill effect.

So despite what ITV have said, the curtain may be being drawn on his career.

Postby SnookerFan

SteveJJ wrote:In this months snooker scene, Clive says ITV haven't employed him for any of the Coral tournaments. That they've assured him its not down to the quality of his work and the door isn't closed for the future.

He had mobility issues last season and had a trapped nerve freed last summer. This hasn't fully brought back his mobility but he managed the full 7 days of the Champion of Champions without any ill effect.

That's sad. Hope he is okay.

Postby Holden Chinaski

SteveJJ wrote:In this months snooker scene, Clive says ITV haven't employed him for any of the Coral tournaments. That they've assured him its not down to the quality of his work and the door isn't closed for the future.

That sucks :-(

Postby Johnny Bravo

ITV is run by idiots. Clive is the best out there. It will be a sad day for snooker when he'll be gone.

Postby Andre147

Johnny Bravo wrote:

ITV is run by idiots. Clive is the best out there. It will be a sad day for snooker when he'll be gone.

But ITV still make use of him, unlike BBC which sacked him.

Postby mick745

I remember the good old days when a commentator would be complimented by a former or current pro, such as Rex Williams or Ray Edmonds. Jack Karnhm had the best snooker voice in history and didnt feel the need to talk constantly. We are watching the pictures we can see what is happening for Christ sake.

I dont think it has worked so well since the ex pros have all been given equal status, not one as lead and the other as summariser.

The BBC think the only qualification needed is to be former world champion or wn1. Ability to commentate is not a necessary qualification.

Used to like Taylor but hearing the same stories for 25 years grates.

I think Parrott is okay.

Hendry talks sense but his accent means i find him harder to listen to.

My current favourite i think is Foulds. Looking forward to Judgement day with him commentating all day.

Postby SnookerFan

mick745 wrote:I remember the good old days when a commentator would be complimented by a former or current pro, such as Rex Williams or Ray Edmonds. Jack Karnhm had the best snooker voice in history and didnt feel the need to talk constantly. We are watching the pictures we can see what is happening for Christ sake.

I dont think it has worked so well since the ex pros have all been given equal status, not one as lead and the other as summariser.

The BBC think the only qualification needed is to be former world champion or wn1. Ability to commentate is not a necessary qualification.

Used to like Taylor but hearing the same stories for 25 years grates.

I think Parrott is okay.

Hendry talks sense but his accent means i find him harder to listen to.

My current favourite i think is Foulds. Looking forward to Judgement day with him commentating all day.

You were doing so well until you said Parrott was okay. rofl

Postby Iranu

Johnny Bravo wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:You were doing so well until you said Parrott was okay. rofl

Compared to the likes of Taylor and Virgo, Parrott is more than ok.

Virgo’s comfortably better than Parrott!

Postby HustleKing

Think Angles is the best as he is both rarely biased (even when Maguire was playing Ding in the UK Final) and he doesn't insist on making the audience hear as many of his one liners as possible. All the rest have at least one of the above problems, although I haven't heard enough of Ebdon and Dale so will reserve judgement on them

Postby Iranu

Dan-cat wrote:I love that Phil Yates is leading, after how all but two of you slay him daily.

He was doing rubbish until the scores got reset.

It’s a fix.

Postby HustleKing

Dan-cat wrote:I love that Phil Yates is leading, after how all but two of you slay him daily.

Yates can't even hold his own in 9 ball comms, the Americans, other Englishmen and even a Dutchman (Alex Lely), wipe the floor with him in that sport too

Postby Johnny Bravo

HustleKing wrote:

Yates can't even hold his own in 9 ball comms, the Americans, other Englishmen and even a Dutchman (Alex Lely), wipe the floor with him in that sport too

Well said.

Postby SnookerEd25

McManusFan wrote:McManus for me. Foulds is also pretty good, although perhaps he's better in the studio. Everton is also worth a mention.

Someone I really miss is Terry Griffiths, what a great voice.

He's back!

and you're right, it was like easing oneself into a bath of undiluted double cream.

(i'm on medication)

Virgo is a wa*ker; how can you take anyone seriously who'd rather be watching horse racing? :grrr:

Postby SnookerFan

SnookerEd25 wrote:
McManusFan wrote:McManus for me. Foulds is also pretty good, although perhaps he's better in the studio. Everton is also worth a mention.

He's back!

and you're right, it was like easing oneself into a bath of undiluted double cream.

(i'm on medication)

Virgo is a wa*ker; how can you take anyone seriously who'd rather be watching horse racing? :grrr:

I objected to that Match Of The bucking Day rant.

Not because he swore, but because he's a guy that's paid to watch snooker for a living that was whining that one session he was watching wasn't particularly interesting.

Let's break this down. The BBC air 8 days of The Masters, 9 days of the UK Championship and 17 days of The Crucible a year. That's 34 days a year that Virgo has to work doing commentary. That gives him just under eleven months out of a year to watch horse racing and Match Of The Day. So he has to miss an episode once because a match overruns, and he's heard having a sweary rant off camera. I tell you what, if somebody offered me a living where I only had to work one month out of the year, I wouldn't complain. In fact, if somebody offered to pay me to watch snooker, I bet I'd do it for a lot less than Virgo and would happily do it for more tournaments than he does. Even the year they got him to do the Welsh Open on BBC Wales, that only takes his total up to 41 days out of 365 that he has to 'suffer' through being paid to watch a sport I pay hundreds of pounds a year travelling to watch.

Does he really think that having to sit through one boring session of snooker is a hardship? If so, they could fire him and I'd do the job for a quarter of whatever they're paying him.

Postby Dan-cat

Iranu wrote:

It’s a fix.

He wasn't on the list. That's when it got reset.

If you don't like Yates, you don't like the English language.

Postby Dan-cat

SnookerFan wrote:
SnookerEd25 wrote:

He's back!

(i'm on medication)

I objected to that Match Of The bucking Day rant.

Not because he swore, but because he's a guy that's paid to watch snooker for a living that was whining that one session he was watching wasn't particularly interesting.

Let's break this down. The BBC air 8 days of The Masters, 9 days of the UK Championship and 17 days of The Crucible a year. That's 34 days a year that Virgo has to work doing commentary. That gives him just under eleven months out of a year to watch horse racing and Match Of The Day. So he has to miss an episode once because a match overruns, and he's heard having a sweary rant off camera. I tell you what, if somebody offered me a living where I only had to work one month out of the year, I wouldn't complain. In fact, if somebody offered to pay me to watch snooker, I bet I'd do it for a lot less than Virgo and would happily do it for more tournaments than he does. Even the year they got him to do the Welsh Open on BBC Wales, that only takes his total up to 41 days out of 365 that he has to 'suffer' through being paid to watch a sport I pay hundreds of pounds a year travelling to watch.

Does he really think that having to sit through one boring session of snooker is a hardship? If so, they could fire him and I'd do the job for a quarter of whatever they're paying him.

Virgo still thinks of himself a huge star from Saturday night TV.

Postby SnookerFan

Dan-cat wrote:
Iranu wrote:

It’s a fix.

He wasn't on the list. That's when it got reset.

If you don't like Yates, you don't like the English language.

Is that what you call the garbage that he speaks?