Post a reply

Let's concede

Postby Sauce321

So Gilbert is playing for a seat in a final, where he can win 250K, wich is 25% of his 20 years lifetime earnings.

And the guy needing 2 or 3 snookers whatever just shake Stuart's hand and go back to his farm. Happy with the 60K.

Damn I love snooker but I hate this whole giving up thingy.

Re: Let's concede

Postby HustleKing

Bet you loved it when Alain Robidoux didn't give up against Ronnie? :roll:

Postby Iranu

I do find it strange that players concede so easily in big matches.

Postby HappyCamper

never concede, every frame to the black!

Postby Johnny Bravo

Iranu wrote:I do find it strange that players concede so easily in big matches.

I always concede when needing more than 2 snookers unless I have an easy position of getting the first one.
Gilbo did the right thing. There's no point playing on for 3 snookers against a fellow top pro, he'll always get out of them.
If Gilbo was playing against us than sure, play on, but against a fellow pro, it's like an insult to that guy.

Postby Andre147

Didnt Carter get 2 or 3 snookers at this Masters against probably the best tactician, Mark Selby?

3 is definately doable. 4 or more and it's highly unlikely.

Postby Ck147

Johnny Bravo wrote:

I always concede when needing more than 2 snookers unless I have an easy position of getting the first one.
Gilbo did the right thing. There's no point playing on for 3 snookers against a fellow top pro, he'll always get out of them.
If Gilbo was playing against us than sure, play on, but against a fellow pro, it's like an insult to that guy.

Most times yeah, sometimes it works though, Robbo got 4 (IIRC) a couple of tournaments ago to win the frame, but ultimately lost the match because he was too far behind. Worth going for in some situations.

Postby Johnny Bravo

Ck147 wrote:
Johnny Bravo wrote:

Most times yeah, sometimes it works though, Robbo got 4 (IIRC) a couple of tournaments ago to win the frame, but ultimately lost the match because he was too far behind. Worth going for in some situations.

If the balls are laying in favorable positions so that you can get snookers behind them, sure, but if they are not, it's very unlikely you'll win that frame.

Postby HappyCamper

i think slessor won a frame from needing seven snookers in a match not that long ago. idk if that it is a record. but really anything more than a two or three is highly unlikely unless the balls are in favourable positions.

Postby Johnny Bravo

HappyCamper wrote:i think slessor won a frame from needing seven snookers in a match not that long ago. idk if that it is a record. but really anything more than a two or three is highly unlikely unless the balls are in favourable positions.

Yea, but like I said, it's one thing to win needing snookers against a top player and another thing if u are up against an average player.
Let me put it this way: NOBODY, and I mean NOBODY wins against a player like ROS, Higgins, Trump, Selbo, Willo, Smurf, Robbo etc, if he needs 7 snookers.

Postby Ck147

Johnny Bravo wrote:
HappyCamper wrote:i think slessor won a frame from needing seven snookers in a match not that long ago. idk if that it is a record. but really anything more than a two or three is highly unlikely unless the balls are in favourable positions.

Yea, but like I said, it's one thing to win needing snookers against a top player and another thing if u are up against an average player.
Let me put it this way: NOBODY, and I mean NOBODY wins against a player like ROS, Higgins, Trump, Selbo, Willo, Smurf, Robbo etc, if he needs 7 snookers.

No argument there, I would lose if you needed 9 snookers to win, but I wouldn't even get that many points in front in the first place!

Postby hendry_fan

I can remember the match in which Slessor almost won the frame,he got the 7 snookers,enough foul points gained,it was against Zhang Anda at the Welsh Open 2019.

I can,t remember exactly what happened,but i can remember him gaining enough points due to Zhang Fouling and Slessor gettin a free ball(s),only to end up missing an easy pink.

It was the 4th frame,it was put up on YouTube but it,s unfortunatley been taken down,a guy called Nikolay uploaded it.

Slessor ended up winning the match 4-2 though.

Here,s the scoreing: 11-86(73); 55-39; 73-46; 67-81(75); 76(76)-0; 62-48

Match Progress: 0-1, 1-1, 2-1, 2-2, 3-2, 4-2

Postby HappyCamper

hendry_fan wrote:

I can remember the match in which Slessor almost won the frame,he got the 7 snookers,it was against Zhang Anda at the Welsh Open 2019.

I can,t remember exactly what happened,but i can remember him gaining enough points due to Zhang Fouling and Slessor gettin a free ball(s),only to end up missing an easy pink.

It was the 4th frame,it was put up on YouTube but it,s unfortunatley been taken down,a guy called Nikolay uploaded it.

Slessor ended up winning the match 4-2 though.

Here,s the scoreing: 11-86(73); 55-39; 73-46; 67-81(75); 76(76)-0; 62-48

Match Progress: 0-1, 1-1, 2-1, 2-2, 3-2, 4-2

ha ha, what a numtpie should have just conceded. got to the pub earlier.

Postby Sauce321

Johnny Bravo wrote:

You have miracle comebacks in every sports. Just a matter of probability. You always have a slight chance.

Postby SnookerFan

Sauce321 wrote:
Johnny Bravo wrote:

You have miracle comebacks in every sports. Just a matter of probability. You always have a slight chance.

But what if your opponent needs less than two frames?

Postby vodkadiet1

Sauce321 wrote:
Johnny Bravo wrote:

Steve Davis won a frame against an 87 year old great grandmother once after needing 11 snookers. He gave her 190 start in a one frame match and won on the black!

Postby vodkadiet1

I have seen Hendry and White concede frames when they could still tie a frame. White was 59 behind with 4 reds left, I think he was playing Tony Meo. And Hendry was 67 behind with 5 reds left against Carter at The 2007 Worlds in a frame and conceded. You would get reprimanded for that today.

Postby Dan-cat

The Jester from Leicester wrote:I think playing on for 3 or 4 Snookers is perfectly reasonable. It amazes me when players give up needing 1 or 2.

Agreed. What does stop them sometimes is the lie of the table.

Postby SnookerFan

The Jester from Leicester wrote:I think playing on for 3 or 4 Snookers is perfectly reasonable. It amazes me when players give up needing 1 or 2.

I'd agree with this.

It can sometimes interrupt the flow of the game. But at the same time, they are professionals and are trying to win a game. They're perfectly entitled to, if they want to. It's their livelihood at the end of the day.

Postby The_Abbott

HappyCamper wrote:never concede, every frame to the black!

even if your 140 points down?

Postby SnookerFan

The_Abbott wrote:
HappyCamper wrote:never concede, every frame to the black!

even if your 140 points down?

What if those were all foul points, and there was still 147 points on the table?

Postby Dan-cat

It's been mentioned before but often the decision is based on the lay of the table, whether the balls are nicely set for snookers. Sometimes, they just want to get on with the next frame.